Tekton 2432 1/4" torque wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delivered today from Amazon and used it to torque intake manifold (11ft-lb), camshaft bearing end-caps (12ft-lb) and valve cover bolts (69in-lbs) on my 99 Avalon. The wrench worked very well. Looks and feels good. Engraved numbers on the chrome handle are not easy to see unless you hold it in the light just right and then you can see them very well. When you turn the handle to adjust the torque up/down, it does slightly catch a little bit sometimes, but for $30 delivered, it is pretty darn nice. Regarding accuracy, the first thing I did was a calibration check. I weighed the wrench on a postal scale so I knew the self-imposed torque with the wrench hanging in horizontal position. Then I hung exactly 10 lbs with a 10" lever. This calculates to 106.7 in-lbs. The wrench clicked with authority at 106 on the money.

PS. I have no interest whatsoever in Amazon or MIT tools and I offer this review voluntarily without compensation of any kind.

Last edited:
MIT is another made in China/Taiwan I believe.I have seen that brand in the econo tool stores/nick nack shops.I believe it means "Michigan Industrial Tools",but Michigan doesnt mean made there.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
MIT is another made in China/Taiwan I believe.I have seen that brand in the econo tool stores/nick nack shops.I believe it means "Michigan Industrial Tools",but Michigan doesnt mean made there.

Yes, MIT is Michigan Industrial Tools. I assume it is made in China but I'll check. I doubt if will be still be working great 30 years from now like my trusty Craftsman Digitork but it paid for itself a few times over already.

Made in Taiwan. Instructions say that if tool has not been used for a while or is brand new, work it several times at low torque to distribute internal lubrication. After I did that a dozen times or so, the wrench works very smoothly. Really, for $30 delivered, you just can't beat this thing.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
So does the $9.99 from HF because they are made in the same Taiwan factory!

Maybe, but the cheapy HF is definitely not the same. For one thing, the HF does not click. Also, the reviews for HF are very bad but the reviews for the Tekton are pretty good.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
So does the $9.99 from HF because they are made in the same Taiwan factory!

Maybe, but the cheapy HF is definitely not the same. For one thing, the HF does not click. Also, the reviews for HF are very bad but the reviews for the Tekton are pretty good.

I also suspect they are the same or are very, very similar. The HF is made in Taiwan.

Who told you the HF wrench doesn't click? That's not correct. I believe the "click" is actually the mechanism hitting the inside of the handle as the mechanism gives. On lower torque settings, some wrenches don't make a loud "click," you can just feel them give. My Craftsman and Armstrong are this way.

I have a 1/2" HF torque wrench and it works fine. It's not as nice as my USA made Armstrong or CDI, but it works fine.

There's more than one 1/4" shown in the pics on the HF website, but I looked at them recently and it appears this is the one they now carry.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-2696.html

image_11272.jpg

The current picture on HF website deos NOT look like the one shown in Stephen's picture or the one I bought last year. It is possible that HF has changed the supplier for their 1/4 torque wrench :-(

The current picture on HF website deos NOT look like the one shown in Stephen's picture or the one I bought last year. It is possible that HF has changed the supplier for their 1/4 torque wrench :-(

I just read the Owners Manual for the wrench shown in Stephen's picture. It is not the Tekton I bought. The most obvious difference is that on the HF, one handle rotation is 10 in-lbs. On mine it is 15 in-lbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: artbuc

Mine clicks just fine, thank you!

The HF I have which came in a red molded carry case has markings in 15 in-lb too. If you have HF store nearby, definitely check it out and take a $12.99 super coupon from current flyer with you. All 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch are at the same price in that coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back