Anyone help identify ingredients in LPS-3 lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually trying to create a lube that goes on very light, but then the carrying agent/solvent evaporates leaving behind a sticky/tacky film that won't fling off (if used on a chain). To experiment with formulations, I'm trying to understand what the ingredient is in some commercially available lubes that are similar. One would be LPS-3. It goes on somewhat thick, and then totally gels. Another would be the motorcycle chain lube PJ-1. It goes on very light and thin....but then thickens to a a sticky film.

This is a long-shot for sure, and I don't even know if this is the appropriate forum.....but, any ideas as to the ingredients that would, when mixed with a solvent carrier, produce the sticky waterproof film I'm looking for?? thanks!

Wax is my guess. All waxes are is oils that are solid at room temp.

BTW, I've used LPS products since the 60's! Extremely high performance corrosion protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Wax is my guess. All waxes are is oils that are solid at room temp.

BTW, I've used LPS products since the 60's! Extremely high performance corrosion protection.

Yea, that makes sense. I just wonder if there's something else that is making it "sticky" like a tackifier. When I look at the MSDS for LPS-3, I see:

• 70% Petroleum Distillate, hydrotreated, light
  • 10% Petroleum Distillate, hydrotreated, heavy paraffinic
  • 5% acetone

Any further thoughts?

I deal with CIC (corrosion inhibiting compounds) daily.

In the past, they were often thinned with a chlorinated, fast evaporating solvent. Today, there are other types of carriers. From MEK to butane, kerosene and everything in between.

LPS-3 has been an aviation standard for years. However, it is not the best.

Par-al-Ketone (made by Black Bear) is very much like cosmoline, it's thick, gooey, dries to a tough waxy coating. It can be thinned with MEK (or even Avgas) for applications where it needs to "creep" into tight places. Such as between layers of sheet metal. It's also very inexpensive.

My personal favorite is AV-30, which used to be made by Dinatrol, but now is made by another brand. It's thin, sprayable, and dries to a tack free coating that is incredibly effective. It's thinable with MEK. The product is very expensive.

An easy solution is Boeshield. It's effective and clear.

But, if you want a chain lube, I suggest Bel-Ray "super clean" chain lube applied normally, then add a thin oil such as GT-85 (slightly thicker than WD-40)

Or you could simply melt some wax, mix it with small quantities of your favorite synthetic oil and then blend in some thinner such as MEK.

I use Boeshield's bike chain lube. Doesn't attract dirt. You'll find other products like this in a good bicycle shop.

Wurth makes a product that gels to a grease once sprayed too. Can't remember the name of it though.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I deal with CIC (corrosion inhibiting compounds) daily.

In the past, they were often thinned with a chlorinated, fast evaporating solvent. Today, there are other types of carriers. From MEK to butane, kerosene and everything in between.

LPS-3 has been an aviation standard for years. However, it is not the best.

Par-al-Ketone (made by Black Bear) is very much like cosmoline, it's thick, gooey, dries to a tough waxy coating. It can be thinned with MEK (or even Avgas) for applications where it needs to "creep" into tight places. Such as between layers of sheet metal. It's also very inexpensive.

My personal favorite is AV-30, which used to be made by Dinatrol, but now is made by another brand. It's thin, sprayable, and dries to a tack free coating that is incredibly effective. It's thinable with MEK. The product is very expensive.

An easy solution is Boeshield. It's effective and clear.

But, if you want a chain lube, I suggest Bel-Ray "super clean" chain lube applied normally, then add a thin oil such as GT-85 (slightly thicker than WD-40)

Or you could simply melt some wax, mix it with small quantities of your favorite synthetic oil and then blend in some thinner such as MEK.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm finally getting enough info to move forward. Really, I'm trying to make my own stuff. Call if for fun....or whatever, it's just some experimenting. Yes, I know I can buy anything under the sun. I just don't want to.

What I'm starting to see is that things that go on wet but end up more waxy (to some degree)...are just a petroleum carrier solvent and a dissolved heavy paraffinic. The lighter carrier evaporates, leaving behind the waxy coating. I think you've helped me solve the carrier solvent portion. What I'm thinking is that this "basic" type of setup (I'm sure there's more too it in many cases) should get me anywhere from something similar to LPS on one end, to cosmoline on the other end of the spectrum. At least that's what I'm thinking.

I will try disolving paraffin in MEK (which should evaporate pretty quickly) and see what that gets me as a start on the petroleum solvent carrier and heavy paraffinic mixture experiments. Xylne will dissolve paraffin, but it doesn't evaporate fast enough (I don't think).

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back