2011 Equinox 3.0L DI V6 (PP 5W-30, 4,820) 9,760m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty good to me considering it's a new engine. It is mostly short trips, but there was also a few highway trips (1,000 miles to/from ohio, and 600 to/from niagara) Most driving is 8 miles a day for her commute, couple times a week to/from the mall about 20 miles of highway, and a few longer ones. In the end it's probably 50/50 city highway. Also I like the low fuel percentage.

viewerjb.png

Last edited:
Pretty heavily depleted TBN for such a short run and it is now a 20-weight. However, it appeared to have held up reasonably well otherwise. Was this change based on the OLM?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Fuel dilute is more like 2-3%. Thats why its a 20. Still, not horribly bad. What was the OLM at?
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Pretty heavily depleted TBN for such a short run and it is now a 20-weight. However, it appeared to have held up reasonably well otherwise. Was this change based on the OLM?

7% when I changed it. Also iirc PP is a bit on the thin side for a 30wt anyway, so when you combine a small amount of fuel and shearing from the engine, going slightly below 30wt spec doesn't seem that unusual. I'm looking forward to getting a UOA done on my cruze here in another 6,500 miles or so.

Last edited:
So this obviously has the recalibrated OLM then eh?
grin.gif

This app must be hard on oil.

I'm interested in seeing your Cruze UOA as well! I have one for my M5 coming up too if I can remember to send it away.

We're looking at trading in our 2010 4 cyl Equinox for a 2012. Got a mailing the other day from our local dealer that they are willing to give us $21,156 for our 2010! Actually stopped in the other day to see if it was legit and they said it was, but they didn't have a 2012 in stock with the trim we were looking for. Should have one this week.

But.... one thing I'm wondering: what type of gas mileage are you getting with the 3.0?

Yeah it looks like the OLM is bonkers. I will hold off the comments on the fuel but flashpoint is a little low but wear is where a suspect is would be with a new engine. The more and more data I see from GM'S new engines I see way GM is pushing dexos hard, but let's hope DI and the problems with it are ironed out soon. Good report.

DI engines chew up oil?
Really?
Seriously, this thing trashed that PP, and PP usually gives really good UOAs.
PP is even a Dexos 1 oil.
What was the OLM at when you drained this oil?
I'm curious, since you used a good oil and it still was pretty well done in The daily short trips probably didn't help.
If fuel dilution is the problem, an ester basestock oil might (I'm saying might) be the solution.
How about trying G-Oil in this engine?
The price is certainly right.
Did you put PP in for another run?
Do you plan on doing a UOA of the current fill?
It will be interesting to see what the current crop of GDI engines looks like after 100K or so.

Fuel dilute is more like 2-3%. Thats why its a 20. Still, not horribly bad. What was the OLM at?

It says fuel Dilute at 0.5% universal averages are 2%.
I was going to comment on how low it was.

Originally Posted By: johnachak

He is disagreeing with Blackstone's figure based on how much viscosity the oil lost.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Yeah it looks like the OLM is bonkers. I will hold off the comments on the fuel but flashpoint is a little low but wear is where a suspect is would be with a new engine. The more and more data I see from GM'S new engines I see way GM is pushing dexos hard, but let's hope DI and the problems with it are ironed out soon. Good report.

I think the OLM is on the money. Our Caddy is over 6 months on ~2,000 miles, the OLM is at 45%. Apparently it is taking the short trips into account. I am impressed. Our engine has 3 chains, I believe the 3.0 does also. That could add to the shearing. Remember, we just came off the winter oil change.

Last edited:

He is disagreeing with Blackstone's figure based on how much viscosity the oil lost.

Yeah, I got that. I think the shearing, short trips and winter gas and idling probably had a lot to do with it. We are talking about Upstate NY in the winter.

Last edited:

On what grounds?

On what grounds?

Viscosity drop and low flash point.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

On what grounds?

Viscosity drop and low flash point.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

It will be interesting to see what the current crop of GDI engines looks like after 100K or so.

My thinking exactly, time will tell. It sure works the oil pretty hard.

On what grounds?

I used the same calculation Blackstone does, however I adjusted the baseline flash to 400F. For some reason, they pick figures from 355-400F for baseline. Randomly.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I think the OLM is on the money. Our Caddy is over 6 months on ~2,000 miles, the OLM is at 45%. Apparently it is taking the short trips into account. I am impressed. Our engine has 3 chains, I believe the 3.0 does also. That could add to the shearing. Remember, we just came off the winter oil change.

I should have added "sarcasm" after the bonkers comment. Like I said wear is where I suspect it should be on a new engine and it is a good report overall. I would not change a thing in how this engine is maintained at the moment. Fuel dilution is a little high but it is not affecting wear at the moment.

I'm going to trust Blackstone on this I think. either way, a flashpoint of 355 isn't low enough for me to be concerned. I was more concerned about the copper at 18, but doesn't seem to be that unusual for such a new engine. Of course, time will tell. I will continue to follow the OLM, it was at 7% when I changed it this time.

As I said, PP 5W-30 has always been a rather thin 30wt, so it wouldn't take much in the way of shearing and fuel to drop the vis down a bit.;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back