O2 sensor cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've examined the make up of several old OEM O2 sensors. They are made up of a ceramic type coating with some platinium and probably other regular metals. I do not believe the metals become depleted but that the sensor becomes contaminated over time and thus works less effective.

I've tried soaking them in a mild (citric) acid bath to clean them with mixed results. I'm wondering if soaking them in Neutra 131 or some other type of product would clean out any oil and/or carbon and make the sensor perform like new again ?

Anyone else been experimenting with cleaning the O2 sensors or have a good reason why they cannot be salvaged ?

I read on the board here some cleaners have turned off the check engine lights.

Might have been the Redline additive,not certain though

I understand the wire to the sensor is very sensitive to OHMs resistance and age will put the light on for that reason as well

gosh, cleaning a o2 sensor saves the price of buying a new sensor for 50+ bucks. but yea good question about the exaust. its not too hard to clean, just that carbon build up. u may get some of it off and not all i believe. but a little is better than none right?

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
gosh, cleaning a o2 sensor saves the price of buying a new sensor for 50+ bucks. but yea good question about the exaust. its not too hard to clean, just that carbon build up. u may get some of it off and not all i believe. but a little is better than none right?

The only thing I coudl see it doing is maybe resulting in a cleaner burn and leaving less crap on the sensor. I don't see how it would clean an already fouled one. If anybody has a fouled one to mess with you might want to try crc electrical contact cleaner spray...might work. I use it to clean maf sensors.

Spray it repeatedly with Brake cleaner or Ether (Starting Fluid). These are two of the lightest solvents I know of, commercially speaking.

And please, no flame, sparks or electrical switches in the area when you do this; I.e., do it outside in a ventilated area away from electrical power or appliances.

Edit: I haven't tried this, but LC might be a good candidate for cleaning it as well.

[ December 05, 2002, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I heard not long ago from a "shade tree" typr mechanic that he has cleaned 02 sensors for years. He just uses a propane torch to burn off the old carbon buildup. He claims he has done hundreds and had almost 100% success with this method. I figure it's worth a try anyway, good OEM sensors are usually upwards of $100.

Auto-Rx cleans the engine and the internal engine sensors, since a clean engine makes a major reduction on the load of a converter, much less carbon will go "downstream" of the exhaust.
"A Clean Engine is a Healthy Engine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back