2008 Mini Cooper Redline 0w-30 vs. 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2008 Mini Cooper base model with automatic and it now has 20,000 miles. During the free maintenance program we had to use the Mini Synthetic 5w-30. We live in Eastern Kansas where it sometimes gets cold but also can get over 100 in the summer. All it is used for is driving to work about 5 miles a trip or short hops around town. Now that we're beyond free maintenance, I want to use Redline but can't decide whether to go with 0W-30 or 5W-30. I want to increase the gas mileage if possible but am concerned about the 0-30 not meeting A3/B3. I have read some posts of people getting better mileage with the 0w-30 of other brands of oil. Any thoughts anyone?

Mix 0w30 and 0w40 1:1. That will give you an HTHS of 3.6 with a VI of 190!

Or run the 0w40 with HTHS 4.0 and VI of 197.

Redline is very "heavy", so I would say that the 0w30 might be best for your application.

Now might also be a good time to switch to a good transmission and gear oil, and Redline D4 ATF and 75w90 Gear Oil are excellent products that I would personally stand behind. I use them in 3 different BMWs currently with fantastic results.

Don't chase after better gas mileage by using thin engine oil, please.
33.gif

If you're not a street racer, get tires designed for economy (lighter ones then your stock tires is also a HUGE plus for MPGs)

install synthetic fluids where possible (if the factory lube isn't already some kind of synthetic because that will help the mechanical parts work better and cause less drag which will = better MPGs)

If you go by what Redline themselves say about the viscosity of their oils, they usually say that their 5w30 oil is as thick as a petroleum 10w40! So if your engine requires 5w30 and you want to use Redline oil, their 5w20 or even 0w20 in reality is as thick as 5w30.

I also asked about Redline's viscosity on this site and that's the answer i got.

Thanks for the tire tip. I hadn't thougth of but your mentioning it reminds me of an article on trucks where they showed how the over sized mudder tires really hammered the gas mileage. This car actually has run flats which probably are pretty heavy. I look forward to getting lighter ones as soon as these are a bit more worn.

If you want UHP tires, I recently switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (used mostly PS2s and PZeros before), and they are significantly better in every way, even treadlife is 30%+ better despite the better traction. Highly recommend!

Have now had the Redline 0W-30 in for awhile. I think it drives peppier than with the Mini-branded oil. Haven't had a chance to test gas mileage yet as wife drives car almost all the time. It's not a huge difference, but I do notice it. Am glad I finally switched.

Actually have not heard of anyone using dino oil in a Mini because the maintenance schedule is based on a synthetic that meets A3/B3 as well as BMW LL standards. If one is only going to change the oil once a year, I think the $5 or so per quart difference for a quality synthetic is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back