When must I change my fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
most modern vehicle fuel pumps do not have diaphragms. there are three primary designs:
turbine gerotor (nippondenso, walbro/ti automotive, bosch, magnetti marelli, maybe delco)
gerotor (walbro/ti automotive)
roller vane (delco)

gerotor and roller vane pumps can chew through decent amounts of contamination, while turbine pumps are typically more sensitive. fuel pumps normally have a filter or screen on the intake end to prevent large chunks of contamination from entering the pump. to replace this filter typically involves replacing the pump as well.

if you look at your inline fuel filter and it is full of crap, it might be wise to drop the tank and check the fuel pump as well.

that first paragraph should have read:

most modern vehicle fuel pumps do not have diaphragms. there are three primary designs:
turbine (nippondenso, walbro/ti automotive, bosch, magnetti marelli, maybe delco)
gerotor (walbro/ti automotive)
roller vane (delco)

I finally got around to changing my almost 3 year old fuel filter. I must say, acceleration has improved a bit.

Old fuel filter, 0-100kph in 12.31 secs
New fuel filter, 0-100kph in 11.85 secs

Here are some photos of my old toyota filter I cut to see what's inside....paper! Can't see any dirt, but the paper has turned brown colour compared than the new filter which is a bright yellow.

-

-

-

I do not think we need to change the fuel filter.

Fuel Filter Maintenance

Question
What is the recommended maintenance interval for the fuel filter?

Answer
The fuel filter is typically not a scheduled maintenance item and only requires replacement if necessary. Please consult with your local Toyota dealership for additional information concerning fuel filter maintenance.

Jinsong

[ November 08, 2002, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back