Excellent Oil Basics by Mark Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this today and thought it particularly well written and knowledgable. I thought you might benefit from it. It confirmed for me the practice of looking for the API certification then finding the cheapest that bears the latest and greatest API standard - SM.

Enjoy.

Jim

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Thanks for the article.

quote:

Diester synthetics are polar molecules with solvent properties which dissolve residues and combustion byproducts

quote:

Most people blending S type automotive oils are buying their base oils from a company who is most likely using the Chevron Iso- DeWaxing process to make their oils, then buying their additive package from another company that is highly constrained by the API standards. The cost of getting an API certification for a single S motor oil formulation is from $125,000 to $300,000. The cost for C certification is $275,000 to $500,000. Once testing is complete, the oil can be licensed for $825 per year, plus a small royalty fee per gallon sold for all gallons over one million. The length of time between new specifications is now approximately 2 to 3 years, which does not allow a great deal of time to recover testing costs.

Additive companies, such as Lubrizol, Ethyl, Infinium and Oronite develop licensed additive formulas that they offer to oil companies to re-license. It is inexpensive to re-license one of these formulas, and the majority of oil companies choose to do this to avoid the costs associated with testing. Thus, the same chemistry is being sold under many brand names. Because of this, S type automotive oils have pretty much turned into a commodity. Although the people selling a particular brand may wish you to believe their oil is superior to any other, in fact if it's got the API seal on it, it's probably about the same as any other similarly rated automotive oil.

quote:

In 1994, Dr. John Woolum tested the viscosity of several 10w-40 oils in his motorcycle. He found that all of the petroleum oils had lost highly significant amounts of viscosity within 1500 miles. Only Mobil-1 held up in his test.

quote:

Finally, there are new chemicals emerging which are made from liquefied natural gas called GTL (gas to liquid) base oils. These will be called Group III+, and many people think they will become an important part of the oils you buy by 2010. These GTL base oils have natural VIs of 140 or more, meaning for most applications they won't require any VII package at all. Natural

quote:

However, modern group-III oils can nearly match the performance of PAOs at about half the price. Because of this, PAO based oils are rapidly disappearing. There are new processes being investigated which may significantly cut the cost of producing PAOs, and make them an important component of oil again.

quote:

However, the esters are polar molecules and have very significant solvent properties - an ester base oil all by itself will do a very decent job of keeping your engine clean. So, people who are serious about making a superior oil will usually mix some Group V oils into their base stock.

Quoting the article:

"The C certified oils are all also S certified, just as some S certified oils are also C certified. The best C certified oils are SG, usually SH, sometimes SJ. I don't know of a C certified oil which is SL. The best S certified oils are CF, which is a relatively old and obsolete C standard, and does not include the tests for high speed high temperature engines that CG, CH, and CI have. In fact, CF oil does not meet the current factory standards for Volkswagen or Mercedes diesel passenger cars."

Rotella 15w-40 and Rotella Syn 5w-40 both meet SL.

Mobil Delvac 1300 also meets SL. Same is true for Delo 400 multi-grade 15w-40.

So I think the author may have mis-spoke in this area. I think he is right that none of these oils meet SM, but many of them meet SL.

Dated info wrong in at least 5-6 areas but other wise OK as a basic primer on the subject and with
easy to understand talk.
bruce

Interesting article and I learned something.

"You could imagine a device that pulled out your oil, gave it a very thorough cleaning, replaced the buffers, detergents, and VII molecules, and put it back into your engine. Sort of a motor oil dialysis machine. However, in a country that has Texas and Alaska, in a world where oil is $30 / barrel, this makes no sense."

Wow, he must have wrote this a few yrs ago!
shocked.gif

quote:

I thought "S" stood for spark and "C" for compression?

That's what I thought too FWIW...

Although if it's actually 'Motor Oil' as opposed to 'Engine Oil' (I really miss the signatures!!!), then it can only be "S*" rated 'cause the only thing a motor produces are sparks
grin.gif

S = spark ignition or SERVICE
C = COMPRESSION ignition or COMMERCIAL
(from PENNZOIL training manual which i was sent about 3 years ago thanks to PENNZOIL)

S ment Service
C ment Commercial

BUT I perfer spark and compression boy showing my age since that goes back 30+ years
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back