BP gas pump horror!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new car last fall and from day one I have been using BP fuels because of the 5% rebate on their gas card and because they are a high detergent fuel, like Top Tier, but without the ethanol of Top Tier fuels.

This morning I was filling up at a BP station, I looked across the street and chuckled as I saw a generic tanker pumping no-name fuel into the no-name convenience store's underground tank. Then, to my horror, that same truck comes over to the BP station and starts pumping his no-name fuel into the BP stations tanks.

[censored] is going on here? Do BP stations not have to carry BP fuels?

I believe pretty much all fuel is delivered the same but then the company adds it's own additives to make it their own at the end of the refill.

Or the whole top tier stuff is a bogus lie and we're all using the same el' cheap gas but are paying a premium for it because its "BP, Shell" etc.
33.gif

No one can say for sure.

and after looking at that list I know why I use a maintenance dose of techron..

by me(and the area I drive for work)

there is 2 mobil stations that are always 20cents higher..

There are shell and some of those around by at the least.. not convenient to fill up at.

I have starfire, speedway, sheetz, bp, get-go, circle k

2oz techron concentrate = 60Cents

0.20 * 14gallon = $2.80

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Newreet
Quote:
Or the whole top tier stuff is a bogus lie and we're all using the same el' cheap gas but are paying a premium for it because its "BP, Shell" etc.
33.gif

I don't think BP is a Top Tier fuel, at least not at this time.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
BP does not participate in the Top Tier program because they believe it is a sham. I once read a press release from them on it and I'll see if I can find it again. It had something to do with them believing they should work with automakers to develop the best fuels possible, not get together with a bunch of other retailers and create awards for themselves.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
Originally Posted By: Newreet
Quote:
33.gif

I don't think BP is a Top Tier fuel, at least not at this time.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
BP does not participate in the Top Tier program because they believe it is a sham. I once read a press release from them on it and I'll see if I can find it again. It had something to do with them believing they should work with automakers to develop the best fuels possible, not get together with a bunch of other retailers and create awards for themselves.

Educate yourself on Top Tier fuel.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Top Tier standards was setup by CAR companies. BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi to be exact.

While BP is not Top Tier, they do have a good additive package.

Gas is from the same refinery for each area. The only difference is the additive packages that go into the fuel.

BP gas had BP additives in it. The tanker truck you saw has more than ONE tank in it. They can have several different, separate, tanks inside the main tank. It is more cost effective to deliver fuel that way than to send out separate tankers to each gas station.

And you got to wonder if the teen kid running the cash register remembers to pour in the specialty goodies additive package before the truck dumps its load.

Originally Posted By: sdowney717
And you got to wonder if the teen kid running the cash register remembers to pour in the specialty goodies additive package before the truck dumps its load.

The kid running the register does not touch the fuel or the additives.

Additives are added by the refinery at the refinery.

Fuel has been refined and sold for a long time. It's not like we are in a learning curve here.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Fuel has been refined and sold for a long time. It's not like we are in a learning curve here.

All additives beyond what the fuel specification calls for are added at the loading rack for the tanker.

Or maybe the truck driver has a button to push, one for BP, one Mobil, one for WaWA, etc...

not a button. You just hook the hose up to the correct line, turn the correct valve open.

Wawa more than likely does not have a proprietary additive package. They more than likely buy fuel from the refinery with a basic additive package that just meets the EPA standard.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

All additives beyond what the fuel specification calls for are added at the loading rack for the tanker.

Yes. Loading racks at remote locations piped from the refinery, or at the loading racks at the refinery.

A little bubble bursts here to go over. One BP no longer offer 5% on their credit card that has changed at the beginning of Mar. I received my new card just before then. The terms are different check ito out here: New BP Pump Rewards Link Two BP is not Top Tier but I am a firm believer in Top Tier fuels and believe that BP could meet the requirement if they were willing to pay in to the program. Three gas tankers can have as much as three different compartments in the truck to contain different brands/grades of fuel. Nothing going here at all I'm sure you are getting your BP fuel. And last all gas in the country has a 10% blend of ethanol unless you pump specifically states no alcohol.

Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
And last all gas in the country has a 10% blend of ethanol unless you pump specifically states no alcohol.
I agree with everything else you said but this last statement is absolutely untrue.

Ditto to Timothy's post on the 5% gas rebate credit card program. Their terms are incredibly confusing. If you search the internet, you'll find this program can actually result in <1% cash back in certain cases. I canned my BP card.

According to epa.gov every state has a mandate that requires the use of 10% ethanol in the gas. It's up to the particular station to offer a pump with alcohol free gas. According to Pure-gas.org Its usually a separately installed pump away from or integrated in with others. Some states require the use of stickers on their pumps alerting customers of the alcohol presence and your state is one of them. Just like quoted on fuel-tester.com "CAUTION: Many gas stations do not comply with E10 pump labeling requirements. NEVER ASSUME UN-LABELED PUMPS ARE ETHANOL-FREE." Unless stated somewhere on your BP property I would bet bottom dollar their is some form of alcohol in your gas.

When one goes to www.pure-gas.org can click on IA for IOWA which I assume the OP is from you don't get much for station results. Just my observations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
A little bubble bursts here to go over. One BP no longer offer 5% on their credit card that has changed at the beginning of Mar. I received my new card just before then. The terms are different check ito out here: New BP Pump Rewards Link Two BP is not Top Tier but I am a firm believer in Top Tier fuels and believe that BP could meet the requirement if they were willing to pay in to the program. Three gas tankers can have as much as three different compartments in the truck to contain different brands/grades of fuel. Nothing going here at all I'm sure you are getting your BP fuel. And last all gas in the country has a 10% blend of ethanol unless you pump specifically states no alcohol.

DITTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back