Anyone notice the "New" Castrol GTX Diesel 15w40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went into Autozone today to get a case of Castrol GTX Diesel GTX 15w40 for my flat-tappet Land Cruiser motor and the formula has been changed from SL to a SN rated oil !!
mad.gif

Any other suggestions for off-the-shelf SL or earlier rated oil with high zinc ?

I don't want to mail-order, if possible. And I'm in Los Angeles, so there aren't any tractor supply or CAT dealers around here...

Thanks!

Considering it's a 40 weight and non-ILSAC rated, I wouldn't worry about diminished ZDDP levels. I'd use it. Walmart will also sell Rotella and possibly other HDEOs, including Supertech.

I picked up 22 of the Castrol GTX, Diesel, 15w-40 in API-SL, white quarts bottles at the Kmart clearance extravaganza for $.99 a quart. The bottles were a little discolored but the contents is just fine.

I also picked up 6 White Gallon Castrol Tection, Diesel, 15w-40 in API-SL at the clearance sale of Kmart. Where they found these quarts and gallons of API-SL is unknown to me? But I left the stores after paying $6 a gallon for the "Old" Tection.

IMO....Kmart or maybe some old NAPA stores, that don't get much oil business, might still have some laying around.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Spike_Strip
Just went into Autozone today to get a case of Castrol GTX Diesel GTX 15w40 for my flat-tappet Land Cruiser motor and the formula has been changed from SL to a SN rated oil !!
mad.gif

Any other suggestions for off-the-shelf SL or earlier rated oil with high zinc ?

I don't want to mail-order, if possible. And I'm in Los Angeles, so there aren't any tractor supply or CAT dealers around here...

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I picked up 22 of the Castrol GTX, Diesel, 15w-40 in API-SL, white quarts bottles at the Kmart clearance extravaganza for $.99 a quart. The bottles were a little discolored but the contents is just fine.

Off topic, but at a hardware store today, I saw some SJ Quaker State 10w-30. $3.99 a litre, to boot.
wink.gif

Well I dont know if its easy to find out there, but around here I can buy 10w40 Mystik syn blend HDEO that is SJ/CH rated for about 23 bucks for a 2 gallon jug.

mad.gif

That stinks, but they stayed CI-4 grade far longer than other major brands.

Anyway, it must be a fairly recent change which means there should be plenty GTX CI-4 still on the shelves. I suggest you call around, hit a number of stores and stock up.

I know Advance Auto has them but very pricey, over $5 qt. and not a fast seller with Rotella on the shelf below going for $12.99 gal.
However, AAP is not out west, how about O'Reillys or Kragens?

mad.gif

Thanks!

CJ-4 completely overrides SM, SN, SL, etc. as far as additive contents are concerned. Therefore, a CJ-4/SN oil and a CJ-4/SL oil have the same limits on ZDDP, total metal content (= sulphated ash), etc.

Here is the CJ-4 specification. ZDDP limit is 1200 ppm phosphorus:

http://www.apicj-4.org/performance_specs.html

As far as the CJ-4 vs CI-4 (Plus) debate is concerned, CJ-4 is better in all respects, period.

There is no limit on zinc. The limit is on phosphorus. It only applies to ILSAC oils -- Resource Conserving (GF-5) or Energy Conserving (GF-4). In other words, it's not the SN/SM/etc. that induces the limits -- it's the GF-5/GF-4/etc. (Resource Conserving / Energy Conserving).

GF-5 and GF-4 limit on phosphorus is 800 ppm.

API CJ-4 also has a limit on phosphorus, which is 1200 ppm.

In principle, if you buy an oil that is SN or SM but neither GF-x nor CJ-4, there is no limit on phosphorus (ZDDP content). For example 10W-40 SN PCMO has no limit on phosphorus but 15W-40 CJ-4 HDEO has a limit of 1200 ppm.

Ultimately, what is the real assurance on engine wear is not the ZDDP content but engine tests. CJ-4 has strict criteria on engine wear and you won't go wrong with any quality CJ-4 as far as wear is concerned. In addition, a synthetic CJ-4 can also improve piston-ring cleaning and therefore protect more against bore polishing than a conventional CJ-4 but they should perform similarly otherwise, apart from the longer OCI of the synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
CJ-4 is better in all respects, period.

Dont know if I would agree with "in all respects". I bet Delvac MX would go for a longer drain than Delvac 1300.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back