Oil Filter Change Interval ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leading synthetic oil makers (SOPUS , Mobil / Exxon) claim 10K OCI's - but are the oil filters in jeopardy with a 10K mile change interval ? The opinion of my mechanic on the topic is that he : "Believes even in a well maintained engine using synthetic oil - 6,000 - 7500 miles is about all he would want to see using a top tier oil filter (M1 , Pureone , Bosch D+ , etc.) due to potential flow restriction , clogged filters , etc. What are your thoughts on the subject ?

There is very little to filter in a healthy engine, I use second tier filters for a full year up to 13-15k miles in my LS400. I started using cartridge filter in my E430 for 1.5-2 OCI of 12-13k miles or 1 year, when I changed the cartridge filter in my E430 after 1 year/12-13k miles I didn't anything on the filter.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
"Believes even in a well maintained engine using synthetic oil - 6,000 - 7500 miles is about all he would want to see using a top tier oil filter (M1 , Pureone , Bosch D+ , etc.) due to potential flow restriction , clogged filters , etc.

He seems to be contradicting himself. If it's a well maintained engine, then why would the filter be getting clogged?

Aside from that, I guess he's just making a safe generalization here. This will surely not hurt any engine, but neither will a 3K OCI. And it'll help ensure he gets more business.

Depending on specific engine and filter design, it may be possible to go quite a bit longer than 6-7K miles on one filter.

Wouldn't it be great if cars could tell us when a filter has gone into bypass even when the oil is at operating temp?

In any case, the filter manufacturers make everything with tolerances in mind. So if a filter says it will go 10k or 15k, and the manufacturer specifies an oci of that amount, you can assume that the oil filter will be ok, unless you have an exceptional case eg a lot of sludge that is getting cleaned out or an issue with your air filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
"Believes even in a well maintained engine using synthetic oil - 6,000 - 7500 miles is about all he would want to see using a top tier oil filter (M1 , Pureone , Bosch D+ , etc.) due to potential flow restriction , clogged filters , etc.

He seems to be contradicting himself. If it's a well maintained engine, then why would the filter be getting clogged?

Exactly ... a well maintained engine, especially if it always had full synthetic, will remain very clean inside and the filter will not get clogged enough to go into bypass ... even in 10K miles if using a top tier filter.

Here's my experience. If your engine is clean to start with then 15K OCIs are fine if the oil is up to it. A friend has a 03 Windstar 3.8(155K) and does 15K OCIs with M1 5-30EP with the one filter. We have cut open a filter(M1) and found it to be very clean with no sludge or grit that would be noticeable. I have done 10K OCIs on one filter for decades with no problems at all.

There has been many studies that even if you had no filter or most likely the case a clogged filter it would not be that detrimental to engine life, the way I look at it the oil filter is another safe guard along with your motor oil to keep your engine clean and protected. There have been many a instance where a owner has/will use a Fram "orange can of death" for 5-15K OCI's and the engine will not fail before the body does. The oil filter is a important part of a vehicles lubricating system but much like most things on here we over think to point. My point is unless the filter collapses on itself or is on a sludge bucket it will handle a 10K OCI.

When you stomp on your car does the filter go into bypass? Anyone with an OP gauge have a look, max for most filters is 14PSI

I doubt the filter manufacturers would go through the trouble of producing filters with synthetic media for no reason.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
When you stomp on your car does the filter go into bypass? Anyone with an OP gauge have a look, max for most filters is 14 PSI

The oil pressure gauge in cars doesn't measure the PSID across the filter, which is the pressure differential that a bypass valve opens up (14 psi in your example above). The OP gauge measures the oil pressure between the filter and engine oiling system.

With hot oil, if the filter is not loaded up with crud, it would be very hard to get the filter to go into bypass.

Here's an example of only a 5 PSID with 12 GPM of hot oil flow - and 12 GPM is a huge amount of flow volume. Most cars on the road can't produce that kind of flow, but produce much less which would make the filter PSID even less than 5, and give even more headroom before the bypass valve would ever open.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The oil filter is a important part of a vehicles lubricating system but much like most things on here we over think to point.

Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
When you stomp on your car does the filter go into bypass? Anyone with an OP gauge have a look, max for most filters is 14 PSI

The oil pressure gauge in cars doesn't measure the PSID across the filter, which is the pressure differential that a bypass valve opens up (14 psi in your example above). The OP gauge measures the oil pressure between the filter and engine oiling system.

With hot oil, if the filter is not loaded up with crud, it would be very hard to get the filter to go into bypass.

Here's an example of only a 5 PSID with 12 GPM of hot oil flow - and 12 GPM is a huge amount of flow volume. Most cars on the road can't produce that kind of flow, but produce much less which would make the filter PSID even less than 5, and give even more headroom before the bypass valve would ever open.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Thanks. There is an oil filter comparison test that actually tests real oil flow through the media. I can't find it anymore.

In defense to the mechanic - he made the generalizations based on : 1) Cars with no OLM and 2 ) Car owners who fail to take time into an OCI consideration ...his shop sits on an ATL highway where traffic just crawls the majority of the day ...your mileage may vary .

I go by what Honda says for my '06 S2000 and change the oil filter every other oil change(but I do run a oversize filter). Which is about 15k miles.

ROD

Last edited:
I believe Ford changed the OCI intervals to 10,000 miles in recent years. This is based upon using their Motorcraft oil filters, which are good filters but nothing special other than haveing the bypass valve at the inlet side.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I go by what Honda says for my '06 S2000 and change the oil filter every other oil change(but I do run a oversize filter).

And it's important to note that lots of manufacturers of everything from vehicles to farm equipment have recommended filter changes on every other oil change only, and such recommendations have been around for decades. It would seem to me that manufacturers aren't terribly worried about filters clogging prematurely, provided maintenance is done on schedule.

I agree with HTSS_TR, filters in today's modern engines with modern oils are like our appendix!

A few years ago I drove two 12,000 mile OCIs and on one I changed the filter halfway the other kept the same filter for the 12,000 miles. The UOA was the same. IMO Filters cannot capture the small stuff < 10 microns and the engines produce basically nothing large enough to cause damage these days. Just my opinion and my own personal test results. Quality oil and a great flowing (not filtering) filter is my choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back