Toyota time belt change 90k, change tensioner too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any input on parts change out on a t-belt change on a low mileage "99 Avalon V6 1MZ-FE w/23,000 miles? No leaks or other issues, including a quick look at the tensioner. Original factory fill on the coolant, but it looks very clean. Usually I replace the t-belt, bearings and tensioner ,water pump seals on t-belt jobs when it is mileage wear out. Any info on age wear out on this motor? Some feedback I have is just to replace the belt if all else looks OK .

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: rcy
The 3MZ-FE in the 2004 Highlander is most definitely an interference engine.

When I had the timing belt done in my RX400h (same 3MZ-FE as Highlander, just tuned a bit differently) at 144 000 KM, the dealer inspected the water pump and said it was good, however, they did inspect and change the tensioner.

I did notthink the gates manual showed the 2004 v6 as interference, (no comment to that effect in the table they have-
how do you determine if it is or os not?
Thanks

Simple rule to remember is: if it`s a VVT-I it`s an interference motor. If it`s non VVT, it`s a non interference motor.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Good news! You never need to replace the chain tensioner.

But the belt tensioner SHOULD be replaced with the new timing belt.
Bad tensioners cause the belt to ride over the edge of the gears, or can stick and wreck the belt.
I strongly recommend doing any idler pulleys and tensioner with the belt.

I wondered if anyone was going to notice that...

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Simple rule to remember is: if it`s a VVT-I it`s an interference motor. If it`s non VVT, it`s a non interference motor.

I don't think that is a very good rule. Lots of non VVT motors are interference motors. Maybe you are referring to the 3MZ line specifically?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Originally Posted By: lexus114

I don't think that is a very good rule. Lots of non VVT motors are interference motors. Maybe you are referring to the 3MZ line specifically?

With the 1 and 3MZ-FE motors, that`s how it is.

Doing a Subaru next week, tensioner, belt, idlers, water pump, cam seals, thermostat, oil pump seal an crank front seal are all going in at the same time.
All Aisin parts with double bearing idlers and Mitsubishi belt.
All seals and T-Stat are from Subaru.

Do it once and do it right = cry once!
Mickey Mouse and go on the cheap = cry a thousand times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back