A Few Issues with AEHASS Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pattern on that graph is fairly typical for oils. Once the anti-oxidants get used up the oils thicken rapidly under these test engine conditions.

I do not know how Lube Control works. If you are having a problem with oil thickening you should consider using a different oil. Diesel oils of greater ratings have more oxidation resistance, particularly over gasoline engine oils with little or no diesel specifications.

aehaas

In general I am against the use of oil and fuel additives in properly maintained engines. For dirty engines however, I would use Rislone, AutoRX and LC. The biggest fear is large chucks of deposits coming off at once, otherwise there is a great benefit.

I do not think these products will diminish oxidative thickening of oil.

aehaas

Hi,
rugerman1 - sadly, reading is worthless unless accompanied by understanding!

Regards
Doug
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
I do not think these products will diminish oxidative thickening of oil.

LC will keep dino oil good for a lot longer soley because LC does exactly that. LC is a rare-breed product in that it works so well for it's designed purpose.
cheers.gif

For what it is worth I picked 3-4 15W40,20W50 UOA from vechiles that typicaly recomend 5W20 or 5W30 and brought them back to the top of the UOA section. I thought it would at least make for some good reading as we have a lot of member tht either were not on this site back then or might have forgotten about them. I picked them randomly based on what I thought the OEM recomended and the fact that they were so called "thicker oils"!

quote:

Originally posted by MGBV8:

One of the members of the Ferrari Chat web site went from a 40 to a 30 weight oil in his Ferrari 355 for racing in Texas. He noticed a drop in temperature but no change in oil pressure. This may seem odd but really makes perfect sense. Since the 30 weight oil is thinner he got better flow and therefore better cooling. The oil was at a lower temperature so it was not as thin than it would have been at the previous higher temperature. Cooler engines last longer. Fact: The higher the temperature, the greater the wear, all other things being equal.

That would be me.

But a slight correction is in order, I noticed a great temperature decline from using xW50 oils to xW40 oils (285dF to 260dF) in the summer heat of Texas (100dF to 105dF). When I used a 0W30, the oil tmep went up ever so slightly (265dF).

Moreover, was the idle pressures as the car left the track in a hot condition. With the xW50 oils the idle pressure would be 35 PSI (285dF), and with the xW40 oils the idle pressure would be 45 PSI (260dF).

I wrote the following article about this adventure:
http://www.ferrari-talk.com/discus/messages/5/5001.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back