Anyone...the technical specs of Honda DW1 atf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to drain and fill my old 94
Honda Accord LX with the automatic. It currently has the old OEM standby...Honda Z1 aft in it and it seems to have done the job well. The car has been well cared for with regular transmission drain and fills over the years and the car has about 130k on it now, been gently driven too.

Also is this DW1 synthetic or not? We know that Z1 was not.

I was wondering if I would be better off sticking with a import spec aftermarket fluid for this old transmission like Castrol Dexron III because it never had or was specced with synthetic in it.

Those that know please comment.

DW1 is pretty much the new standard. Ive thought about using Amsoil Universal Atf since it had the old Z1 spec. Currently using DW1.

I'm using Redline D4 in my 1996 Honda Accord (V6 but I believe the same transmission). I've been using it for the last 60,000 miles (3 drain and fills every 30,000 miles...may be overkill for this fluid but better safe than sorry). The trans shifts great...no problems (car is just shy of 120,000 miles). Mine is mostly highway miles and gently driven too (gotta get some more time and mileage out of it considering current prices). I began using the Redline before the DW1 came out. I'd say the trans is considerably smoother than with the previous Z1 that I used.

I would stick to the Honda brand from what I have read about it. I ordered a 12 qt case of the DW1 off of eBay last week for $88 including shipping. The DW1 works great in my 02 Accord and wife's 09 CRV.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I would stick to the Honda brand from what I have read about it. I ordered a 12 qt case of the DW1 off of eBay last week for $88 including shipping. The DW1 works great in my 02 Accord and wife's 09 CRV.

That was my intention, the only thing I was concerned about was the fact that when my car was designed I doubt the engineers ever thought about speccing synthetic fluid for it.

That question is still on my mind...

Is DW1 synthetic or not?

Yes, DW-1 is synthetic. I like that its got a pretty decent VI ( higher than redline, amsoil or maxlife , as long as the VI calc is correct ). If you are looking at other alternatives , Valvoline Maxlife works on Honda Auto Transmissions just fine and is a full synthetic Trans fluid. Easily available and fairly well priced.

My Acura has DW1 i assume from when Acura changed my trans, but I have done a flush on my 05 Civic with Maxlife and runs great everyday. No cold start problems and shifts as smooth and sure. No lag between gear changes.

What is the experience of those using Castrol Transmax ( import multi-vehicle atf)??

I see that Castrol specifically states that it is made for the replacement of Honda Z1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back