Goldwing 1800 Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2004 Goldwing 1800 Trike. I want to use synthetic oil with my next oil change. All previous oil changes have been with Honda approved oil. Any issues with going directly to synthetic oil? Also, what is the mileage interval between oil changes using synthetic oil? Thanks for the Help!

At 1800cc that engine is larger than some small car engines. If the sump is large enough (3.5+ quarts) you should be able to go at least 6,000-8,000 miles pretty easily.

Unless this is a big, heavy trike and you're having to work the engine "hard". What kind of fuel mileage does it get vs. a regular Goldwing?

My brother uses Shell Rotella T6 5/40 synthetic oil in his Goldwing. He has had a Goldwing since '78 and he has never had one that did not go well over 100k miles. His '03 has around 140k miles and going strong with very little oil use between oil changes.

ROD

Despite being a mildly tuned, (relatively) low revving engine, the Wing still has a shared sump so the clutch and gears will inevitably shear the oil over time. Your bike, you decide, but given the latter, I personally wouldn't be extending my OCI's into the 8-10K region.....

Honda GL1800 has a recommended change interval of 8000 miles using regular oil, so 8-10K using a good synthetic is pretty easy to imagine being no big problem.

Without a UOA you just don't know if the oil is good to go 8 to 10k miles. Get a UOA and adjust the mileage on how the used oil sample looks. Just for the peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back