A Few Issues with AEHASS Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just for discussion mind you not an attack or anyting like that!

In order for his articles to be right we would have to assume a lot of things.

1) All cars use the 10PSI per 1000 Rule in relation ship to oil pressure. Origanal rule was 25-45 PSI at Idle and 10 PSI for every additional 1000 RPMS.

2) All oil pumps have a poor ramp angle and can not handle thick fluids or self prime causeing cavitation and starvation.

3)All engines use the same clearances for pumps,gear and bearings.

4) All oil of like viscosity have the same HTHS or MOFT values.

5) His oil bypass rule is also not uniform in the real world.

6) The Porsche reason for not allowing 0W30 and 0W40 due to mineral VII's v.s. synthetics and droping bellow minimum viscoistys etc...

My take bellow:

1)We already know that Japanesse and Germany engine designs have histroicly followed the oil presure rule of thumb as listed. We also know that most American designs especialy GM have gone the other way and biased towards volume and not pressure and have in many cases ignored the golden rule.

2)If this was the case we would see a lot of oil pump failures. We would have a lot of start up knock and lifter tick. We would see signs of starvation like rod knock,scuffed pistons etc..

3) While clearances have not changed much we do know that their is a variance between manufactures. In some cases enough to warrant a thicker oil. We know that DC had to reclearance the oil pump on the 4.7V8 adn 3.7V6 when they switched from 10W30 to 5W30 as the recomended viscosity.

4) We know that this is not the case at all. We have my classic example of Redline 5W20 with an HTHS of 3.3 while some other 20Wt. oils are between 2.6 and 3.0. We even have some 30Wt. oils that have an HTHS of 3 like M1 0W30 and M1R wich have an HTHS of 2.9! We know that HTHS plays a large role in determining wear rates.

5) My Dodge Dakota did not bypass unti 110PSI even though the redline was around 5500RPM's-6000RPM's. If my memory serves me right bypass on my moms Tundra is 95PSI and I do not belive her truck revs much past 5500 RPM's. My Buick 3.8 will rev to5500 - 6000RPM's and it bypass's at 65PSI. Now understand that just becasue it bypass's at a cetain setting does not mean that the oil pressure will not exceed that psi!

6) Porsche does not recomend any mineral based oils at all. All oils on Porsches approved list are synthetic. It is true that Porsche makes no indication or different recomendation based on weather it is G-III or G-IV and V. We know that even premium synthetic 5W40 have about the same amount of VII's as a dino based 5W30 though. It could be that they are worried about the amounts of VII's that might be used to make a 0W30? We do know that all VII's are not created equaly!

We also know that many engine builders do not recomend high volume oil pumps unless the sump capacity is greatly increased for fear of uncovering the pickup. On the other hand GM Race Shop recomends shimming the stock volume oil pump to increase bypass presure to 95PSI and running a 20W50 oil on HO small blocks build up's.

Now Terry has repeatedly reminded me that we do not always need a liquid plastic to have protection! I agree!! I do think though that when going to either extreme either really thick or really thin one should work their way there with UOA as our guide. This is especialy true if you are going way outside of the recommended viscosity for your vechile! Now I am talking globably not just USA. We seem to get a different set of recomendations then the rest of the world. I also think that we need to concentrate more on the HTHS of the product then the Viscosity. HTHS can vary greatly from one product to the next of the same SAE viscosity.

I think Terry said it best when he recomended you start at 10W30 and work your way up or down from their. Run the thinest oil that UOA shows will work in your application.

For the record I have no problem with 20Wt. oils were they are recomended or where testing has proven them to work. I just have a problem with a blanket statement about 0W oil or blind recomendations with no data or personal experince to back it up. We have no one on this site that has either ran a 20Wt. in a Corvete or done a UOA of any GM engine with a 20Wt. We also have seen email messages from GM recomendeding against running a 20Wt. oil in their products!

It is not the 0W rather the 20Wt. part that has me concerned. I think it is easily accepted that a 0W30,0W40,0w20 can be run any place a 5W/10W-20,30,40Wt. can be run unless specificly not recomended by the OEM.

P.S. I have a 0W30 sample that will be sent in for UOA in march. I am hopeing it turns out well.

Good post John...I can't sleep either..
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Hi,
John - a great post - thank you, I always appreciate your posts!

