Stihl BG55 bogs at full throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the blower out today with the throttle locked wide open and it started to bog out as if it was starving for fuel. I released the lock and could only get it to run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle before it would start to bog out. The air filter is new and clean.

I let it cool and ran it some more and it never gave me a problem. Starts fine and idles good and Im a bit miffed by what is causing this. These things always get worse over time. The blower is 13 years old by the way. Any ideas?

Have you ever removed the spark arrestor screen from the muffler? These get clogged and cause the symptoms you describe.

Originally Posted By: Tones
Have you ever removed the spark arrestor screen from the muffler? These get clogged and cause the symptoms you describe.

I have not but will check that. Before anybody says the gas is bad I run a Stihl chainsaw and Shindiawa weed wacker out of the same jug and both of them run fine. Dealers always blame the gas it seems like.

Anyway, I will check that and pull the plug also. Im thinking maybe the fuel line may be going bad and sucking in too much air?

Gas does go stale after 30 days is what my Stihl dealer told me and with mine which is 2 years old--its true. I find it cheaper and less wasteful to just buy small quantities for specific purpose! What works for me will not work for all im sure!

I'll bet Tones has it figured out. I have a Stihl Blower, not sure if it's the exact model number, but I had the very same symptoms and discovered the spark arrestor completely clogged.

Lots of great advice here. Many people don't realize that 2 cycle engines are best run at wide open throttle (chainsaws under load)and they carbon up with excessive idle or mid throttle.

I disagree with the 30 day gas life, especially when using Stihl 2 cycle oil (it has stabilizer). At my workplace we have no problems with months old gas.

Spark plugs do go bad on these hot running OPE, so don't neglect that. And, does this machine have a "high" carb adjustment screw?

Best of luck with the blower.

I second the vote for the clogged spark arrestor. My Stihl string trimmer was experiencing the same symptoms. After fiddling with the mixture screws I got no improvement. I was ready to replace the carburetor. A trip to the dealer and $25 later, I learned that the spark arrestor was clogged. As a previous poster said, these engines need to be run at full speed or else they will clog. Clean out the arrestor and don't baby it any more. Full speed ahead!

One of the biggest mistakes that happens is using marine stroke oil. I used that and it carboned up my weed trimmer bad. I went to a synthetic 2 strokeoil for small engine/ air cooled engines and what a world of difference.

I just had my Stihl SH55 blower apart yesterday for some PM. The spark arrestor screen had very little carbon buildup and the exhaust port was very clean. I bought this blower over 10 years ago and use it weekly.

I used Mobil 1 2T for a long time until I ran out. I now use either Stihl Ultra or Tru-Fuel @ 40-1.

I use Tru-Fuel in all my chainsaws. I know it's expensive, but it's ethanol free and uses a good synthetic oil. It's also 93 octane, which is good for my ported saws with over 185psi compression.

To the OP. Take your muffler off. Check the screen as mentioned and look into the exhaust port. If it's carboned up, remove the carbon. Keep the piston above the exhaust port to prevent that carbon from entering the crankcase. Usually, that's the problem and is easily fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back