post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2000 Saturn SL2 "Creampuff"
smile.gif

History: 39,580 miles. 38.5k on original trans fluid, drained & filled with Amsoil ATF & new NAPA Gold spin-on.

Today: Drained above & filled with Amsoil ATF + 1 bottle LUBEGARD RED.
thumbsup2.gif

Hyundai Genesis Coupe 6sp manual
To: 2 quarts of Redline Lightweight Shockproof
21900 miles

Much better than OE

2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, w/ 151k of hard miles. I try to change the transmission fluid every 35k or so, though this last one was run for 50k. Transmission works great, never been rebuilt or had any major work done.

Dropped pan, replaced filter. Took 8 quarts to refill, I estimate there's about 4 quarts sitting in places like the torque converter that doesn't drain.

Used Wix filter and Citgo Full Synthetic Dexron VI.

First tranny change for the Outlander, I took it to the dealership where they said they have a new way of draining and filling the tranny. So I let them do it. I was ready for my next change and called them up, but this time I had the service manual in my hand. They said that all they do is drain the pan, then refill. I asked them why they didn't do it like the service manual says, "That's just how we do it." was their reply!

Disconnect cooler line. Put transmission in N and run engine until fluid stops coming out. Pull the plug, drain the pan, put plug back in. Refill tranny & run until fluid comes out rosy pink. Connect your hoses. Re-fill your tranny to correct level.

Burns my rear that Mitusbishi specs DiaQueen ATF-J2 for this transmission and no one makes an equivalent. I have some left over, may send in a VOA just to see what it looks like.

Last edited:
2007 Nissan Titan. Bought the truck and the tranny fluid was a little burnt and has brown black in it that left on my fingers from the stick. It was mostly red so i still felt good about it. Nissan now recommends Matic S fluid so that set me back 120 bucks for 12 quarts. Drained the pan which got me about 5Q, then tapped into the transmission cooler return line for the other 6.5Q. It was messy but the truck shifts much better and 1,000 miles later the fluid is bright red and sweet so I feel I flushed all the bad stuff out.

'77 Buick Riviera 93K: refilled with 1 gallon of Shell Dexron III and 1/2qt Valvoline Max-Life. Used real DexIII from early 2000's.

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4EAT 75,271 miles.
Drained pan and re-filled 3.75 quarts of Subaru ATF-HP.
I do a drain and fill every 15K miles.

00 Chrokee AW4

Last oil change (4500 / 5500 miles ... not sure), drained and filled the transmission pan (about 4 quarts) with walmart DexIII compatible.

1000 miles late, I was sitting at a stoplight on a hill (luckily the hill I live on and above my driveway), the line to the transmision cooler blew off and pumped the transmission dry ... while I was sitting there. Refilled with another gallon jug after coasting down the hill to my driveway.

It's kind of funny sitting at a stoplight and seeing oil running down the hill and trying to figure out what it is ... until you realize that it's your vehicle and your transmission just pumped itself dry.

Last edited:
Im about to do the final drain/fill in my series, bringing it to 12 new qts added over the last couple months.

2007 4 Runner 4x4 V8
54,XXX mi
3qts WS

Car in the signature.

Out with the brown sp3, cleaned sludge off magnetic drain plug.

In went Castrol Transmax High Mileage with some Lubeguard red.

04 Tacoma A340E on FF 107K. filter changed. Flushed with machine we have at my shop.
Filled with 3 quartz of T-IV, 3 quartz of Maxlife and the rest with classic ATF. Bottle of Lubegaurd black.

Originally Posted By: brelandt
04 Tacoma A340E on FF 107K. filter changed. Flushed with machine we have at my shop.
Filled with 3 quartz of T-IV, 3 quartz of Maxlife and the rest with classic ATF. Bottle of Lubegaurd black.
Judas Priest, just toss in whatever then huh?

nope, well researched. all the fluids are T-IV compatible along with the lubeguard black to add the anti friction. Took weeks of reading.

Back