Best ATF for Aisin Warner transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, I am new to the forum and have my first question. I have an 05 Equinox with the AW-55 Aisin Warner transmission. I am curious what the best combo would be for a drain and fill? I plan on using lubeguard red but want to know the best fluid for this.

Also, does anybody know an easy way to fill on this vehicle? The dipstick is pretty well hidden next to the transmission mount and is hard to reach. Thanks in advance!

AW 55 is in my Volvos...needs a JWS-3309 fluid. Cheapest option is Toyota T-IV. Mobil 3309 also works but you'll have to mail order that most likely.

Lots of fluids claim to be good for JWS 3309, but they also claim to meet a competing set of specs...I would stick with the fluid choices that meet only the JWS-3309...not the universal types...

Fill through the dipstick or as directed by the FSM...don't ever undo any bolts on a transmission unless it's referenced in the FSM. The B4 band anchor bolt on top of the AW 55 has been listed in some aftermarket manuals as a fill point on this transmission...
And sure...you can put fluid in there...and that fluid will take you to the rebuilder....because loosening that bolt disconnects the B4 band and with it, 3rd gear...

Check the specs in your owner's manual and on the dipstick. Early AW trannies used DEx II or Dex III, the ones from your era most likely used Toyota T-IV/JWS-3309, and there are many currently using Toyota WS (though I suspect if a current AW tranny is in a non Toyota vehicle, they are probably still spec'd for JWS-3309).

Good call weebl...

and in re-reading the post, I would not use lubegard...this is a slip-controlled lock-up transmission...lubegard is going to change the friction properties of the fluid...and I doubt it's the same as JWS-3309 with the LG in it...

Thanks guys for the quick responses! I currently have Mobil 3309 in there. I bought a case online and had a trusted mechanic do a machine flush and fill (no cleaners or modifiers, just straight fluid.) The transmission has always shifted pretty hard, especially when it is cold. Even after the Mobil. I was hoping the lubegard would help this but it sounds like it may cause more damage then good.

p.s. Astro14, I want to thank you for the what you do for our country. I have nothing but respect for our members of the armed services.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Good call weebl...

and in re-reading the post, I would not use lubegard...this is a slip-controlled lock-up transmission...lubegard is going to change the friction properties of the fluid...and I doubt it's the same as JWS-3309 with the LG in it...

Lubegard RED doesn't change the frictional properties of the ATF.
I added LG Red (and a Magnafine inline filter) when I changed the Toyota T-IV in my Corolla and there have been no adverse effects. Lubegard Red improves the ATF's ability to fight heat and will only improve your ATF. It may not be needed in a full synthetic ATF which T-IV is not....

Thanks very much
34.gif

but that has little to do with my modest oil credibility...that comes solely from a few busted knuckles over the years...

Cheers!
Astro

Hmm...interesting...I added LG Red to my 4Runner's DEX III and thought I read that on the product itself...so, is it LG Platinum that modifies the friction properties?

Or am I just remembering this all wrong?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Hmm...interesting...I added LG Red to my 4Runner's DEX III and thought I read that on the product itself...so, is it LG Platinum that modifies the friction properties?

Or am I just remembering this all wrong?

LG Red is ONLY an ATF Protectant and can be used with any ATF except Ford Type F and CVTs...I'm reading from the bottle of RED as I am writing this!

I don't have the other bottles on hand...The others LG's (HFM, Plat, etc.) I believe, are to convert one ATF to another by well...modifing the friction! So, I guess that the others are all FM's used by tranny shops to reduce the amount of MFG Specific ATF that the shops have to keep on their shelves.

I believe that this was LG's sales pitch to the tranny shops years ago as well as the private owners of vehicles that didn't want to pay dealer prices for the MFG Specific ATF.

Now, there are so many Multi Vehicle ATF's on the market at competative prices and so close to the dealer prices for the MFG Spec ATF that, unless your dealer is ripping off the customers on the prices, most folks can buy the correct MFG ATF.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. I am going to check this weekend with my local GM dealer and see their price for their T-IV (GM 88900925) and my local Toyota dealer. If they are both expensive I will plan on buying another case of Mobil 3309 and have my mechanic flush and fill and include the Lubeguard Red.

