Valvoline Max Life or Castrol Transmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the PDS and Valvoline Max Life is thinner at start-up and operating temp than Castrol Transmax. Both are OK for Hyundai SPIII.

Valvoline Max Life
Viscosity @ 100 = 6.11
Viscosity @ 40 = 28.18

Castrol Transmax
Viscosity @ 100 = 8
Viscosity @ 40 = 36.6

This is going into a Hyundai Sonata with 182,000 miles.

Which one would be better for a 2003 car.

Thanks,
Rod

Have Transmax in a 2002 Sonata, 110k miles. Did several drain and fills around 80-90k. First 2/3 were with the Import fluid, last one with High Mileage. Transmission is working fine. Shifts better than original fluid.

Also have Transmax High Mileage in the Azera. Slight difference in the shifts. I think I like the SP3 better for this transmission. Valvoline or Amsoil for the next D&F.

Last edited:
I've had nothing but excellent results in the GM and Honda transmissions I've used MaxLife ATF in. That would be my choice.

Have MaxLife ATF in a friend's Hyundai XG350. Did two drain/fills on it and it shifts much, much better than the two other XG350's in their family.

Maxlife ATF is a great, cheap replacement for Hyundai SPIII in certain transmissions.

Has anyone used Lucas Trans fix? I have a 98 Mazda Protege and the transmission is shifting hard. Would Lucas or another help this?

Originally Posted By: PanM
Has anyone used Lucas Trans fix? I have a 98 Mazda Protege and the transmission is shifting hard. Would Lucas or another help this?

Not the right place to ask, but try Lubegard red bottle. Check Amazon for it.

I've used Lucas trans fix in various cars (Toyota and Honda) with great results. It, along with new transmission fluid has helped the tranny shift MUCH smoother then before. I recommend it, its good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I've used Lucas trans fix in various cars (Toyota and Honda) with great results. It, along with new transmission fluid has helped the tranny shift MUCH smoother then before. I recommend it, its good stuff.

Coincidentally I just poured MaxLife ATF into a 1998 Protege today; Having read up a bit on this car, it seems there may be a TSB regarding shifting on this vehicle; I will poke around to see if I can find it again.

edit:FWIW

http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHTSA_1998_MAZDA_PROTEGE_technical_service_bulletin_64379.html

Last edited:

First make sure it's got fresh fluid of the proper spec. Then I'd suggest adding Lubegard red first, wonderful stuff.

That said, at the point of desperation today (I generally detest all things Lucas) I added the Lucas Trans Fix to my wifes Chevy Venture. I had already exhausted all other options save mechanical work. To my surprise it seems to be much better. I'm holding my breath and won't be convinced till we've driven it a few months, but I may have to adjust my attitude to at least some things Lucas hah hah.

To the OP, for a high miler like yours thicker is probably better, I'd go Castrol on that one.

Even though it's not the right place to ask about Lucas trans fix, thanks to all and the link as well. Appreciate the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back