Towing with cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've brought this up before. Me and some friends are planning a trip to Mt Washington and another one to Cedar Point in May and June, and we figured it might be cheaper if I got a hitch put on my cruze and we rented a camper trailer from MWR for cheap. The only thing that concerns me again is would my cruze be capable of hauling 5 people, luggage for said 5 people, as well as towing probably 1,000-1,5000lb of camper. I mean obviously performance and mpg are gonna take a hit, but is it even capable of doing that?

5 people, a small trailer and their stuff? I hope they're not porkers. 1.4 - not even 90 cubes. I guess T means turbo? What does the owners manual say? Why not take the Equinox?

Last edited:
I looked up the owners manual for the Cruze, and its saying 1,000lbs max trailer. Thats with just a driver. Additional passengers and cargo has to be subtracted from that. After allowances for 4 other people and their stuff you are going to be right at the limit as is.
You are going to need the Equinox. Its showing 3500lbs trailer cap with a 8,000ish lbs Gross combined. From what Im finding it weighs right at 4,000lbs. So you have 4,000lbs of capacity to play with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
5 people, a small trailer and their stuff? I hope they're not porkers. 1.4 - not even 90 cubes. I guess T means turbo? What does the owners manual say? Why not take the Equinox?

Just take the Equinox and have your porkers pitch in for gas! If you get into a accident a personal injury lawyer will run you thru the mill, if you are even close to GWMR. Besides you will enjoy your trip more and not have to worry as much while your hamsters are getting whipped from towing a camper and 4 porkers in the Cruze.

In Europe, there are tons of small cars, cruze included, that are set up with a towbar and pull trailers. This is on cars that in the USA show towing as "not recommended". The roads are no less safe, more steep, or more treacherous in the USA than in Europe, so IMO it is just a ploy to scare people and drive them to buying other vehicles.

Of course since you cant easily get the tow equipment for many cars, so the point becomes somewhat moot.

My 04 saab is rated at 3500 lb for towing.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In Europe, there are tons of small cars, cruze included, that are set up with a towbar and pull trailers. This is on cars that in the USA show towing as "not recommended". The roads are no less safe, more steep, or more treacherous in the USA than in Europe, so IMO it is just a ploy to scare people and drive them to buying other vehicles.

Of course since you cant easily get the tow equipment for many cars, so the point becomes somewhat moot.

My 04 saab is rated at 3500 lb for towing.

Difference is, in Europe all these cars have manual gearboxes and good old clutches, so as long as the clutch is not on its last legs you can get away with a lot of stuff.

I would not try the same thing with a slushox that was never meant to do any towing and has minimal cooling capacity.

The roads are no less safe, more steep, or more treacherous in the USA than in Europe, so IMO it is just a ploy to scare people and drive them to buying other vehicles.

One difference is European cars typically use at least H-rated tires (and often V or Z), compared with the S- and T-rated tires that USDM cars often use. Inflation pressures also tend to be higher on European cars, and dampers and springs also seem to be stiffer on European cars. I guess us Americans like comfy cars, even if that means a decrease in vehicle capacity.

I was musing about this topic since I see a 4x8 utility trailer in the future. My Cruze is a manual, and the first 3 gears are stump-pullers. The 1.4 turbo engine in my car and Nick's has plenty of low-end grunt, so that's not an issue. I guess it comes down to liability. Over in Europe the drivers may be more careful about not exceeding the total weight capacity, trailer included.

Oh, the OEM tires are V-rated, and it's got the stiffer "sport" suspension as part of the Eco package. I think it would make a decent tow vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The roads are no less safe, more steep, or more treacherous in the USA than in Europe, so IMO it is just a ploy to scare people and drive them to buying other vehicles.

One difference is European cars typically use at least H-rated tires (and often V or Z), compared with the S- and T-rated tires that USDM cars often use. Inflation pressures also tend to be higher on European cars, and dampers and springs also seem to be stiffer on European cars. I guess us Americans like comfy cars, even if that means a decrease in vehicle capacity.

So youre implying that the cruze that I saw pulling a caravan on the E40 in Germany last week has different OE tires/springs/etc than Nick's? Maybe, maybe not. IIRC he has some hotter tires, but may be wrong. Still, plenty of vehicles have different specs/capabilities/requirements based upon configuration. nothing different here. If their stupidity is that severe to not be able to consider requirements and what they can and cannot do with their specific set-up vehicle, they really should be taking the bus and not have a drivers license.

