Rain X Wiper Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the Rain X windshield treatment and the wipers I have
that are only One Month old did a chattering in the rain.
Can anyone explain why? Thanks

No, but i can tell you the rainx treatment i did was fantastic, till i used the wiper blades.. looking back it seems like a wash to me.. although i never use rainx on my windshield aanymore, i use it on my helmet visors once in awhile.

Rain X is only good for about a month. The it starts to get gummy. Start with clean clay barred glass, then Rain X every month and you will be fine.

FWIW - Aquapel lasts much longer than Rain X but costs much more.

Yeah it took me quite a while but finally called rainx and found out it wasnt the blades. You want to clean the windsheild with a good non-amonia glass cleaner and preferrably waffle weave microfibe towels which make a night and day difference. Then go either Glass science This will make a huge difference. If you get too much rain x in one spot and miss another it will cause wiper chatter due to the uneven coating.

RainX also sells a glass scrub and polish. It even works to quickly polish headlights by hand... I bought a bottle of it at walmart. Works good to get the windshield nice and clean before you apply the rainx repellent.

My experience with Rain-X on the windshield is...Don't get any R-X on your wipers themselves as it will dry the rubber quickly and make them chatter.

Also, DO NOT clean your wiper blades with those alcohol packets provided with your new wipers...Disgard them ASAP as alcohol dries rubber wiper blades even if it clean them well. Use Ammonia on the wiper blades on a paper towel or just wash the blades(and get off the grit) with your favorite car wash soap while your washing your vehicle

Everybody has their own method...Using Rain-X as directed calls for applying to your windshield, let dry and remove...Wheather you let the R-X dry or just keep rubbing til it drys, it doesn't matter!

Anyway, this drying causes a smearing effect of the R-X which is what I find hard to remove PROPERLY. Then, whatever is remaining on the glass, gets on the wiper blade rubber, causing them to dry and become more brittle and chatter over the glass.

What I do when applying R-X to my glass is:

1st, clean the windshield with your favorite cleaner or car wash soap and dry the glass with the wiper blades in the UP position. Applying product dry on the windshield will cause etching over time. So, use lots of water, soap, cleaner, whatever! Do it WET!

2nd, apply R-X to the(DRIED) glass liberaly and let dry while you do other things to the vehicle such as vacuum clean or tires/wheels.

3rd, only then do I start washing the vehicle cleaning the wheels and tires(with their own sponge/bucket) then moving to the vehicle at the top and working downward.

4th, remove the R-X from the windshield during your normal carwashing, When you dry your car/vehicle, the glass will shine nicely/cleanly while still having the benefits of RAIN-X.

This way, I can remove the R-X without killing myself trying to remove the smearing effect that the R-X leaves on the glass.

You'll still leave enough R-X on the glass to do it's job for that 3-4 weeks or less and not get any R-X on the wiper blades.

This sounds like alot but, it's not! It's just doing the job in a different order.

Last edited:
Char Baby,

You've posted those directions before and I've followed them. They really work. It's what I do now for all my vehicles. The only thing I add to it is I clay my windshield and sometimes hit it with my machine with polish as well to prep the surface.

For wipers, I use a rag with silicone and wipe the rubber on the wiper blades. Seems to keep them pliable and last longer.

I ditched Rain-X years ago - except for the additive for the washer bottle. That seems to work well in the wet NW winters where it can rain for weeks on end and prevent you from applying a glass treatment[I don't have a garage].

But, in the summer and when it IS dry, I use Castrol's AccuVision repellant. Goes on easier, and lasts longer without the streaking of Rain-X, and no chatter.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Char Baby,

You've posted those directions before and I've followed them. They really work. It's what I do now for all my vehicles. The only thing I add to it is I clay my windshield and sometimes hit it with my machine with polish as well to prep the surface.

For wipers, I use a rag with silicone and wipe the rubber on the wiper blades. Seems to keep them pliable and last longer.

Thanks Bigmike!
I do have a Clay Bar and I will have to try this.

Do you use anything "special" while Claying the windshield(soapy water or detail spray)?

