DEXRON VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
For comparison, the current Amsoil Universal synthetic ATF is formulated @ 7.5 Cst @ 100C.

No word yet on if Amsoil will be formulating a Dexron VI synthetic ATF. It depends entirely on the size of the fluid replacement market, I'd expect.

I could see them formulating in the 6.4-6.8 Cst range and using that as a dual rated fluid. It would not satisfy the "letter of the law", but in terms of transmission performance it would work just fine. They just wouldn't be able to license the stuff....

Tooslick

quote:

Dexron VI specs call for a max visc of 6.4 cST at 100 C. Mercon V call for a min of 6.8.
Impossible to have a one meets all until/unless Ford changes specs in the future.

As I mentioned some time ago, the newer ATF fluids are following the trend of the 5W20 and 0W20 PCMO's. There will be thinner fluids for better economy and cold weather operation, a need for higher stability base fluids, improved organic anti-wear and oxidation inhibitors, and high stability/time/temp friction modifiers.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
It would not satisfy the "letter of the law", but in terms of transmission performance it would work just fine. They just wouldn't be able to license the stuff....

When has that ever stopped Amsoil? They briefly marketed an ATF marked "ATF+4" until Chrysler's legal dept threatened a lawsuit if they didn't stop. And of course, Amsoil's current multi-vehicle ATF is not Dexron, Mercon, or Chrysler licensed.

I would fully expect Amsoil to slap "Dexron VI" on their current fluid without making any substantive changes to the formula.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Oxidation resistance, better Anti-Wear capabilities, and longer oil life are the major drivers with minor friction modification changes as one of the minor drivers.

Which is exactly what happend when Chrysler moved from Type 7176E fluid (ATF+3) to the Type 9602 (ATF+4). The friction modification characteristics of the two fluids are essentially the same (else ATF+4 would not be backwards compatible with the earlier ATF+, ATF+2, and ATF+3 fluids and the transmissions these fluids were spec'd for), with the real difference in ATF+4 being a substantial increase in the useful life of the fluid.

Backwards compatibility is a dead giveaway that the friction modification of a newer fluid is essentially the same as the older fluid(s) it is replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back