Need an oil recommendation for Chevy Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what is in my Cruze ECO right now.

009-2.jpg

I dumped my FF at 2,580. I then filled it with QSUD, and went 7,008 miles on it. I will take the Kendall down to 0%.

BTW, the QSUD 5w-30 made in March 2012 has the dexos1 symbol on the label. Still $21 at Wal-Mart, so it's the next change for my car.

Finkle, where'd you get the Kendall?

Originally Posted By: XtremeRevolution
Any comments on Amsoil? I may consider just ordering that as I got a pretty good deal on it.

Just go to Wal-Mart, get some Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30 for $21+tax, and run it until 30% on the OLM. It's the cheapest dexos1 full syn out there. I've verified it's good down to 30% on the OLM via UOA. Next change will be at 0%, and I'll post the UOA here and on CT.

Well, I'll certainly get my oil tested at some point. I'm nearing that 5000 mile mark...

daves87rs, definitely get the 1.4L Turbo. If you get the 1.8L, you'll be wishing you didn't after a few thousand miles.

Gmfan, thanks for the link. I'll check that out. I'll pick one of the oil brands on the store shelf and stick to it at 5,000. I'll have it tested at 7,500.

Why get the 1.4L. We are actually looking at getting one and i was leaning toward the 1.8. It seem simpler. Are you talking about performance?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Finkle, where'd you get the Kendall?

I bought it at a local Kendall distributor.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Well, I'll certainly get my oil tested at some point. I'm nearing that 5000 mile mark...

daves87rs, definitely get the 1.4L Turbo. If you get the 1.8L, you'll be wishing you didn't after a few thousand miles.

Gmfan, thanks for the link. I'll check that out. I'll pick one of the oil brands on the store shelf and stick to it at 5,000. I'll have it tested at 7,500.

Why get the 1.4L. We are actually looking at getting one and i was leaning toward the 1.8. It seem simpler. Are you talking about performance?

The 1.4 is easier to drive around town thanks to its flat torque curve. It's got all its 148 ft/lbs of torque by 2000 RPM and keeps it up until about 5000 RPM. The 1.8 needs high revs to make its 123 ft/lbs of torque. Also, the 1.4 models have better gas mileage due to being a smaller engine, and not needing to rev as high to get around. At warm idle the 1.4 uses about 0.15 gallons/hour. Also, I rarely need to exceed 2500 RPM's to accelerate briskly with the 1.4.

The 1.4 is more complicated due to having the turbo and its hardware. It's not that much more complicated, though. Everything's easy to access since it's a tiny engine in a large engine bay.

Figured I'd post back here. I ended up grabbing a 5+ gallon jug of Mobil 1 full syn for $36 plus tax. I'll have it tested once I get 10k miles out of it to determine if it's suitable for going any farther than that.

Quote:
So, when you ask for advice, tell us about your car! The more details, the better. Here are the essential points:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
3. Where you live
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
6. Whether your car has any known problems

If you have any preferences -- synthetic vs. conventional, store-bought vs. ordered online, how long you'd like to go between oil changes, etc. -- or any other info you think might be important, let us know that as well.

Once again, the more details, the better. BITOG loves a good oil recommendation thread, especially when you give us a lot to work with.

Per the above, I need a recommendation for oil. Those who recognize my screen name will know I've been through enough automotive experience to rebuild a Jag V12 motor and then some. I don't work as a mechanic, but I've gotten more than just my hands dirty on hundreds of occasions.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - The car is a 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco MT, with the 1.4L Turbo motor

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well - DEXOS1 oil, or 5W-30.

3. Where you live - Chicago suburbs

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - I drive to optimize fuel economy. I very rarely exceed 2500RPM. I typically shift at 2000 into 2nd, 1700 into 3rd, and 1500RPM from there on. 95% of my driving is done under 1700RPM with an average speed of ~31mph. My lifetime FE is 38.9mpg with over 80% city driving if that gives you an indication of how I drive this car.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - 27 miles round trip to work and back without hitting the highway. Over 80% in-town driving, averaging ~31mph. 11 miles round trip to church and back a couple of nights a week, and occasional grocery shopping or trips to nearby stores.

6. Whether your car has any known problems - the car has 4000 miles, so no.

The reason why I'm posting is because the car has 4000 miles on it with the factory oil, and the last test someone did on this oil noted that it was nearly ready to be changed at 5,000 even though the OLM recommended a change at 10,000, with full synthetics like Mobil 1 being more reliable for use according to the OLM's recommendation.

I would appreciate a recommendation for motor oil. I've looked at Royal Purple but I'm doubting it's merit. I've also read many conflicting reviews about it, so I figured I'd ask here. I do have Pennzoil, Mobil, and Valvoline available to me at local auto stores.

Thanks!

dexos1 = synthetic 5W-30 (HTHS < 3.5 cP [not the A3/Bx or CJ-4 xW-30, thick-oil-film kind])

Do a UOA with TBN at the end of the 10,000 miles and if the TBN is less than 3, use Mobil 1 Extended Performance or similar extended synthetic, which offer TBN protection, next time. Otherwise, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, or even Mobil Super Full Synthetic, and similar oils are fine.

For warranty's sake, I've been using QSUD 5W-30 in my 2011 Silverado since it is readily available and meets the dexos spec. So far great experience with this oil. Mobil 1 is also easily found and is dexos approved. Others on the GM list would do just fine, but may be harder to find. I just hope SOPUS leaves QSUD alone and keeps it certified unlike they did with PP.

Last edited:
Figured I'd post back here. I ended up grabbing a 5+ gallon jug of Mobil 1 full syn for $36 plus tax. I'll have it tested once I get 10k miles out of it to determine if it's suitable for going any farther than that.

You got a 5.1 GALLON jug of Mobil 1 for $36. Maybe you meant a 5.1 quart jug. WalMart has 5 quart jugs for less than $28 by me in NJ. Did you get the Mobil 1 oil filter with the oil at that price? Then it's a decent deal.

Whimsey

Chevy Cruze Filters

1.4 Turbo
CH10246 (oil filter) (Purolator L15839)
CA10989 (engine air filter) (Purolator A46152)
CF10775 (cabin air filter) (Purolator C36154C)

CH10246 (oil filter) (Purolator L15839)
CA10990 (engine air filter) (Purolator A36163)
CF10775 (cabin air filter) (Purolator C36154C)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back