What type of silicone do you use on the wiper blades(silicone spray lube or silicone tire/dash dressing)? I have both. I'm thinking that you mean, Silicone Spray Lube, used for squeeky door hinges/sliding glass door tracks etc.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
I ditched Rain-X years ago - except for the additive for the washer bottle. That seems to work well in the wet NW winters where it can rain for weeks on end and prevent you from applying a glass treatment[I don't have a garage].

But, in the summer and when it IS dry, I use Castrol's AccuVision repellant. Goes on easier, and lasts longer without the streaking of Rain-X, and no chatter.

I am getting low on my supply of Rain-X Windshield Treatment(only a few oz. remaining) I'll look for the Castrol AccuVision.

I am not a fan of the Orange Rain-X Windshield Washer Fluid, as it leaves quite a haze on the glass and can become horid while night driving during the rain. And I have enough trouble seeing at night these days and am trying to do less and less night driving as the years roll on.

For regular windshield washer, I like the normal Blue(anybrand) and the Yellow Prestone (-34 deg F) for the winter, as neither leave a haze on the glass. My family agrees!

Has anyone here tried...AquaPel? I see it in catalogs for around $8 + shipping and have not seen it localy. It's supposed to be a single treatment(one vehicle) that last "UP TO" 6 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigmike
You've posted those directions before and I've followed them. They really work.

I've been doing it basically the same way as he has been since Rain-X first became available here. It works wonders when done right. I have a couple minor modifications, such as I do the glass after I wash the car (I'm very finicky about my glass), and just wash the glass as a separate, final step.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Thanks Bigmike!
I do have a Clay Bar and I will have to try this.

Do you use anything "special" while Claying the windshield(soapy water or detail spray)?

Nothing special. I clay the car right after washing, so car wash soap and clean water is all I use.

And yes, silicone spray is what I meant. I use it for alot of things, like the rubber around side windows. It just helps things stay pliable and not dried out.

I've used AquaPel many times over the years. I offer it as an option to my detailing customers. While the effect of AquaPel is similar to R-X, the product is very different. So is the application.

AquaPel is a fluorocarbon resin which bonds to your glass. It will hold up for months. R-X is basically silicone and alcohol. While it does its job, it's not meant to last a long time on glass.

AquaPel doesn't have the same hyper-beading effect as R-X but its durability makes it the best water repellant for glass that I know of. There are some newer glass treatments on the market but I haven't tried them personally.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
I've used AquaPel many times over the years. I offer it as an option to my detailing customers. While the effect of AquaPel is similar to R-X, the product is very different. So is the application.

AquaPel is a fluorocarbon resin which bonds to your glass. It will hold up for months. R-X is basically silicone and alcohol. While it does its job, it's not meant to last a long time on glass.

AquaPel doesn't have the same hyper-beading effect as R-X but its durability makes it the best water repellant for glass that I know of. There are some newer glass treatments on the market but I haven't tried them personally.

Thanks for that! Good info as well. I have tried other/similar windshield treatments for less money and have been completely dissatisfied with them. Waste of money as they just didn't work well.

I too have offered the R-X as a no cost option on customers vehicles. But, I always asked first as there are some folks that just don't like the R-X on the glass due the rainbow effect on the windshield in the rain, at night with oncoming headlights...I agree but still use it for our cars. Mainly because I like everything else about the R-X.

Until I find something better, I'll probably stay with the R-X. I have heard that a sliced open Potato rubbed over the glass will have the same effect as R-X on the glass. I may try it one day just for S&G's

Last edited:
I agree on the Rain-X washer fluid. I do not like it either. I use the cheap blue stuff on sale, and add this:

http://www.amazon.com/RAIN-X-WASHER-FLUID-ADDITIVE-16-9-OZ/dp/B000BPTVTK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And I switched to Bosch Evolution wiper blades.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I am not a fan of the Orange Rain-X Windshield Washer Fluid, as it leaves quite a haze on the glass and can become horid while night driving during the rain. And I have enough trouble seeing at night these days and am trying to do less and less night driving as the years roll on.

For regular windshield washer, I like the normal Blue(anybrand) and the Yellow Prestone (-34 deg F) for the winter, as neither leave a haze on the glass. My family agrees!

Has anyone here tried...AquaPel? I see it in catalogs for around $8 + shipping and have not seen it localy. It's supposed to be a single treatment(one vehicle) that last "UP TO" 6 months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back