Auto-Rx application question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new to the site and I have to say, there's a lot of great info here. Great site!
I'm no expert, but I do find this stuff very interesting. I've heard of Auto-Rx so I decided to give it a shot.

Some info:
I plan on using it on my 89 Pathfinder (V6) with 195K on it. I've been running Amsoil and/or Mobil 1 10W-30 in it for the last three years. I've been using 5K-7.5K drain intervals. I've liked the easier winter starts that the synthetics have afforded me. Nothing scientific here, the truck just turns over much easier in the harsh New England winters, which is when I do most of my driving...up to ski country.

Question:
I realize that I should run a dino oil after the 500 mile application, but I don't see any recommendation of adding it to synthetic initially? Also, what about going back to synthetic in the future, after the two applications (due to the higher mileage)?

Any help and insight is greatly appreciated.
grin.gif

You can add it to any kind of oil during the application, the only time you need to run dino
oil is on the oil change after Auto-rx, and only if you have a leak that needs sealing.

When Auto-rx is doing it's thing, it turns the seals a bit "floppy" and the dino oil after this will help harden the seals and make them sit flush with the metal again.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any visible leaks, but I do consume a little oil, about 1/2-3/4 quart in 5K miles. I never needed to add dino oil, but I was changing my oil every 3K then, so it would be less noticeable. I didn't do the flush that Amsoil recommneds when I switched, but I did change the oil filter after a few hundred miles. The oil filter was loaded and I had a lot of gunk in my drain pan. When I saw that I went 300 miles and changed the filter again, and this time it was not nearly as bad.

Hmmm...I was hoping that I could you use Auto-rx to nip any future sealing issues in the bud, but maybe I jumped the gun given dragboat's comment?. My other car (wife's) is a 2002 Passat (1.8T). It has 17,000 miles on it and I'm on my third oil change with Amsoil 5W-30. I'm following the manufacturers recommended drain interval right now which is 5K. i don't think Auto-rx is necessary at this point with the VW.

With 17k, you definitely don't need Auto-rx, especially if you've followed a regular oil change schedule so far.

Patman, a question about AutoRX & seals; for the fill after the A-X, will a blend do as well as straight dino, or well enough, since it's well over 50% dino oil?
dunno.gif

I think a blend would work fine, because most store bought blends are only 10% synthetic, not a 50/50 mix.

For my after Auto-rx oil change, I'm simply going back to Maxlife, which is possibly a group 3 base oil anyways (which is just as synthetic as Castrol's Syntec)

With my car, I don't think the leak I have can be solved, as it's most likely the intake manifold leaking, which is not a typical gasket, but a layer of RTV sealant. When this starts leaking oil on an LT1 engine, the only way to solve it is to put a new layer of RTV sealant in there.

Good, I'll just re-fill w/Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 10w30. After a neutra "purge", ~3000 miles w/ SS7K, & then the AutoRx, engine should be about as clean inside as possible- & I don't think it was bad to begin with.

After the neutra the RX was overkill, an expensive one at that. As you noted, after the neutra you will see no difference with the RX.

Because of warranty you can ask for a refund though

Well, the Auto Rx is still on the carport shelf, & I'm ~1300 miles away from using it. Will I send it back unused? Nope, might as well keep it & give it a try. Will I ever buy any more? Not unless it causes a miracle. Schaeffer's Neutra 131 at ~$2.50-$3.00/bottle, & I can get almost 3 engine cleanings per bottle, or 1 cleaning + ~250 mile fuel treatment, vs autoRx, at $25/bottle, one cleaning, plus needs an extra oil filter. Hmmm... Is AutoRx better? Maybe so. Is it *That* much better?
dunno.gif
Also maybe so, but I have my doubts, after using the Neutra. *Big* doubts.
wink.gif

[ July 04, 2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

Okay Terry, thanks, I'll run the Max Life for a while more then. I'll swap another filter out to be on the safe side.

Unless this is really a sludge bomb don't worry about changing the filter. If you maintain this the way you do your other car we have tested I'll bet it's not sludged. Do what you feel comfortable with Steve.

[ September 06, 2002, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Steve.
Since you have been running synthetic I doubt the rx will help.

I wouldn't necessarily write off Auto-RX for use in an engine that's seen synth all its life. Mine has: Mobil 1 and Amsoil since break-in, and the Auto-RX has been steadily decreasing my oil consumption. Synthetic oil may be great stuff, but it isn't a cure-all, and if your engine is prone to sludging or sticking rings, the synth will only make it "not as bad." It just depends on what problem you're having. If you're not having any trouble, why use anything?

Update:
Well, I'm on my 2nd application of Auto-rx in the Pathfinder. I ran it for 500 miles on the first interval per instructions (with new filter). I drained oil and put in 10W-30 Maxlife and did a few hundred miles before adding 2nd bottle of Auto-rx. I didn't do the 1500 miles as I really don't have a seal issue. I'm just looking for a good cleaning for emissions testing. I'm scheduled for an inspection this month, so I'm putting some extra miles on this rig quick. I'm about 300 miles into the the 2nd app and I can still see some varnish on the cams when I peek through the oil cover. Should i run the the Auto-rx longer than 500 miles or is it unreasonable to get rid of all the varnish? Thanks.

I plan to cut open both filters and report back when the process is over.

Yes Terry, this truck has been maintained very well.

Kev99sl: I haven't always used synthetic...switched 2 years ago. I always did the 3,000 mile drain interval with this truck until I switched over to Amsoil. After my VW experience though, I won't go on blindly thinking that this stuff can last 25K. I plan on an oil anlaysis in the Spring.

Dragboat: I made a typo, I was at 190K at the time not 195K
blush.gif

Although the truck has a lot of miles, I believe there is plenty left in that motor, so I still want to do what's best, hence the Auto-RX and oil analysis later. It's probably more important now than ever if I can nip any problems in the bud, so to speak.
wink.gif

Steve_RI, Run it to 3000 miles if you want. We tested the product out that far with no problems. The issue is that if the engine is loaded with deposits you' fill the filter up.

As far as removing all the the varnish it will do it first at the point the oil actually touches components,in the tighter areas where only a light film mostly from crankcase ventilation is flowing it will take longer. The cleaning is residual and slow to be safe to the engine.

I can assure you from testing this stuff your emissions have decreased significantly from the first application as it cleaned the rings and upper part of pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back