Techron and pinging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever experienced pinging WHILE using Chevron Techron concentrate? I recently added a bottle to my Corolla and immediately notice more engine pinging upon acceleration. Maybe it's a result of carbon being cleaned off or it reduced the octane?

Also, does anyone have any definitive evidence that Techron still has PEA in the formula?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I slightly recall someone recently posted a reply from Chevron that stated Techron contained a very high concentration of PEA.

what is the octane rating of PEA? If it is different volatility wise than gasoline, there could be some latency or pre-release.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I slightly recall someone recently posted a reply from Chevron that stated Techron contained a very high concentration of PEA.

I found that thread. Very informative. Hopefully this pinging will go away.

I noticed pinging in mine too(with techron) .. but i have the fb25 boxer engine so thats kinda normal too

I did notice a 1-2mpg gain and no ping stepping upto 93octane.

I might continue that experiment.

seems like they overly tuned this engine then retarded it for regular gas... I think it runs much better on 93.. only car I've had out of 10 that ever got better gas mileage on 93 without a chip too.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I noticed pinging in mine too(with techron) .. but i have the fb25 boxer engine so thats kinda normal too

I did notice a 1-2mpg gain and no ping stepping upto 93octane.

I might continue that experiment.

seems like they overly tuned this engine then retarded it for regular gas... I think it runs much better on 93.. only car I've had out of 10 that ever got better gas mileage on 93 without a chip too.

What's the stock CR on those Scoobies??

never noticed any pinging, and i use this stuff at every OCI. But then again im not looking for it either.

The PEA won't cause this...unless possibly you put much more of the product in than they recommend. Follow the directions .

My guess is that some carbon particles (tiny, tiny! invisible to the eye) from surfaces and being burned as it enters the fuel air mixture. No problem.

Just an update to this thread; the pinging seems to have subsided and I recently got exactly 40 mpg on a highway trip which is the best highway mpg I've ever got out of my 1994 Corolla. That was 75 mph with the A/C on part of the time. I did get about 43 mpg one time but that had a lot of coasting down mountain passes. The car seems to have more pep to it as well. In fact, I'd say this was one of the most noticeable improvements in performance I've had from a fuel additive! Granted, it's been several years since I've used one.

I just ran a tank of gas w/ techron concentrate after seeing a P0420. Gave it an "italian tuneup" on the highway. When I went to re-fill, it came out to 38mpg, up from a normal 35/36 (never seen it go over 36.x). I had to check that I hadn't underfilled the gas tank. I'm guessing there was some junk built up in the engine..?

Also, the P0420 went away =)

Last edited:
Yea, the only way I could see pinging occuring, if you over-did the Techron.....but sheesh, I think that's kind of hard to do.....since the bottle only treats 12 gallons......and most tanks are 15-20 range
wink.gif

Could be just the cleaning effect causing the pinging.....glad it went away.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Yea, the only way I could see pinging occuring, if you over-did the Techron.....but sheesh, I think that's kind of hard to do.....since the bottle only treats 12 gallons......and most tanks are 15-20 range
wink.gif

Could be just the cleaning effect causing the pinging.....glad it went away.

I have a few bottles of Techron on the shelf and they state it is for up to 20 gallons....

Just a few days ago I decided to try a bottle of this stuff in my RAV, and now I'm getting a little ping at a certain light throttle and just on the up-shift for a moment. I'm now down to just below a half tank and can't tell any improvement.
I bought 2 bottle of this stuff and now I don't know if I want to use the other bottle on next fill, or just dump it in one of the other vehicles. So far I'm not impressed at all.

Yea, I've heard mix reviews.....some say the MPG gains are "during" the fill.....others have said they "slump" after the fill, and then others say their MPG stays the same "after" the treatment.....

Bottom line, if it's a rich-running engine.....prone to carbon and unburned fuel....you're gonna need the treatment more often....of if you have air intake leaks, causing excess vacuum, which results in more gas (due to more air getting into the engine....).

Well I'm down to where I'll be filling the tank tomorrow morning.
I think I'll dump the other bottle for the fill. I'll have the tank used up by Friday & be doing a oil/filter change then.

Pinging is a little less, but still there. Also, my mileage has been less with the dosed fill. Will be interesting the following week with fresh tank fill to see what happens - but so far, still not impressed.
I generally use Chevron gas the most, then Shell and 76 some other times.

^Is there any replaceable fuel filter on the vehicle? What year model?

There are so many variables to consider. Mileage would be a 'plus', but if there isn't any to be had...well, there you go.

You are also supposed to use the stuff right before an oil change. I have been guilty of not doing that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back