3-way motion sensor switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have a three-way switch setup on the stairs to my basement which lets me turn on the basement lights from either the landing (which has an entry door), or the top. It works well, unless youre carrying a load, in which case it can be more of a hassle. We are re-doing some parts of the stairway, so I was thinking of putting in a motion sensor switch just at one of the locations, so it can scan for motion. I dont see a need for two, as the switches are in close proximity.

The Leviton ODS10-IAW model is US made, so it is what I'd go with. They offer a Mexican and Chinese variant which I am boycotting.

The instructions can be seen here:
www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment...amp;appName=IBE

For convenience, the wiring diagram is as follows:

ScreenShot2012-04-21at81048AM.png

So it shows either a single motion sensor switch wired to control the load, or two wired together in a three-way fashion, but they are two identical switches.

What if I want one motion sensor switch and one standard, old fashioned three-way switch which is already wired into the circuit? Will there be issues with this?

Thanks!

If there is no need for two motion detectors then you don't need a second switch of any type. The single detector will turn on the lights from either end.

That wiring diagram is not a three way, it's a parallel circuit. If you were to replace one of the sensors with a toggle it would override the automatic sensor and manually control the lights.

Bottom line is both switches need to be a three way with three terminals each for it to function as a three way circuit.

True, parallel vs 3-way... Thought it looked funky.

My setup is wired for three-way though... FWIW. do I need to reconcile the circuit somehow, even if I go to single switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back