Do it yourself via cooler line method and you can afford Amsoil ATF. Its easier than you think. And no additives needed. Your mechanic has to pay for his flush machine. Your "flush machine" is 3 feet of clear 3/8" tubing, under $1.00 at Home depot. And reusable. Look on YouTube.

The price really isn't an issue for me. I'd rather buy what's best for my car. The issue with a cooler line flush for me is that I don't have easy access to the filler tube or dipstick. It's wedged next to the transmission mount and radiator. Otherwise I would flush it myself. Is there any way I could have a a container of fresh fluid in the recieving cooler line and an empty container for the used fluid in the other?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Do it yourself via cooler line method and you can afford Amsoil ATF. Its easier than you think. And no additives needed. Your mechanic has to pay for his flush machine. Your "flush machine" is 3 feet of clear 3/8" tubing, under $1.00 at Home depot. And reusable. Look on YouTube.

Some of the AW trannys require a mineral base oil and not a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
The price really isn't an issue for me. I'd rather buy what's best for my car. The issue with a cooler line flush for me is that I don't have easy access to the filler tube or dipstick. It's wedged next to the transmission mount and radiator. Otherwise I would flush it myself. Is there any way I could have a a container of fresh fluid in the recieving cooler line and an empty container for the used fluid in the other?

Are you checking the ATF level with the dipstick?

You can get one those funnels with the tube attached. I think I've seen them at Wallys.

That is where the issue lies. If you read Astro14's response he is spot on. The "dipstick" is actually a plug that is attached to a metal sleeve with a bolt on it. You need to loosen the bolt to gain access to the dipstick and run the risk of losing the B4 anchor band. Plus the dipstick is wedged under the battery and on top of the transmission mount. It's a PITA to even find the bolt let alone taking a wrench to it for a proper fill. It sounds like a mechanical flush is the only real way I can get the fluid exchanged in this machine.

Asin Warner AWTF-80 SC aka AWF21 and other numbers
This is a 6 speed Transverse mounted AT....not to be confused with the 5 speed that DOES specify the 3309 fluid.

A coworker just went through this for his 2006 Volvo XC90 with the 6 speed auto.
FIRST, he found that there was a TSB for a re-program of the computer.....which helped his shifting issue.

Then, he tried the 3309 fluid.....was not happy with the shifting.

The Amsoil website refers him to VOLVO fluid, though it does mention JWS-3309.

The Mobil website states that their 3309 fluid DOES meet Toyota T-IV specification and is for his vehicle with the 5 speed, but does NOT list the 6 speed.

The fluid mentioned for the AWF21 transmission is a "AW-1" fluid.
This is a "mineral base" fluid.
I believe that the Mobil ATF 3309 is also "Mineral base" fluid.

I read some posts where people state that they had success with the 3309 fluid in this application (same tranny, different vehicle), but it is NOT what is specified for this application.

I'm also trusting Mobil and Amsoil for not listing this application for their fluids.

He had not yet put the Volvo fluid in, so I don't have any follow-up on that.
I'm just trying to be clear on the OEM specification....which I stress as the starting point in seeking a fluid.
Folks success with using various brands/fluids for the T-IV and 3309 specified applications may not be applicable to this application (I'm not one to state either way...only that I did not see a manufacturers statement or the several fluids that I looked up listing this application for their fluid)

Exactly right. Pablo note here as well. Your Amsoil specifically says only mineral so no app for them.

The Aisin 5 speed is JS3309, or some people have used the T-IV with success but I'm skeptical.

And I also have the Aisin 6 speed TF 80, AF20, AF21, etc. in my Saab. The requirement is an "AW 1" spec. Seems only the Saab oem fluid meets that spec and that Saab fluid is different from the 5 speed fluid.
Pretty strange scenario with this 6 speed. These Aisin 6 speeds had valve body issues their first couple of years--unfortunately I know this first hand

So in the Volvo use on the oem fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back