Not sure if the speed rating matters all that much versus load rating.

And in Europe, most all trailers I saw had a sticker on the back showing the max speed they would go, like, say 100 km/hr. Even on the unrestricted autobahns they adhered to this.

Here we think we are entitled to cruise along at 90 MPH on any road, any time, which IMO may be the issue.

Be careful. I tow an 1800 pound camper with my CR-V, and while it is under the 1500 KG (3300 pound) rating the European version has, it's not exactly going to win any drag races with the camper behind it. It still does OK getting onto inclined entrance ramps.

Please look into getting brakes on your camper though. I towed a few times without, and you knew it was back there. When I put brakes on the camper it made a world of difference. You never know when some putz will pull out in front of you and you may have to stop quickly. Just because you can pull it doesn't mean you can tow it safely.

Tow ratings can be mighty interesting though, if you look in the owner's manual for my MG Midget, it is rated to tow 2000 pounds, and no mention of needing trailer brakes. The rating that Honda gives my North American spec CR-V is a maximum of 1500 pounds, with trailer brakes. Needless to say, the MG still falls way short of being a suitable tow vehicle, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Are you saying H and V, etc rated tires have higher load capacity for a given size? They don't, so what does it matter? Higher inflation matters as you say, but not speed rating.

Last edited:
The equinox is unfortunately, not an option. I think her exact words were "If you want to put thousands of miles on cars gallavanting all over the country, you will be doing it on YOUR car". I had already thought of that, but I kind of expected the outcome.

My cruze comes with THESE tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...;autoModClar=LT

S speed rating, B rated for temperature, max load of 1,477lb and I generally keep them inflated to ~38-39psi. I think sciphi's right, I doubt power will be an issue. BUT, when we go to mt washington we WILL be going through on the vermont and NH backroads, which are rather ah, hilly. I was slightly more concerned about the transmission. And then to ohio, which is 500 miles of pure interstate driving each way

Last edited:
There doesn't appear to be a published GCVWR for the cruze unsurprisingly. The Rear GAWR is a bit over 2,000lb. The camper will probably be one of those collapsible ones, with a low center of gravity so I can't imagine it would put that much load on the rear axle.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Are you saying H and V, etc rated tires have higher load capacity for a given size? They don't, so what does it matter? Higher inflation matters as you say, but not speed rating.

I didn't say that they have a higher load capacity. What they generally do have is more robust construction (and lower failure rates) and the highest ("A") rating for temperature. Both of these would generally be advantageous when towing.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
There doesn't appear to be a published GCVWR for the cruze unsurprisingly. The Rear GAWR is a bit over 2,000lb. The camper will probably be one of those collapsible ones, with a low center of gravity so I can't imagine it would put that much load on the rear axle.

What is the GVWR on your tire placard? There should be a total weight rating.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The equinox is unfortunately, not an option. I think her exact words were "If you want to put thousands of miles on cars gallavanting all over the country, you will be doing it on YOUR car". I had already thought of that, but I kind of expected the outcome.

My cruze comes with THESE tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...;autoModClar=LT

S speed rating, B rated for temperature, max load of 1,477lb and I generally keep them inflated to ~38-39psi. I think sciphi's right, I doubt power will be an issue. BUT, when we go to mt washington we WILL be going through on the vermont and NH backroads, which are rather ah, hilly. I was slightly more concerned about the transmission. And then to ohio, which is 500 miles of pure interstate driving each way

Can you manually hold a gear with your auto? Like 4th or 3rd? And does the torque converter lock in those gears? If you can't find out for sure then I wouldn't try the trailer alone for any real distances at interstate speeds. I've towed far too much on the interstate and I spent alot of time in 4th and more than you would think in 3rd (3800 rpm @55mph)with the Tracker. Think long steady grades into 30mph headwinds...
Adding the 4 buddies and gear is too much even for my level of disrespect for tow ratings... One of those guys will have to atleast take all the passengers and stuff in another car. You are going to have your hands full driving the car and keeping tabs on how its doing as well, so you don't need any distractions...
When we went gallavanting across the country at your age, we tented it, which made the drive enjoyable and stress free and cheap with 40mpg tanks and tent sites. Get a Eureka tent or something decent, a good air matress and sleeping bag. That's what I would do again anyways.

I wouldn't even consider this. If you must tow rent something that can tow it. Otherwise, Motel6 will keep the light on for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back