gorilla glue, is it that great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this stuff all the time, does it really bond better than all other glues on the market??? Supposedly the astronaut s use this product.

Got a free to me little tikes race car bed with no hardware, uses obscure hardware, its a discontinued model and LT doesnt make hard ware for it anymore ): hardware stores don't have anything close top the screws I need. If this stuff is strong enough, im gonna attempt to assemble it.
grin.gif

Yes absolutely. The original Gorilla Glue expands oddly enough. I've also used their wood glue and it is amazingly strong. Popular Mechanics Tested their tape and it hands down beat the competition.-Malcolm

Suggest you go to the Gorilla Glue website. In a nutshell, GG is a moisture activated polyurathane product. Where most run into trouble with the product is they try to use it without enough moisture to activate. When I contacted the GG Tech Dept, the rep told me to think of the moisture as a catalyst. You also have to clamp or at least mechanically fasten (for a few hours) the pieces together because as mentioned, the glue expands and will bubble out. It is very easy to use way too much than what is really required. When cured, it is waterproof.

Originally Posted By: jetmech1
Suggest you go to the Gorilla Glue website. In a nutshell, GG is a moisture activated polyurathane product. Where most run into trouble with the product is they try to use it without enough moisture to activate. When I contacted the GG Tech Dept, the rep told me to think of the moisture as a catalyst. You also have to clamp or at least mechanically fasten (for a few hours) the pieces together because as mentioned, the glue expands and will bubble out. It is very easy to use way too much than what is really required. When cured, it is bomb proof waterproof.

Fixed it for you...

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Yes absolutely. The original Gorilla Glue expands oddly enough. I've also used their wood glue and it is amazingly strong. Popular Mechanics Tested their tape and it hands down beat the competition.-Malcolm

I've heard great things about it fixing wood, ceramic, and tile but how well does it bond to plastic? I havent seen the tape but I am intrigued.

Quote:
I havent seen the tape but I am intrigued.

I always kept a roll around in our 5th Wheel RV. Came in handy one Sunday when a limb fell and cracked a skylight just when it was getting ready to storm. Got on top real quick and taped it up. Got hit with a real frog drowner & high winds. Not a drop came through.

Last edited:
It's good stuff...as others said, watch out for the expansion. Don't use too much.

Tape works great too...I'm sold

I have used their wood glue, very good for outside applications, it will expand, and in doing so, make a mess.
It also has a limited shelf life of about 6 weeks in our humid environment.

Be sure to where gloves that are water proof (some kink of rubber or neoprene).

If Gorilla Glue gets on your hands there is nothing that will get it off. It has to were off.

The uses I've put it through have been 100% successful. The only negative I've experienced is that it's like Crazy Glue in that once you open the container it won't be long until it has sealed itself up. There's still product in there but you can't get to it without making a whopper mess.

Thanks guys picked some up today, just got the race car bed assembled, seem to be holdin strong, my 3 year old is lovin it
grin.gif

For wood applications, is Gorilla Glue much better when compared to Titebond? All I've ever used is Titebond, so just curious.

PL Premium polyurethane construction adhesive is water cured and swells up as it cures. Works great on wood metal, etc...
Buy at Lowes or HD.

I use a lot of it. for filling big gaps and chunks, mix some saw dust into the glue and it cures solid in thick layers, thick as you wish. Cover it with plastic from a cereal bag and it wont stick, the glue will expand and fill every crack and crevice. 100% waterproof, I have used it underwater on my boat and it works fine. Dont apply it underwater.

I hate it.
It is messy and slow curing, and requires unknown water - it is vague.
It runs and hardens soft. A PITA to use and has variable results.

It's last on my list.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
For wood applications, is Gorilla Glue much better when compared to Titebond? All I've ever used is Titebond, so just curious.

bigmike, this past winter I tried to answer this question via Google and I got about as many answers and opinions as one would trying to determine the best oil. I must have about 20 bookmarks on the subject. The consensus I seemed to get is that the woodworkers favored PVA (Titebond) over Gorilla glue for furniture, etc.. The boat builders and guitar builders seemed to like other products better than gorilla glue.

The gap filling property discussed above was viewed a detriment regarding strength, as most think that this was much weaker than a properly fitted and clamped wood joint.

It "seems" that the marketing around Titebond III is a bit misleading regarding it's so called waterproof claims. I "learned" a lot about these PVA glues (regular,II, and III)regarding creep, set times, shelf life, repairability/reglue, etc..

If anyone wants to get into a detailed discussion, lets go. I think that Gorilla Glue has marketed itself to make everyone believe it is the strongest, bestest glue around. Much depends on it application and proper use.

Comments? I have used a fair amount of regular wood glue, but have no experience with Gorilla Glue. Once a glue joint is stronger than the wood, what point is there to anything stronger?

I used gorilla glue and biscuits to glue 3 mahogany stringers inside a 4 foot skateboard made of 12 ply 5/8" baltic birch plywood.

I wet all mating surfaces with a wet sponge before application, and left the clamps on it for 48 hours.

I sanded it flat, poly'd it, put the trucks on it, and the first time I stepped on it, the glue lines split. I think the glue in the plywood and the gorilla glue did not like each other.

I've just been using tite bond 2 or 3 for everything else since it does not go off in the container. The only issues I've had with tite bond were on too fresh of lumber, and removing the clamps too quickly cause I needed them elsewhere.

Have rarely used the product again.

GG has failed on me joining roughed up glass and aluminum too. I pretty much just use surfboard epoxy for anything not plastic which I need to never part and will not see excessive temps.

I don't like the 5 minute epoxies for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back