2002 Camry Stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1

Fellas, I need some help troubleshooting:

2002 Toyota Camry, 4cyl, Automatic, USA model.

A CEL code popped up the other day for "Bank 1 A/F Sensor." I went ahead and replaced the pre-cat O2 with a new sensor. the battery was re-connected, and I took it for a drive.

At first, the car drove nicely with no codes. Then I noticed that as the engine warmed up, the idle became very low. There is also hesitation when accelerating from a stop. The idle eventually got so low that it causes the car to stall out.

I've read that it is typical for this to happen after disconnecting the battery, but it has taken a little too long for the car to re-learn itself. I've been through about 4 or 5 driving cycles so far, and 20 miles worth of driving.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Thanks.

No more codes so far. Pretty sure nothing was knocked loose. The O2 sensor on this car is accessible as soon as you pop the hood.

I found this procedure on some forum. I take no credit for it.
Hope it helps.

Here's what I did:
Step 1
Restore battery power and turn off air conditioning controls.

Step 2
Run the engine up to operating temperature and shut off.

Step 3
Apply the parking brake. Start the vehicle and place it in drive (A/T), or neutral (manual).

Step 4
Run the engine until the cooling fan has cycled on and off, or for a maximum of 10 minutes.

Step 5
Turn the ignition key off for at least 5 seconds.

Step 6
Restart the engine and again shift into drive or neutral. Allow engine to run for at least 5 minutes.

Step 7
Shut off engine for 10 seconds and restart.

That's it. Car should idle perfectly by now.

Got this from V6z24.com.

Interesting. Worth trying, I guess. I'll definitely clean off the throttle body, and also the MAF sensor, since they are definitely due for that. The procedure will follow.

I might add that I just took it for a 50-mile drive. Stalling actually seems to get worse as the engine gets more heat-soaked. The car has 145k miles, by the way. Hopefully this thing goes well.

It would also be well worth it to clean the idle air control (IAC) valve, while you're at it. I'd do this first, using Sea Foam Deep Creep.

Last edited:
1) You need A/F Ratio sensor (Denso prefered, NTK will do too)
2) You need IACV cleaned; there are literally tens of videos on how to clean IACV on the 4-cyl Camry on the internet

Your symptoms are that of IACV getting stuck in closed position.

Throttle body cleaning did the trick! Car runs perfectly now. I will look up how-to's on the IAC valve. Didn't even realize there would be one on an electronic throttle.

It was a Bosch sensor that I installed, by the way. Not sure what the verdict is on those. Denso's were $40 more, and not immediately available at AutoZone.

Thank you for the help, everyone.

Toyota`s really do not like Bosch parts. I`m willing to bet you will be pulling that Bosch part outta there. I know the Denso`s cost more, but well worth it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I found this procedure on some forum. I take no credit for it.
Hope it helps.

Here's what I did:
Step 1
Restore battery power and turn off air conditioning controls.

Step 2
Run the engine up to operating temperature and shut off.

Step 3
Apply the parking brake. Start the vehicle and place it in drive (A/T), or neutral (manual).

Step 4
Run the engine until the cooling fan has cycled on and off, or for a maximum of 10 minutes.

Step 5
Turn the ignition key off for at least 5 seconds.

Step 6
Restart the engine and again shift into drive or neutral. Allow engine to run for at least 5 minutes.

Step 7
Shut off engine for 10 seconds and restart.

That's it. Car should idle perfectly by now.

Got this from V6z24.com.

+1 this!!!!

Never mind the IACV advice, ignore that guy, I can assure you that he knows nothing :)

Seriously, I was not aware your car has Throttle-By-Wire. If so, it should not have IACV.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: V1
Throttle body cleaning did the trick! Car runs perfectly now. I will look up how-to's on the IAC valve. Didn't even realize there would be one on an electronic throttle.

It was a Bosch sensor that I installed, by the way. Not sure what the verdict is on those. Denso's were $40 more, and not immediately available at AutoZone.

Thank you for the help, everyone.

Unless the OE part is also Bosch, I have never had a car run well with Bosch replacement parts.

Use Denso, or maybe NTK/NGK

I have a feeling that on the 2002 Camry, the pre-cat is the Air/Fuel ratio sensor rather than the standard O2 sensor. If that is the case, Bosch would be a re-branded Denso. If the packaging said "Made in Japan". I was able to find Bosch Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor for 99 Camry which was a Denso in disguise.

Originally Posted By: Pete
It would also be well worth it to clean the idle air control (IAC) valve, while you're at it. I'd do this first, using Sea Foam Deep Creep.

Another Seafoam MYTH! It is NOT seafoam in a can, its seafoam's PB-Blaster equivalent. The worst thing you could put on a sensor is any kind of lubricant or oil. Don't EVER use deep creep on a sensor. Even regular seafoam is mostly pale oil, so don't use Seafoam Spray either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back