Changing the fuel filter. Need to depressurize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about changing my fuel filter. Looks easy enough but the Haynes manual says I need to depressurize my fuel system by unpluging the fuel pump and starting the car. This involves removing the back seat! Is there an easier way? Maybe just clamp a hemostat on the tube going to the filter?

Find the fuel pump fuse. Im sure that is what it meant. In my car I remove the fuel pump relay while it is running and it stalls after a few seconds. Then I crank it for about 10 seconds to finish it off.

Yeah, fuse or relay will be an easy find. Pull it, crank it, enjoy it stumbling and stalling, pressure gone.

i didn't do that in my mercury colony park. spilled a little gas but fuel filter change was very easy and car started up once fuel got thru new filter

On some cars it'll give you a check engine light. To avoid this I put a pan under the filter look the other way and disconnect the line. Very uneventful.

Not really. You will need a rag to wipe up a little fuel though.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: joaks
I was thinking about changing my fuel filter. Looks easy enough but

When changing a fuel filter, just remember NOT to use an incandescent trouble light working underneath your car. Just a couple drops of gasoline can hit your bulb, pop it, and you instantly have a gasoline-fueled fire that is out of control.

If I remember correctly, my two late 90's Grand Prix's with the 3800 Series II engines had a Schrader valve that I could depress and relieve the pressure. I used a rag to catch the small amount of gas that came out of the valve. Then, we removing the fuel filter, while a small amount of gas flowed from the lines, there was no burst or spray to worry about. Not sure if your vehicle has anything like that.

Originally Posted By: Caliberguy
i didn't do that in my mercury colony park. spilled a little gas but fuel filter change was very easy and car started up once fuel got thru new filter

Chilton's book for my old Dakota went on about depressurizing. I didn't and about 3 drops of fuel came out. Ooh, big deal.

John

I have changed a few fuel filters and NEVER did the depressurization routine. But.... you must NOT try it right after you shut down the engine. I always waited overnight and they depressurize over time. I can't guarentee that will work for you though so BE CAREFUL and WEAR EYE PROTECTION (should anyway). You WILL get a lot of fuel that drains out the lines and filter so it is a messy job that I prefer to leave with the shop, but you know how that goes, a $15 filter becomes a $75 job parts and labor.

Could go either way. I have depressurized vehicles by unplugging the pump (when accessible). I've never removed the fuse to depressurize but I have to disable injection while compression testing, and that would be the easiest way to do it if you can find which fuse. Although to be honest I've had the same uneventful experience as other posters when not depressurized at all. It probably depends on the vehicle but IME after it's sat for a while the pressure is pretty much gone anyway. I've had more fuel accidentally spill out of the filter itself than out of the lines, generally.

On fords they have a fuel shut off system, where if the car is hit it disables the fuel pump. Not sure if subaru uses a similar bit of tech, but if they do there should be a hole in the trunk with a button, or somewhere in the cabin, that says emerency fuel shut off. on my 2003 sable, to disable the fuel pump, it was as easy as disconnecting that button, and starting it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back