Reloading shotgun shells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I reload 38spl, and feel pretty comfortable with that. Straight-walled cases are easy. Have not done rifle cases yet, and not sure I am eager to do so (the range I shoot at is all of 100 yards, and I don't hunt--just don't see a need for anything high powered / long range'd). I've been eying a cut-down 12g H&R at a local shop. I picked it up today, and compared it to a brand new 410 H&R. Lighter, with a better action. Which means I wouldn't care much for shooting it.

I did look into light loads for the 12g, and they are out there. Has anyone here used them? And are they really that much lighter in the recoil department?

I'm not really sure what I need a shotgun for, but I'm guessing even a short-barreled 12g is going to be of more usefulness than a 410. OTOH, after looking at the S/N, it looks like it qualifies for sending back to H&R for their barrel swap program; I could *cough* use a 357Mag single shot.

[Side note: it's at a reputable shop, so I'm 99% sure it's of a legal length. But I'd bring my tape measure with me and verify prior to buying.]

A 12 gauge is a better option and far more useful than a .410.

12 ga shells are easier to find and costs less than .410.

If you shoot buckshot or slugs from a 12 gauge, they will kick. There is a noticeable difference when shooting light recoil slugs and buckshot, and they are easier to handle.

For shooting clays, or bird hunting, 7/8oz loads are easy to shoot. If you want to hunt duck or goose, you will need a heavy load, and those have noticeably more recoil.

Your title says "reloading," but you didn't ask about reloading in your post.

I suggest if you want a shotgun, you spend the extra money (~$300-$400) on either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Either can be purchased as a "combo" where you get 2 barrels: A long field barrel (~26"), and a short "home defence" barrel (18"). Leave the H&R on the shelf.

Last edited:
A 7/8oz target load will really surprise you. Not only for the light recoil but for effectiveness as well. When I was doing a lot of sporting clays & trap shooting my standard load was 1oz of 8's at 1180 FPS. For sporting targets inside of 25 yards, a 7/8oz load of 9's would eat them up.

Oops, meant to say reloading. I haven't seen 7/8's oz loads, but I haven't gone hunting for them either, since I don't have a shotgun. Nor have I actually looked at what it costs to reload for 12g--just assumed it would be cheaper, at least for any reduced-recoil load.

I'm more looking for range toy than anything else. Last thing I need to do is get hooked on skeet. So I suspect it'd get sent out for a 357 barrel instead. Thought I mentioned it, but now that I check I didn't: I don't hunt, don't shoot trap, and prefer pistol for HD. I have a 22lr that I like shooting, but it's not accurate enough at 100yards for me. As much as I'd like to get into a "real" rifle round, the range I go to is only 100 yards long; and I dislike being around when the "real" rifles come out. They're loud! [Yes, I wear hearing protection. But the blast is bad. I don't shoot 357Mag in my 3" pistol due to the concussion.]

Everyone needs a shotgun, right? So kill two birds with one stone. Well, the thought of the day anyhow.

I have a MEC reloader for 12 gauge. Not too sure how much you save money wise, versus buying the loads you need on sale. The cost of shot is the problem. Powder has increased as well.

It is so simple to load for shotgun, makes me wonder why I bought shells all these years. As with other reloading, you can custom make your loads.

The light 7/8 or one ounce loads in 12 gauge do not recoil bad at all. I could shoot these all day long in an o/u (Browning Citori).

It is when I go goosing and pull out that Browning BPS 10 gauge that I realize recoil. My friends laugh because I have a 10 gauge... They have all their Benellis and Berettas. Don't laugh much when I go home with more.

15 years ago you could save some decent money reloading. I have a MEC9000H and a group of us used to by shot in 10 ton lots at $11-$12/bag. Now that shot is at least 3 times that it's hard to make it pay.

I'd think you'd still save--I mean, the same $$$ is spent making commercial loads (well, they get a better volume discount, but same idea).

For me, though, I'm looking at it, and realizing that it doesn't make much sense. The range I go to only allows patterning, no skeet; I'm sure there's a friend or two where I could go to their back forty to blast stuff. But kinda hard to justify even $100 of reloading equipment for a few rounds/year -- yet, I'd hate to light off a standard 12g load in a light 12g, even for fun. I don't get why they can't make a set of dies, for a regular press, to do very low volume shotgun reloading. [Probably because no one would buy them.]

Originally Posted By: troyh

It is when I go goosing and pull out that Browning BPS 10 gauge that I realize recoil. My friends laugh because I have a 10 gauge... They have all their Benellis and Berettas. Don't laugh much when I go home with more.

Shooting is about skill. A skilled shooter can put some BBB on a goose with a 20 gauge.

Originally Posted By: Mixologist

Shooting is about skill. A skilled shooter can put some BBB on a goose with a 20 gauge.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. Frequently I notice though I can polish off the ones my buddies can't quite reach with their 12's.

If you are telling me a 20 gauge is as effective as a 10 in the same hands, then I respectfully disagree.

Originally Posted By: Mixologist

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. Frequently I notice though I can polish off the ones my buddies can't quite reach with their 12's.

If you are telling me a 20 gauge is as effective as a 10 in the same hands, then I respectfully disagree.

No, I was giving you some ribbing, I would shoot a 10 for geese but I'm not about to spend $1000 on a new setup just for sky carp.

If anyone reading this is interested I have a MEC reloading press with the stuff for 10/12/20 gauges that I need to sell. I got it from a friend who's grandpa owned it and I don't reload shotgun. PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back