When must I change my fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's usually a good idea to change the fuel filter about every year or so, maybe two years at the most. I wouldn't want to go much more than 50,000 miles (80,000km) on a fuel filter, especially if there is any question as to the quality of the fuel you are running.

Is there a recommended interval in your manual? Most GMs don't have a change interval anymore. I usually change it when I have driveability issues, but I've seen them clog in 40k miles, and I've seen them not clogged at 100k miles.

When must you change the filter? When it's clogged and your car doesn't run smoothly.

Ken, the key is to change it before you have issues. I would say that with 53,000 miles on yor Camry, now is a good time to change it. I usually change mine at around 60,000 and then 120,000, and I have never had a problem.
patriot.gif

-Joe

FWIW my wife's car has 62,000km (38.5k) and still is on the OEM fuel filter.

I do plan on taking it in soon to get it changed, along with the trans fluid too.

With the elecric pumps these days used with the FI motors I choose every 30 K just so "if" there is partial blockage the pump don't have to work so hard and will last longer. Many friends that own repair shops have told me that all the premature fuel pumps going south they have seen has had a stopped up filter.

That is other than certain year GM trucks with design problems

My thoughts are with 131 in the tank most of the time,the pump will last longer becase it is lubed

My thoughts are with 131 in the tank most of the time,the pump will last longer becase it is lubed

Dragboat, I never thought of that but it is a very interesting point.

In analizing this, in a electric or mechanical fuel pump, you have a diaphram that is actually, the only moving part in this where fuel would contact. This type of lubricant would infact help keep the fuel from hardening this diaphram giving the longer life to the fuel pump as well as keeping the lines clean from internal varnish and such that may over time cause fuel contamination.

Thanks, something else I learned today.
bob

[ September 29, 2002, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

On gasoline engines we try to change every year as mentioned to protect the pump. On Diesels it was every oil change or second oil change with draining the water in between. With diesel additive, it is every 4 or 5 changes. and haven't had the water alarm sound yet.

Quote:
"This type of lubricant would infact help keep the fuel from hardening this diaphram giving the longer life to the fuel pump as well)

Hey!
smile.gif
Brings up another point,the fuel pressure regulators,any end of shaft seals on pumps, would benefit as well,I had not thought about conditioning of seals now it has been found to actually be an Ester. A versatile product for sure
burnout.gif

Depends on your car, and where the filter is located as far as I'm concerned. For example, Honda filters are bolted right onto the firewall: open the hood and you're staring right at it. They cost $20 from the dealer, much cheaper for aftermarket. I'll change those once a year or every 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. On the other hand, Saturns from '98 on have the fuel pressure regulator integrated with the fuel filter underneath the car by the gas tank. The good news is, you change the fuel pressure regulator every time you change the filter. The bad news is, it's a pain to change, and it costs $100 plus for a new one. The interval is every 100,000 miles. I did it at 125,000 and don't plan on doing it again until I have driveability problems.

quote:

On the other hand, Saturns from '98 on have the fuel pressure regulator integrated with the fuel filter underneath the car by the gas tank.

My filter is underneath the car IN the gas tank. Guess I'll have to change that one on the weekend.
grin.gif

I change the one in my 98 chevy truck every 15,000 miles which usually equates to about a year and a half of driving for me.

Fuel pumps and fuel injectors for this truck are not cheap, so I want to make sure that I don't have a restriction or dirty fuel problem.

Wayne

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:
Depends on your car, and where the filter is located as far as I'm concerned. For example, Honda filters are bolted right onto the firewall: open the hood and you're staring right at it. They cost $20 from the dealer, much cheaper for aftermarket.

Woa, and I was about to take my Accord into the dealer and pay a pretty penny to get the fuel filter changed. Sounds easy enough to do myself. Thanks for the heads up.

Why is it that in my Honda manual, it lists Fuel Filter change at 60K miles, but then there's a footnote that says "Optional within California"?
Is the gasoline in California better as to not require a fuel filter change?

Kreativ, I think the California mention has to do with your fuel system possibly being a non-return type, and that it may have a different type of filter. You would need to check service manuals or with a helpful shop to be sure.

The change from return systems was made largely for passive emissions reasons, and I recall this began mid-90's with CA vehicles. Because returnless systems move much less gas around they don't plug the filter as quickly and don't circulate as much backwash. This allowed a move from traditional filters to simple screens. The screens don't need the old service interval. Good thing. They're often buried inside the tank like an oil-pump pickup.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about your Honda. My knowledge is fuzzy and largely limited to US vehicles. Honda guys please jump in.

David

I have 1999 Toyota Corolla CE, has 48500 miles odo
There is no mention about when to change fuel filter in owner's manual, I called local Toyota Dealer regarding fuel filter change on my car.

The dealer service person told me, on 1998 Corolla on award they don't have fuel filter and timing belts, they have timing chains. They also told me that the filter is in gas tank and it is permanent and no need to change the filter is life time.
Just for the checkup I called local NAPA and Schucks auto parts store, they both told me that fuel filter is not listed in their parts book.

Any member owns 1999 Corolla can shed light on my subject? Thank you

I just changed the fuel filter in my '95 Civic. I took my time because I had on;ly done this once before. Took me about an hour, all things included. I checked my records and the last tinme it was done was at 42,000 miles. My car now has 124,500 miles on it.
shocked.gif

The fuel that ran out of the inlet on that filter looked like used motor oil ... only thinner.
freak2.gif
However, I had no drivability issues.

I'm not sure why the California cars are different. I DO know that the Honda fuel filters are exceptionally well made and have a great deal of volume. I know some dealerships which claim that they are a lifetime component and some models have no change interval written into the model ... Preludes, I think.

I recommend getting OEM-only fuel filters at places like manhonda.com or hparts.com. They are not that expensive and I (and a buddy of mine) have had cruddy luck with aftermarket parts for Hondas.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back