Red line and Used Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading on here that sometimes when a person starts using Red Line Products it sometimes takes a few oil changes for the UOA to "settle down". Anyone have an idea what they were talking about? I couldn't find anything to support this using the search function.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Every engine has about 1 quart of oil or more in the enternals even after draining the oil. If brands are switched, it takes a few oil changes to wash out the other brand of oil.

I dump 6qts in and I usually almost always get 5.75 qts back. I dunno if Id go as far to say atleast 1qt or more.

I believe he is talking about high wear metals in the first uoa of running RL

Last edited:
Redline is a group IV/V basestock oil. It is said to be on the heavy side of group V. This oil may have a "cleaning effect" especially if the engine was using dino oil before the switch.
My experience with oil changes is that I drain and replace the volume stated by the manufactor.

Every engine has about 1 quart of oil or more in the enternals even after draining the oil. If brands are switched, it takes a few oil changes to wash out the other brand of oil.

"Every"? Really?

How is it then that many times you can fill up to the capacity as per the manufacturer and the dipstick measures to the full line?

How is it then that oil can be clean for hundreds of miles after an oil change if there is 1/5th or 1/6th of old black oil mixed in?

Some manufactures have oil capacity for oil and filter change and for rebuild engine, the amount of oil needed after rebuilt is usually about 1 quart more than oil change.

Originally Posted By: volk06

I dump 6qts in and I usually almost always get 5.75 qts back. I dunno if Id go as far to say atleast 1qt or more.

That's because your engine is consuming a bit of oil (and some of the oil you put into the oil filter media is staying absorbed in there) But when you drain an engine of it's oil, no matter how long you let it drain there is going to be leftover oil in some of the passages as well as oil that gets trapped in the cylinder heads too. It all depends on the engine's design but I have heard that the small block Chevy holds close to one quart of oil behind.

Maybe in an engine where it was pumped through the dipstick like a boat engine, but not a normal car engine. I guess you could have the car at such an odd angle that some oil was pushed to the opposite end of the drain plug in the oil pan.

But a normal car oil change, very little.

I would be surprised if there was more than 1/4 cup of leftover oil after you drained it. I let it drain until it goes from a tiny stream to a series of drops and feel its done.

Originally Posted By: Patman

That's because your engine is consuming a bit of oil (and some of the oil you put into the oil filter media is staying absorbed in there) But when you drain an engine of it's oil, no matter how long you let it drain there is going to be leftover oil in some of the passages as well as oil that gets trapped in the cylinder heads too. It all depends on the engine's design but I have heard that the small block Chevy holds close to one quart of oil behind.

My engine does not burn any oil, that's how much is usually in my small oil filter. I agree there is some left over but not over 1qt in my experiences.

Originally Posted By: Patman

My engine does not burn any oil, that's how much is usually in my small oil filter. I agree there is some left over but not over 1qt in my experiences.

But in your "experiences" are you tearing down the engine to find what is actually leftover inside of it? Because that's what we're saying here, that there is always going to be leftover oil inside of an engine that does not come out unless you completely tear down the engine and take into account the fact that there are many places where oil can "hide" You simply cannot get every last drop of oil out of an engine at oil change time, and there is most certainly the possibility of having one quart of old oil in an engine every time you drain the oil. Anyone who has torn down an engine can confirm that there are certainly lots of places where oil can collect that won't drain out when you pull the drain plug.

You're right, but in the couple of engines I've actually had apart, the residual oil was nowhere close to a quart.
More like a few ounces.

Patman is right. It really depends upon the engine. No matter what the engine, you're not going to get it all out unless you tear the thing down completely and clean it.

Sure, some leave behind what we'd consider a rather negligible amount. However, the RX-8 with the rotary, for example, leaves about two litres behind, and that's confirmed in the dealer's literature. It mentions the oil cooler and notes the difference between a fill from dry and a normal oil and filter change.

Wow you all can really get off track of the intent of the thread can't you? Now back to the origional question.....

Buster posted comments from one of the guys who works for Red Line about this. Basically, they said it's a chemistry thing. Maybe you can find it or he will chime in.

Originally Posted By: DinoLover

"Every"? Really?

How is it then that many times you can fill up to the capacity as per the manufacturer and the dipstick measures to the full line?

Really Junior, it's true!
cry.gif

Seems everyone forgot about the oil left in hydraulic lifters, they hold quite a bit, and the more valves (and lifters) you have, the more oil that gets left behind. I used to try and get the most oil out that I could by re-installing the old oil-drained filter, and cranking the engine with no oil in the pan. The cam compressing the lifters forces oil back into the filter on the "clean" side, a fairly large amount, too.

But I digress...... Yes I have heard that RedLine's chemistry cleans deposits that may have accumulated wear metals, spiking the readings in UOAs. Best to run an initial load of RL a very short interval, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I was reading on here that sometimes when a person starts using Red Line Products it sometimes takes a few oil changes for the UOA to "settle down". Anyone have an idea what they were talking about? I couldn't find anything to support this using the search function.

I agree Red Line does a good job of cleaning the internals of engines, I will recommend a person to use Red Line for a OCI or two if the user does not want to use Auto-Rx. I have seen more than a few UOA's at 7-10K OCI's with Red Line and Red Line was cleaning the engine, that much could been seen from the data.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

I agree Red Line does a good job of cleaning the internals of engines, I will recommend a person to use Red Line for a OCI or two if the user does not want to use Auto-Rx. I have seen more than a few UOA's at 7-10K OCI's with Red Line and Red Line was cleaning the engine, that much could been seen from the data.

Hmmm... I'll have to put some into my 98 Camry after my Auto-RX cleaning and rinse cycle is complete. If it's still dirty, Redline 5w30 is going in (i have 7 quarts leftover from my previous car that i used it in)

I'll report how good it's cleaning abilities are later... I'm sceptical about it doing any good.

Originally Posted By: DinoLover

"Every"? Really?

Really Junior, it's true!
cry.gif

33.gif

Don't you think the manufacturer takes that into account when suggest the proper refill amount? They know a good bit of oil remains within the engine after the pan is drained.
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back