Any VOA/UOA's on QS DEFY yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBN is pretty low too....
I really am kind of dissapointed, If anyone from SOPUS is reading this and sees that blackstones results are off then they need to provide a correct VOA. Otherwise I don't see this oil then anything more then marketing hype.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
I really am kind of dissapointed, If anyone from SOPUS is reading this and sees that blackstones results are off then they need to provide a correct VOA. Otherwise I don't see this oil then anything more then marketing hype.

I agree, looks like Quaker State DEFY is an average (at best) SM oil.
crazy.gif

Thanks for the VOA. Well, as others have pointed out, Blackstone has reported some weird zinc levels in the past. As for the TBN, there's really nothing wrong with that, particularly for my application (a carbed truck with no extended OCIs).

What a downer! I hope this is wrong...but I'm not totally surprised either. It looks like QSGB with about an ounce of Rotella in it.
frown.gif

One place has it on special up here, but, unfortunately, I won't need any for a bit. I've got some Comp Cams ZDDP supplement from when the engine was rebuilt and for when I use PCMO, and I've got a boatload of Mobil Delvac 1300.

Wow, disappointing indeed. Does 'low volatility' zinc have anything to with the low numbers reported meaning it may hold it's own retention better over regular zinc and not needing as much ppm? If there is such a thing that is...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Specs are here. The pour points seem a little odd to me. The sheet states it has 25% more low volatility ZDDP than other oils (assuming their QSGB, likely) and 50% more in 10w-40. SL for 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30, SN for 10w-40.

Nice HT/HS #'s

Last edited:
I tend to think that Blackstone's Phosphorous number run 15% low most of the time, which would still put Defy's P content at only 845. I was expecting more like 1000, which is the limit for SL. More data is needed.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I was expecting more like 1000, which is the limit for SL. More data is needed.

Agreed. They could have just gone with a higher amount, disregarded any API certification whatsoever, and just "claimed" to meet SL or earlier, without actually being certified against it. It's done all the time, after all. People are not buying the stuff for vehicles under warranty anyhow.

Originally Posted By: steve20
and it could also be the variety of ZDDP which does not need high heat / stress points to provide antiwear protection.

Where is there info on this "variety of ZDDP"?

The more I look at that VOA the more I think Blackstone botched it. Calcium of 1688 in a HM oil??? I'm thinking not...more like 2100 plus at least I'd bet.

If the Calcium is off by my estimated 25%, and the rest is too, that would put the Zinc close to 1000 ppm. I want to see some more tests on it.

Anyway I got my rebate and I'm going to run it at least once.

Originally Posted By: FastGame

I agree, looks like Quaker State DEFY is an average (at best) SM oil.
crazy.gif

Blackstone VOA numbers are complete garbage (as usual). You have to be moronic to condemn this oil on one B-S report which have proven to be in erroe agaion and again, esp on VOA.

BTW I use it under warranty as ILSAC oil are marginal at best and i could give 2 tootsierolls as to what my local Honda dealer thinks. The 5w20 defy is proving to be a GREAT oil - The BEST conventional Ive used in a decade and better than a 2.5 x as expensive 0w20 Japanese synthetic that i just dumped early for making the engine so noisy as to be undriveable. Run it and love it. So there! is my iconoclastic challenge to you silly incorrect non-certified lab report slaves.

same here, how long are you going to run it in the jeep?

I've got it slated for the fall/early winter OCI since my Defy is all 5w30, due to warranty as well as neglect from a previous owner I'm still doing 3k OCI's on the Jeep. Run my other vehicles much longer now.

I gave this stuff another look on the published specs, Defy looks like a better product than Pennzoil HM for less money. Still looking for some multiple UOA's to pop up on Defy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back