change from 5w20 to 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus with the 2.7 engine. I have 117K miles on the engine, it doesn't smoke, and runs quiet, and I don't have to add oil between changes. I am considering moving it from 5w20 to 5w30. My local WallyWorld doesn't carry Havoline 5w20, and that is what I want to run in it. The manual states that either 5w20 or 5w30 is acceptable, but 5w20 is preferred. It has had 5w20 run in it, I think anyway, b/c the Dodge dealer has done the oil changes up till now and they tell me they have put 5w20 in it.
Should I follow the "if it ain't broke . . ." ; or do the readers think the move to 5w30 will be OK ?

So you want to change grades just to stay with Havoline? What about AAP and autozone? At that mileage would be ok, but you may notice sluggishness, etc at OP temps. If it were me I'd choose the correct grade over an oil brand.

I'm currently running 5W-30 in our Saturn which has a Honda V6 and specs 5W-20. I haven't noticed any difference at all.

Then again, I'm running G-OIL which seems to shear pretty quickly, so what went in as 5W-30 could be operating as a 5W-20 now.

I would run HM 5W20 or 5W30 oil. If it runs fine on 5W20, I don't see reason for switching grade though, other than for the availability or cost of 5W20.

All I'd be concerned with on that engine is the oil sludge issues on the 2.7, but somehow I'm guessing you've been good about that if it doesn't smoke or eat oil.

I don't see the point.....if it's running fine with 5W-20 until now....why change something that's working good.....just remember, not all 5W-20 are created equally.....but yea...Havoline is a tuff brand to find out here too.....why not just change up the oils, move to something else....? Like MotorCraft, or Mobil Super....? Both are fairly reasonable.

By the way, I have a couple of cars with Ford Duratec 3.0 engine (old one, without VVT). They have been using either 5W30 or 10W30 the whole time. Both cars have 70.000-80.000 miles right now. Would it be a bad idea to switch to 5W20 now?

In NC, with miles getting up there, I'd also consider a change to 5-30.
It's not a big deal either way right now, as you are having success with the 5-20s.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
All I'd be concerned with on that engine is the oil sludge issues on the 2.7, but somehow I'm guessing you've been good about that if it doesn't smoke or eat oil.

Chrysler apparently "revised" the last few years to avoid the oil sludge problem.

If it were mine, I'd run a good 5w-20 synthetic with a lot of detergents to keep it from sludging.

Detergents do very little to prevent sludge, to the OP follow your previous maintenance schedule your 2.7 made it this far you have done something right, if you ever believe you have a sludgeing issue use Auto-Rx OR a high ester content PCMO either will do a nice job of gently cleaning your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back