Changing the oil in a Equinox 3.0L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The picture with the jack in it, the hole above, and to the right of the jack, there is what appears to be a fair bit of rust on it too. I would definitely get it looked at !!
crazy2.gif

I noticed that too, also I'm surprised that there is absolutely nor rustproofing underneath from the factory. I would bring it up to the dealer as well, but as with most rust warranties, they cover perforation only, not surface rust.

Also I like the comment that 15 mm wrench works best. I think that a metric bolt has something to do with it
lol.gif

The only thing that looks out of the ordinary to me is the resonator just prior to the rear suspension arms. Most stainless steel systems will discolor quickly to that brownish/tannish color, but that resonator does look pretty pocked with rust.

As stated earlier though, I doubt anything could or would be done about it. It would certainly be worth keeping an eye on though, especially before the basic limited warranty runs out.

And thank you for (previously) supporting the fine folks of Fayetteville, NC, with the Purolator filter. Boo on that K&N Champ dealy.

Nick:

Since you are a fan of learning, this is why you use a block of wood or jacking blocks when using jack stands:

nickstuff01.jpg

Those marks are now targets for corrosion.

And the rust spots that we were talking about are these:

nickstuff02.jpg

IMHO, that is simply not normal for a vehicle this new!

Hope you don't mind me blowing those up in photoshop
smile.gif

-Chris

I wouldnt even use jackstands. This is perfect application for ramps.

harbor freight sells rubber covers for jackstands also.

something like

These

Last edited:
Good eye Overkill, and it is a big no, no. Just look at the damage done over few OCIs and imagine how it's going to look like after 10 years of this abuse plus the rust that will be inevitable. A block of wood or even a hockey puck works great.

Edit:
I think the best spot for jack stands would be the cross member bolt in the second picture that Overkill posted, using a block of wood of course.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
A block of wood or even a hockey puck works great.

Hockey pucks work most excellently for placing on top of a jack. And, those seemingly over-priced HF jackstand pads do a great job with not dinging up the underside of the car. They also make the HF jackstands work better on the pinch seams that are designated as jacking points. Well worth it, IMO.

Rust stinks. It's unfortunately one of the prices we pay for living in the Northeast with its copious salt mines.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
It's unfortunately one of the prices we pay for living in the Northeast with its copious salt mines.

Ya, but why do we pay the price? Why are staying in the rust belt even when (some of us) had ample opportunity to get the h out of here?

We need to make a list of reasons why we don't bail out on Northeast.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Sadly it looks like a new vehicle driven through one NE winter underneath. I have found a lot of those SS mufflers get completely coated with rust, but never rust through.

Why the need for jackstands? I am able to get under my Terrain easily without them and take care of the filter from above.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why the need for jackstands? I am able to get under my Terrain easily without them and take care of the filter from above.

That was going to be my question too. Its an SUV, isn't it? I would think there'd be ample clearance under there to reach everything without raising the vehicle. I only raise the cars if I can't physically reach the drain plug or filter.

I can second the ramps....i love them, work great!

If that bolt referred to in the Overkill pic is where the sub-frame mounts to the body, I agree and that is where I place my stands. Un fortunately that's also where I usually jack from when just doing wheels or brakes. Piece of plywood on the jack and one of the larger contours on the floor works when I need the stands.

If i can manage an oil change with no jack on the Golf, I think the equinox should have enough clearance.

Thanks for the write up. These DI engines sure do give entertaining UOAs to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back