Do Nitrile Gloves Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like all techs are using nitrile gloves these days. I never got them because I figured it would be hard to work without having the natural "touch" of my fingers plus I always thought they would easily rip. Do you folks use/like them?

Our transmission tech developed a bad allergic reaction to transmission fluid of all things. After an hour of contact with fluid his hands would just turn red and swell up. He wound up wearing nitrile gloves just so he could continue to work, and turn those 120 hour weeks. The early gloves he tried would shred after 15 minutes, but he eventually found some that could last through a teardown.

I absolutely use them. For most things they do just fine. Your touch isn't impeded much at all since they're pretty thin. The HF ones I use don't rip that easily. They do break down after prolonged contact with fluids, so they get changed every once in a while, usually when taking a break. The best part is not having to scrub my hands after a really dirty task! The dirty gloves go into the garbage, and my hands are still fairly clean.

I prefer latex gloves myself. The nitrile gloves definitely have better chemical resistance, but they're usually a pretty baggy fit. Latex is stretchier and fits my hands better so they're less likely to get snagged on and torn by every little sharp edge I get near. The tighter fit also makes it a lot easier to feel things. The nitrile gloves also tend to get very slippery when they get even a small amount of oil or grease on them, but the latex gloves will absorb a little oil and still allow for some grip; this is why they tend to soften, swell, and fall apart faster than nitrile. Thicker gloves last longer, but reduce feel. Try a couple varieties and see what works best for you.

Yes, they work...there is only a little lost feel, but it's very little...and you gain protection from used oil, chemicals, and other substances that are detrimental to long term health, not to mention you keep your hands clean (and your spouse happy that you're not messing things up while she's trying to cook...).

Best improvement to auto repair since I've started...well, that and the safety glasses with built-in reader lenses...

FWIW - I've found that Rite Aid's nitrile gloves are much more tear-resistant than a lot of others. They're even better than the ones I used to swipe from my employer's chemistry lab.

I use them almost all the time when wrenching at home or at work - they're invaluable to going home with relatively unscathed hands at the end of the day. Plus as has been mentioned, excellent resistance to many irritating chemicals. One metal lubricant used in the presses I deal with is a well-documented skin irritant and I often do get some slight dermatitis if I forget to glove up before handling plate coated with it.

I also wear them underneath cut-resistant gloves when clearing wrecks or jams in the die sets. Having your hands soaked with coolant or a skin irritating lube all day isn't pleasant in the least.

I try to use them or mechanic's gloves, depending upon application, as much as possible. Depending upon what is being done, loss of feel may or may not be an issue.

But for doing careful or small stuff, I generally do need to take them off, and then wet hands make for tough times getting them or a new pair back on. So then I end up doing without for a while, often...

Dont let them get too old or they will tear easier.

I buy the super heavy duty 10 mil ones from Harbor Freight. They are the toughest ones i have found. Most of the blue 5 mil ones rip too easily for me. Sometimes I can reuse the 10 mil ones for several days depending on the work.

I wear diamond grip latex at work. Not the most chemical resistant buy the grip fingers work well for bolts. And they stretch much better than nitrile.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I buy the super heavy duty 10 mil ones from Harbor Freight. They are the toughest ones i have found. Most of the blue 5 mil ones rip too easily for me. Sometimes I can reuse the 10 mil ones for several days depending on the work.

do you have the link? are they the black one? HF keeps on changing their supplier

If I used latex my skin would fall off. Nitrile work OK for an Oil change and some painting. I dust my hands with Burts Bees Talc free powder (the only thing I like from them)

They work pretty good as mentioned. Except lower quality ones tear easy. the worst part is they don't breath so you hand can get wet from prespiration.

I also find it most helpful to use lightly powdered gloves instead of powder free. If I rip a powder free glove, it's nearly impossible to put a new glove right back on. Lightly powdered gloves (or cheap baby powder under the gloves) makes it much quicker to pull on a fresh pair.

I starting to use gloves more and more. I hate when my hands sweat, so I use some baby powder all over my hands before I put on gloves. works great.

Last edited:
I like them. I used to have to wear them in a computer clean room environment many years ago. Now, I use them for oil changes, wood staining, unclogging toilets, etc. The Harbor Freight ones work fine for me.

Regular latex gloves are abundant and cheap, but they don't hold up well, and esp to grease/oil.
Nitrile are great. STronger and much more oil resistant.
Feel? Yes, you lose some. But the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
And remember, there are different brands, and have totally different characteristics. Good ones are very good!

Nitriles are good but when I perspire and get "prune fingers" they tear easy. This is worse in the winter when I get wet, dry skin, if you can imagine such a thing. I'll get a knuckle bleeding and not really notice it until I'm done with the job... then peel off a modest mess.

I save old ones and use them on small jobs like adding gas to OPE.

Another downside, though minor, is the sheen of oil I'm unaware of spreading further on my tools than I think they would bare-handed. This gets stuff like my cordless drill that I use for both car and non-car jobs. Yeah I use a rag, but rubberized grips soak it in.

I use them from time to time. If I know Im going to get my hands in coolant or oil I use them. They hold up well unless you get fuel on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back