Recommended Oil with Auto-RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am getting ready to have a customer try Auto-RX. Is there a preferred oil to use with this?

I know that it is recommended that you use a conventional based oil. So I would guess that I would not recommend Amsoil.

2nd question, now that amsoil is using a group III base in the XL7500 would this be a good oil to have a customer use with the Auto-RX treatment?

Here is what I understand after talking with Frank about my Auto-rx application. When you initially put in Auto-rx, it does not matter what type of oil you use, synthetic or conventional.

For the oil immediately following Auto-rx, you want to run a conventional oil, but ONLY if you are fixing up a leak. If you are only using Auto-rx to clean, then you can run whatever you want. The reasoning is because if Auto-rx has fixed old leaky seals, these seals will harden up better with conventional oil than they will with synthetics (I'm assuming the PAO base is the problem, as that tends to shrink seals)

Don't know why but Exxon Superflo 10w-30 works really well with Auto-Rx. Esapecially if it is on sale for .83 cents a qt.
dunno.gif

Many synthetics use a conventional additive for cleaning that will coat the engine's internal walls. These additives in the synthetic oil will be competeting with the esters in Auto-RX for this precious wall space. Might be best to use a straight dyno oil with a high detergent content while running Auto-RX (10W-30 Castrol GTX would be a great choice.) You may find that the Auto-RX is much more effective in cleaning the engine if you follow this advice...

-Kris

I'm in the same boat as you, so I asked the question directly. I don't think they'll mind me posting this....my question followed by the answer:

quote:

One of my cars has 232,000 miles and runs like a top. (1985 Volvo 245 Turbo) I bought it (cheap) when it had 150K miles. I cleaned the car up nicely, put a new turbocharger on, and really went through the engine bay, with some new parts, etc. I added a dual remote oil filter and larger filters to boost my oil volume. I even put in a new rear seal when I replaced the clutch.
smile.gif
But the engine has never been open.
The real problem: The previous owner used petroleum oil and the inside of the engine was very filthy. I have done a Amsoil flush, and as mentioned have been using synthetic oil for 82,000 miles. The engine is slowly getting cleaner, and does run fine - but I think there is still some cleaning to be done. SO - Please tell me EXACTLY why Auto-Rx will not clean the inside of my engine (metal surfaces) when I am running synthetic oil.

quote:

Dear sir,

My name is Rich Eklund. I do a little bit of consulting for Frank and
Auto-Rx. Auto-Rx will work with synthetic oils, disters, triesters, ect.
However what we have found is that the product works slower when combined
with other esters. It will help clean in snythetic oils, its just slower or
needs to run longer. I speak just from experience of Auto-Rx use. It seems
that Auto-Rx being polar and same for the synthetic oil, they in some respect
compete for space on the contamination. Auto-Rx in dino oil does not have to
compete for metal surfaces.

I hope this is helpful. The synthetic oil will eventually clean out
contamination over many, many, scheduled oil changes. Auto-Rx in the
synthetic of choice will speed that up dramatically. Dino and Auto-Rx seems
to be the fastest.

Frank was traveling today. I hope this helps you.

Sincerely,

Rich Eklund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back