Ford giving driving lessons on hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-10-14-hybrid-school-usat_x.htm

Ford teaching drivers how to maximize hybrid mileage. One of the big lessons is learning to brake earlier, to take advantage of the regenerative charging. Stopping quickly does not take advantage of the recharging. Some of the drivers got an immediate 3 mpg more after taking the course. This is Ford's response to hybrid owners unhappy with their gas mileage....

I think the best way to learn how to drive is to drive with a car with weak/blown struts/shocks. That way you are forced to learn how to balance your weight and accelerate/brake at the right time and intensity. And as a result, better gas milage.

Great to know about these driving lessons. I am also taking lessons from a well-known Port Macquarie Driving School. Their trainers are well qualified and provide all tips which are quite easy to learn. Feeling glad to join this driving school. Will recommend my friends too.

A 9% increase is good, however, driving is just part of it. LRR tires and higher tire pressures can yield the same MPG increases and maybe more depending on which tires are used. My 05 Prius took an 18% hit in MPG going from Michelin X-Radial tires to Michelin Defenders and, when I went to Michelin Energy Saver A/S, I saw a gain of about 20% over the Defenders.

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
More than 80% of drivers could get 3 more MPG simply by changing their driving habits.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I contend that the vast majority of drivers would not trade in for an additional 3MPG (or even 5MPG for that matter) if it meant they could not race to the next stop light and brake at the last moment.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I contend that the vast majority of drivers would not trade in for an additional 3MPG (or even 5MPG for that matter) if it meant they could not race to the next stop light and brake at the last moment.

I agree with the above comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back