2012 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 TFSI Oil recommendation:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have learned a lot regarding oil from this forum along with the multiple Audi forums. However, the more I read the more confused I get. I have a brand new Audi that I want to keep in top condition.
I live in Tennessee where it is in the 90's more often than it is below freezing(Audi stored in warm garage).
My driving is 10 miles each way to work - city/hwy combination. Weekends are driven with more enthusiasm as the winding TN country hills provide an excellent racetrack!! However, I do not often get above 7k rpm's.

I understand the VW 502.00 requirement. However, what would you use in my situation?? My OCI will likely be every 5K miles. I am not limited by availability as I use the internet to purchase oil and I'll be doing the changes myself.

I am thinking of choosing between:

M1 0W-40
Lubro-Moly Synthoil premium 5W-40
Lubro-Moly Synthoil Energy 0W-40
Total quartz 9000 energy 5w40
motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40
German Castrol 0W-30 (but i'm not sure i'm comfortable running a 30 weight with the Tennessee heat)

Considering my Audi engine, OCI and driving habits does it really matter if the oil is class III or IV/V(People on the Audi forums get very fired up about this)??

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.
Thank you,

ingraha3

A lot of the Audi folks like the Motul 8100 X-cess due to its ability to quiet down noisy valvetrains.

You still can't beat M1 0w40 for availability, price, and performance in my opinion. Great value.

I'm not sure how well any of those oils handle the high fuel dilution that direct-inject motor is likely to cause. Renwable Lube does have that special 5w40 they developed for the RS4 motors that were dumping lots of fuel into the oil and getting rapid carbon buildup.

BTW, the Audi guys also seem to like Lubro-Moly products but I don't think they're worth the price premium. Oil analyses have never looked any better than off-the-shelf products and the specifications are unremarkable. I ran the Synthoil 5w40 and it did not impress me after 5k.

The Energy 0w40 is fairly similar to M1 0w40 with its specs but still costs more and is not API SN.

M1 0W40 and GC 0W30 are very similar in viscosity - both would be a good choice for your car. I don't see a reason to pay a premium for the other choices you've listed, unless you want to be able to brag about how much you spent on oil to all of your Audi buddies.

I would choose the one that you can get easily/cheaply. Make sure it meets your spec. I like the M1 0W40 because I can get a good deal at my local AAP. I am more proud of how little I paid for equal quality, not how much I paid...

(edit: I've run over 30K on M1 0W40 in the T5 with a great UOA, it's a great oil...but I got the current fill of M1 5W40 TDT for $0.98/QT...that's right, less than a dollar...beats buying all that expensive boutique stuff...)

Last edited:
I bought not long time ago CC with that engine.
My first oil change was M1 0W40. The oil that was in before was Castrol SLX 5W30. Big difference, especially in reduction of noise. Also, with Castrol I could smell gas dilution, with M1 I am still waiting for gas to strat to smell, but nothing yet.
I would go either with M1 or GC!
Both are great oils, great availability and considering M1 is available in Wal Mart for around $6.80, you cannot beat that.

Now both of those oils are Group IV.
People get fired up for no reason. What are your driving habits? I am from europe, and I am 7yrs in the US and I am yet to see more abuse of engine/brakes/tires then on fast european roads. Pennzoil 5W40 is group III, but in Europe, old Shell Helix 5W40, which is Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 here, was one of the most respected oils.
I was often traveling in Germany and sometimes I would drive 2-3hrs keeping engine above 4000 rpms, and guess what? Noooo any issues ever.
Here on these roads with these speed limits, those engines could go 500,000 miles like nothing if you maintaine them they way they deserve!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ingraha3
I have learned a lot regarding oil from this forum along with the multiple Audi forums. However, the more I read the more confused I get. I have a brand new Audi that I want to keep in top condition.
I live in Tennessee where it is in the 90's more often than it is below freezing(Audi stored in warm garage).
My driving is 10 miles each way to work - city/hwy combination. Weekends are driven with more enthusiasm as the winding TN country hills provide an excellent racetrack!! However, I do not often get above 7k rpm's.

I understand the VW 502.00 requirement. However, what would you use in my situation?? My OCI will likely be every 5K miles. I am not limited by availability as I use the internet to purchase oil and I'll be doing the changes myself.

I personally use Shell Rotella T6 5w40, in my 2.0T.

Do you want personal reassurance that you'll maintain a warranty? Yes = use VW502.00. No = use other oils.

One of the things you'll be faced with is the intake buildup. Low-SAPs oils will slow (not eliminate) the buildup.... which AFAIK, are primarily Group III based oils. However, Low-SAPs oils for passenger car use, don't have enough TBN for my liking..

Appropriate 30 weight. You don't have high heat on a 10 mile leisure commute. 40w will just hurt mpg. Use a low saps with your OCI. some worry about TBN but it is known that TBN numbers given on UOAs of Low-Saps are probably understated due to the different type of additives used in these oils.

welcome2.gif

Don't waste your money on the Euro made oils. They're plenty of good US made oils that meet the VW 502.00 spec for a lot less.

Mobil 1 0W-40
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40
Kendall Euro 5W-40
Chevron Euro 5W-40.

You won't notice a difference between running a Group III oil to a group IV oil.You can get a 12 quart case of Kendall shipped to your door for $6.01 a quart.

Kendall Euro 5W-40

I guess I don't really understand why most of the VW 502.00 oils are 5W-40 if 0W-40 provides better start up protection.

Thanks for any input.

I have a 2.7 twin turbo and recently switched to 0-40 M1. From what I have read.. it is the best choice. Gripes are you should change it 5k or under. I used to use catrol syntech 5-40. Not impressed...I like the cold start up protection from the 0-40.

Originally Posted By: Hockeypuck
I have a 2.7 twin turbo and recently switched to 0-40 M1. From what I have read.. it is the best choice. Gripes are you should change it 5k or under. I used to use catrol syntech 5-40. Not impressed...I like the cold start up protection from the 0-40.

The M1 0W40 actually lasts quite long. I ran it up to 17,000 mi. on my Saab V6 turbo with a good TBN still. Wear was also good.

I guess I don't really understand why most of the VW 502.00 oils are 5W-40 if 0W-40 provides better start up protection.

Thanks for any input.
I will opine that it's because outside of extremely cold temps the real world difference is marginal. Cost is another.

Thanks for any input.

Because 502.00 is a range of requirements that oils need to meet.
5W40 is generally more available in Europe, manufacturers from what I saw have preference toward that weight.
You also have bunch of 5W30 and 0W30 oils that meet same requirement.

Originally Posted By: dmk

The M1 0W40 actually lasts quite long. I ran it up to 17,000 mi. on my Saab V6 turbo with a good TBN still. Wear was also good.

Hi All
is M1 0w40 Group4 in Europe please ?, not in Germany , i know it's SHC ?

Originally Posted By: Oub
Originally Posted By: dmk

Hi All

Mobil 1 France says New Life 0w-40. Probably same product which is sold.in Germany.

Originally Posted By: Oub
Hi All

It is not completely Group IV anywhere in the world. The only difference in Germany is that Mobil actually has to say it outright on the label, but it is the same product.

But why does it matter to you? Please don't get hung up on the whole group thing. It means very little nowadays.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

But why does it matter to you? Please don't get hung up on the whole group thing. It means very little nowadays.

it does Pete
wink.gif
, because u pay full synthetic and it's not. any way it's phenomenal oil .
sorry my English is not good as yours
wink.gif

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back