Which cabin filters have the most effective media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, which cabin filter brand have you found has the best filtering capabilities ie highest efficiency with the smallest micron sizes?

As is the case with home filters, it's hard to find comparable information on actual filtering ability.

Thanks!

i like the wix/napa gold variety,they always fit without hassle and appear to be the maker of several oem cabin filters.

My question was specifically about filtering effectiveness not fit. I'm wondering if anybody has some actual proof that a particular brand has consistently better filtering media.

I would say OEM for oil and air filter, but for a cabin filter, I am willing to take a chance on the best filtering media.

Thanks!

Honestly have found little or no difference between OEM's from Honda and Nissan, and aftermarket like Purolator BreatheEasy from AAP. When I've removed the factory CAF from above makes and replaced with Purolator, couldn't tell a difference in fit or quality.

The Fram CAF have a charcoal layer, but I have read that some experience a restriction of flow with those filters. Can't say if that's true, as I've never used them.

But imo, for what they are, their price is a rip off.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Honestly have found little or no difference between OEM's from Honda and Nissan, and aftermarket like Purolator BreatheEasy from AAP. When I've removed the factory CAF from above makes and replaced with Purolator, couldn't tell a difference in fit or quality.

The Fram CAF have a charcoal layer, but I have read that some experience a restriction of flow with those filters. Can't say if that's true, as I've never used them.

But imo, for what they are, their price is a rip off.

I just took advantage of the Purolator rebate and got a Ford & Mercedes filter for $1-$2 each after rebate.

The material in the Mercedes filter is nothing like the original, but it is more like the material I've seen in every other filter.

I have done a lot of research on HVAC filters and the idea of cutting the best of those into shape has merit so long as you can avoid filter bypass.

The size of cabin filter in my E430 is WxLxH: 5"x10"x1.5". If I buy a very good HVAC furnace filters of the size 20"x30", I will be able to make 12 filters, cost per filter is less than $2.

The car needs 2 filters and lasted about 2 years or 30k miles, OEM cabin filters at a MB dealer is $29 for 2, which is about 7 times the cost of self made filter.

IMHO the wix branded are ok.. they supposedly have this spray on it that's supposed to counter odors.
my problem is.. how can that, let alone a charcoal coated filter stop odors from the high flow of air moving thru it.. it's not like the air gets stopped up in the box and is metered through after the charcoal supposedly filters it out.
Same with the ones coated with baking soda..

I actually like the ATP cabin filters, they're built well and to me it's better than having no filter! the crud these things catch is simply amazing!

I used the cut-up furnace filters on my 2003 Civic Hybrid as well. It did not take much time to make and changed them twice a year.

Last edited:
For the cabin filter I buy a Wix filter, take out the OEM and hose it off. When the Wix gets dirty I'll do the same thing with it and put the OEM back in. Oh, I drive a convertible so the cabin filter doesn't do much.
grin.gif

ROD

Originally Posted By: rjacket
My question was specifically about filtering effectiveness not fit. I'm wondering if anybody has some actual proof that a particular brand has consistently better filtering media.

I would say OEM for oil and air filter, but for a cabin filter, I am willing to take a chance on the best filtering media.

Thanks!

Fit is the most important aspect of which is the best. No media is worth anything if air just slips around the filter itself.

I just get the OEM BMW cabin filters with activated charcoal, made by Mann I think. They last a solid 15k, cost $16, and do a great job of filtration throughout the life of the filter.
I get zero dust buildup in my car, and even smells are eliminated effectively. I drive by a flavoring factory and in my Camry you can literally smell it for 6mi all around, but in the Bimmers there is no smell with the windows up.
I would try the furnace filter method, but I would end up spending $40 on a HEPA 99.999% filter which does not seem economical to me? I have allergies to dust, and the cabin filters I use have never triggered them.

(my allergies are bad enough, or at least annoying enough, that I have two filtration systems for my home HVAC, the one by the furnace is the electrostatic precipitation type with a 48"x28"x18" plate sheet and a UV light, with a paper-medium unit for the main air intake that uses those accordian-style very thick filters... My vents are dust free, and my house has at least 80% less dust build up since installed... Totally worth it)

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: rjacket

Thanks!

Fit is the most important aspect of which is the best. No media is worth anything if air just slips around the filter itself.

In general, I agree with your point of view but my car for instance has no cabin air filter. A 'decent' filter self-mounted is FAR better than no filter, even if some unfiltered still passes by.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: nleksan
I just get the OEM BMW cabin filters with activated charcoal, made by Mann I think.

Do they still use the plastic frames?

I got some Mann ones once,and they were all paper and did not fit very well. Now I'm getting NPN charcoal ones. They're a little bit more expensive, but they still use plastic frames and fit like a glove.

We are typically using the Purolator or Fram ones from the local AAP.

I think the Purolater most closely conforms to OEM, and it has the charcoal layer too.

I just installed a Fram charcoal CAF on my Tribute.

One thing that impressed me a lot was the foam 'seal' around where the filter fits into the housing, which makes it snug in perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back