Falcon Rocky mountain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tires currantly on my pickup are Goodyears and they are terrible! So I'm looking at America's tires website and I found a tire I was interested in.

Cooper Discoverer ATP

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTir...HINT&cs=285

So I wandered over to the tire store to check them out. The sales guy told me that I cant put those on my truck and that I need a "LT" tire.

LT285/75R16E1 126R W

These have "LT" in them! Ya whatever. So he brings out a Falcon Rocky mountain. I'm considering them but the reviews on America's tires site have me worried. Many people say they are squirelly and stink like Cow poop.

Has anybody used the Falcons? And why can't I use a "LT" tire made by Cooper but I can use a "LT" tire made by Falcon? I wonder if theres a bonus for the salesman if he can unload the Falcons?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTir...HINT&cs=285

I have these on the back of a older 3/4 ton dodge truck. I'm going to replace the front tires in the very near future. They are not too expensive considering the ratings.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/readReviewsTire.do?ra=tires%2Fhankook%2Fproduct%2FviewProductDetail&pc=10833

If your truck is a 2500/25 or 3500/35, yes, you need LT tires. If not, no, you don't.

Big difference between Falcon and Falken. First off, there is no such tire brand as Falcon.... Falken is OK, not great, and maybe the only tire he had in your size in stock.

Cooper's new tire line is the Discoverer A/T3. (Not one of the other, older Discoverer models). I'd look closely at those. They are available in LT sizes. The Discoverer ATP, I think, has been discontinued, but the tire stores and warehouses need to sell their inventory.
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck.aspx

They put these exact tires, LT rated no less, on my step-moms Ram 1500. They also went up a size from P245/70R17 to LT265/70R17.
I found out about the change because she was asking me about MPG loss. Well, first of all, her odo isnt reading all the miles shes traveling because its a larger tire, and its a rather aggressive tire for her uses.
I think they are getting something from unloading them.
I would find a different location and try to get the tires you want. This guy is obviously feeding you [censored] to get you into a different tire. (a LT does not equal LT?)
In fact, the Coopers are a higher rated LT than the Falkens! The Coopers are an E-rated and the Falkens are only a D.

Be careful with America's Tire. They have a tendency to steer you into tires that they have a financial incentive to unload. I noticed they get real excited about selling Yokohama YK580s and those Falcons you mentioned. In fact, there were a TON of those Falcon Rocky Mountains at the America's Tire when I was there last week.

Stick to what you are looking for, and do not be easily swayed by those shrewd salesmen.

The Yokohama YK580 is a good tire regardless of anyone "pushing" it. Do they make more money on it since it is an exclusive? probably...That should not detract from the quality of the tire IMO. It is priced competitively with other Yokohama tires.

Specs are from Yokohama not Discount.

Yokohama YK580 Specs

I don't think those Yokohamas have an agressive tread pattern that I need. Remenber I will be out in the desert running over rocks, bushes and climbing hills. I really want BFG's but I can't afford those. The Falcons have a 3 ply sidewall and thats a good selling point for me.

The Coopers you wanted will have more plies than the Falkens they are steering you to. This is due to the Coopers having a higher load rating.
btw, they are talking about the Yokohamas in the context of Americas Tire pushing certain tires. No one was suggesting it for your truck as it is a car tire. :p

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The Coopers you wanted will have more plies than the Falkens they are steering you to. This is due to the Coopers having a higher load rating......

Not exactly. If I sub-divide "plies" into 3 categories - Sidewall (or body) plies, belts, and cap plies - both the Coopers and the Falkens will have 2 body plies (likely polyester), 2 steel belts, and they may or may not have nylon cap plies (1 or 2). This is standard construction throughout the tire industry.

Further, a Load Range D may have a heavier ployester cord (but still 2 plies) than a Load Range E.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
.....btw, they are talking about the Yokohamas in the context of Americas Tire pushing certain tires. No one was suggesting it for your truck as it is a car tire. :p

????? They are both LT tires so by definition they are both designed for truck usage.

I had the Yokohama Avid Touring tires put on my car from a Consumer reports test. They were really good tires except for the major cracking on the sidewalls. I don't think I got much over 1/2 the tread worn, but replaced them on the concern that the sidewalls had 1/8" cracks in them. I'm not getting Yoko tires again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back