Mobil Super Synthetic versus M1 5W 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed both my '10 Hyundai Elantra and '07 Kia Sedona over from 5W 20 Mobil Super Synthetic over to M1 5 W 20 . While both Mobil products - I was surprised at how much quiter both engines run on the M1 versus the Mobil Super Synthetic . Same company but different products for sure . Both Kia and Hyundai sounded real " buzzy" on the Mobil Super Synthetic . The Mobil Super Synthetic stood up well to a 6K mile OCI but I do not think I will use it again .

Right now I have Mobil 1 ow-20 in the Tacoma. I'm impressed! Zero oil use, nice cleaning going on. Oil darkest it has ever been at 4K. No cold start valvetrain noise during our unusually warm winter. Our coldest temp was +6F. This is the first time I have ever used Mobil 1. I have another fill for next winter. Until then back to cheap sale conventional.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Right now I have Mobil 1 ow-20 in the Tacoma. I'm impressed! Zero oil use, nice cleaning going on. Oil darkest it has ever been at 4K. No cold start valvetrain noise during our unusually warm winter. Our coldest temp was +6F. This is the first time I have ever used Mobil 1. I have another fill for next winter. Until then back to cheap sale conventional.

Just run the M1 0-20 for 10K as I am and use it year round. There are advantages to this oil over what you plan to do.

A top shelf oil versus a mediocre price leader.
What else did you expect?

I could be wrong , but now consider Mobil Super Synthetic to be similar to PEAK Synthetic , NAPA synthetic , etc. May squeeze out a 7,500 mile OCI but me thinks best no longer than 6K mile / 6 month OCI (which ever comes first) . QSUD ? ...I'd hammer it hard and believe it would hold up for a 7,500 mile OCI.

The possibility that M1 is quieter is probably just psychological. In reality, I doubt that both products are all that different. I've had similar results with both products but the only way to really tell would be through UOAs.

I am a user of M1 who has put a quarter of a million miles on the oil and I like the brand, but I haven't seen any real evidence that the extra cost is worth it anymore, especially when it is upwards of nearly $40 for an OC with the stuff unless you find it on sale for less than $30.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Just run the M1 0-20 for 10K as I am and use it year round. There are advantages to this oil over what you plan to do.

What are you using for filter's on your Ford's?

I'm been using the Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20 blended with Mobil Delvac 15w-40 in my sump, for over 3K, and my T4R runs quiet and smooth.

All I can say is this blend works for me, I may continue with this for my next OCI well into next winter. Mobil Super Synthetic and Delvac run fine together.

Check out both the PDS sheets as well as VOAs/UOAs.
M1 and MSS have entirely different add packs.
I've used plenty of M1 over the years.
I have no desire to try MSS.

Hi ChrisD46, There is no evidence that mobil 1 is better than mobil super. You have to use the device that measure the sound level dB. vvvvv

Quiter engine on M1 could be the "new oil in engine" syndrome . I was unable to find a VOA comparison between the two - if someone can find and post that would be great .

I always take "my engine sounds quieter/louder now" comments with a grain of salt. Was this measured with an SPL reader or just by ear? The human sonic memory is extremely weak. Even a lot of people involved in high end audio frequently discount "subjective" listening tests, and instead rely on precise measurement data. I am not saying that ears are useless, but to accomplish a good "ear" test, you either need to have a LOT of experience and golden ears or, more commonly, to be able to do an A/B test, that is to be able switch back and forth between the "old" and "new" sound quickly under controlled conditions. This is very hard, as you probably not going to dump new oil and switch back to old in a few seconds and without changing oil or engine temperature, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: tig1

What are you using for filter's on your Ford's?

On my Toyota Tacoma I am using mid range filters like Denso 15-1002 Purolator PureOne PL10241. Have used a Fram OCD, Purolator Classic each once. They were part of a oil change deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back