Difference between polyol/di-esters and Auto-rx esters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the difference between the esters in a synthetic oil such as Mobil1 or Red Line and Auto-RX?

Esters used in oil are supposed to already have an affinty for metal and sludge and are supposed to dissolve sludge.

So if you have been using synthetic oil, there should be no need for auto-rx, right? Unless of course you have done some ridiculous drain interval which caused it to oxidize.

The only other problem I have with auto-rx is that they say you have to use it every 10k miles or every year on thier website. Maybe if you are using the cheapest oil you can find and haven't changed it that entire year, otherwise I find it hard to believe.

I don't think you need to use it every 10k at all. As a matter of fact, if you've been using a good oil all along I don't think it'll do all that much. I used it in my 95 Formula because I knew it's oil changes had been neglected by the previous owner.

But for my wife's 36,000 mile Honda, which has had nothing but Mobil 1 since the second oil change, I highly doubt it's dirty inside at all. I saw inside the engine of my 98 Formula at about 25-30k and it was clean as a whistle, I used nothing but Mobil 1.

But for those older engines that have not had good oil all along, Auto-rx definitely is needed. Once it's clean and you start using a good oil, I can't see the need for every 10k though.

Guys, I can't say what esters Auto-Rx uses because of secrecy agreements but go to the MSDS and that may help some.

As far as time between cleaning I know that they use blanket statement for the lowest common denominator type customer,poorly kept engine,cheap oil,cheap filter,lack of maintenance,etc. Use oil analysis and common sense to help determine a cleaning interval.

Man I leave the country for 10 days and this board gets really weird . Glad I missed most of it.
shocked.gif

Jason, the type esters used in redline and M1 are primarily for lubrication,not cleaning. If you formulate a lubricant that mostly cleans you give up ALOT in lubrication. Auto-RX is designed strictly as a cleaner so it givces up little to clean while using the host oil as a form of transport to the interior of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back