What motor oil for a Yamaha XC125 Riva Scooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to revive the Riva after 3 years of hibernation. If there s any other oil that should be changed as well please let me know. Hopefully I can make it last for a while.

Thanks!

Mac: if you don't have an owners manual you might ask at a local bike shop. Most scooters in the 200-400cc range that I know about use any brand 10-40 oil. I think you'd be safe with that. If it has a filter you might find it behind an alum cover about 2 1/2 inches in diameter held by 2 bolts. Take bolts out and see...if it has a slip in filter, you'r gonna need to go. to a dealer to buy one anyway. As a footnote: the Honda Helix is a 250cc motor and uses only a screen inside the cover that really only catches very large particles. You may have something like that. If so, cleaning is all you can do.

The rear drive of the CVT unit prob has a drain plug for the gear oil. If so, it won't hold much oil (10-40) about 1/4 pint or less. Some have a small bolt on lower end to drain and one on top to fill. If so, after draining, refill till it runs out the top and won't hold any more.

Edited: found this spec sheet which tells you how much oil for engine and rear end; you can figure the litres to ounces. also read that it doesnt have a fuel filter and you should get one at a small engine supply shop and put in inline whereever you can find the rubber fuel line. LIkely your tank has goop in it from sitting 3 years and needs cleaning before you try to start it. Key Specs:
* Engine: Air cooled, 2 valve, 124cc, single cylinder, 4 stroke, single overhead cam
* Horsepower: 11.4 HP @ 8000 RPM
* Torque: 7.97 ft/lbs @ 6500 RPM
* Bore & Stroke: 49mm x 66mm
* Compression: 10.0:1
* Fuel System: 22mm Carb
* Spark plug: NGK C6HSA
* Spark plug gap: (0.6 – 0.7 mm)
* Lubrication: Wet sump, 1.0 litres
* Final drive: 0.15 litres
* Air filter: Wet type foam element
* Chassis Type: Steel tube underbone, 27 deg. Caster angle
* Length overall: 74 ”
* Width overall: 25.6 ”
* Height overall: 43.1 ”
* Seat height: 29.9 ”
* Wheelbase: 49.2 ”
* Ground clearance: 4.3 ”
* Weight (Dry/Wet): 209lbs / 225lbs
* Carrying Capacity: 370 lbs (passengers and cargo)
* Fuel tank: 1.8 gallons, 7.0 litres
* Light bulbs: Headlight: 40w/45w, Brake: 8w/27w, Signal: 27w
* Front suspension: Bottom-link fork, 3.3 ” travel (85 mm)
* Rear Suspension: Unit swing, 2.8 ” travel, (70 mm)
* Shocks: Front: coil spring, oil damper, Rear: gas, coil spring, oil damper
* Brakes: 130mm drum (front and rear)
* Rims: MT3.50 x 10 cast aluminum
* Tires: Tubeless, Front: 3.5-10 4PR Rear: 3.50-10 REINF
* MSRP: $1299 (1984 USA)

Last edited:
i would recommend SRT and change it often!

1L is not much oil.

worse in an air cooled motor!

frequent oci's will be very important not matter what oil you chose.

steve

I'd run Rotella or any other HDEO. The Heavy Duty diesel oils would actually be preferably to regular 10W-40 motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back