One small point, you said;

"6) Porsche does not recomend any mineral based oils at all. All oils on Porsches approved list are synthetic. It is true that Porsche makes no indication or different recomendation based on weather it is G-III or G-IV and V. We know that even premium synthetic 5W40 have about the same amount of VII's as a dino based 5W30 though. It could be that they are worried about the amounts of VII's that might be used to make a 0W30? We do know that all VII's are not created equaly!"

John, this may interest you;

Porsche have a minimum specification of a Group 3 synthetic and a number of other test protocols over A3-B3 in order to achieve Porsche Approval
A minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5cSt is required and the extra tests include foaming control and a minimum viscosity at 100C of 11cSt. They have an extended HTHS test protocol (and a special regime at 100C) too suggesting the the VII issue is known to them

Their factory fill is M1 0w-40 (has been for years) and I think Castrol "R" 5w-30 is Porsche Approved!

Their minimum standards are retrospective to 1979 for all engine types

I think AEHaas makes some interesting "noise" it is a shame it is not pleasant music!

Regards
Doug

[ February 23, 2005, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

quote:

4) We know that this is not the case at all. We have my classic example of Redline 5W20 with an HTHS of 3.3 while some other 20Wt. oils are between 2.6 and 3.0. We even have some 30Wt. oils that have an HTHS of 3 like M1 0W30 and M1R wich have an HTHS of 2.9! We know that HTHS plays a large role in determining wear rates.

John, you make excellent points. I agree except I think M1R and 76 NASCAR oil only have a HT/HS of 3.0 for a specific reason. They want the oil to shear a bit for maxium HP. That is what I was told. It's easy to make a 0w-30 have a HT/HS of 3.6 and a 0w-40 with a HT/HS of 4.2. ExxonMobil makes two oils like that, their Esso line 0w-30/40.

In M1R's/76 NASCAR case, boosted additives and new technology probably allow some shearing without sacrifice in engine wear. Hence the lack of API. Other than that, I agree with what your saying. Great post!

BTW, a Germany lab stated that the Mobil 1 0w-40 actually has a HT/HS of 3.9, higher then what was reported.

Volume, flow and the cooling affects can't be ignored either. We've seen many oils with HT/HS of only 2.6 show LESS wear then oils with HT/HS of 4.2>!

quote:

Run the thinest oil that UOA shows will work in your application.

Agree.
cheers.gif

[ February 23, 2005, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

JohnBrowning - 5) My Dodge Dakota did not bypass unti 110PSI even though the redline was around 5500RPM's-6000RPM's. If my memory serves me right bypass on my moms Tundra is 95PSI and I do not belive her truck revs much past 5500 RPM's. My Buick 3.8 will rev to5500 - 6000RPM's and it bypass's at 65PSI. Now understand that just becasue it bypass's at a cetain setting does not mean that the oil pressure will not exceed that psi!

I am getting confused here. Are you saying the bypass valves are malfunctioning?
dunno.gif

quote:

Now understand that just becasue it bypass's at a cetain setting does not mean that the oil pressure will not exceed that psi!

UGLY3...

What he is saying, is that (depending on viscosity), oil pumps sometimes bypass at higher pressures. For example, my Chevy 327 has a standard 45 psi bypass spring installed. If I run 20W-50, it is not uncommon to see oil pressures reach 60 psi or higher. 5W-30 will result in lower pressures.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
We know that DC had to reclearance the oil pump on the 4.7V8 adn 3.7V6 when they switched from 10W30 to 5W30 as the recomended viscosity.

And how do "we" know this to be true?

HTHS must vary depending upon temperature + or - 150c, as well as ester in brew. If thin oil runs cooler and gives same psi in your own car then the thin oil logically provides same viscosity at operating temperature as thick oil. However with thin you can use an oil like 0W to provide additional start up protection, and better quality oil with less improvers. This is normal road use not race. This was illustrated from following extract

One of the members of the Ferrari Chat web site went from a 40 to a 30 weight oil in his Ferrari 355 for racing in Texas. He noticed a drop in temperature but no change in oil pressure. This may seem odd but really makes perfect sense. Since the 30 weight oil is thinner he got better flow and therefore better cooling. The oil was at a lower temperature so it was not as thin than it would have been at the previous higher temperature. Cooler engines last longer. Fact: The higher the temperature, the greater the wear, all other things being equal.

Running Rover V8s in Classic cars, most owners use a 20W50 mineral and have low hot idle pressure compared to my cars using 0W40 with probably twice hp as standard car.

As I run cars in winter a 0W is IMO more appropriate than a 20W

Any views on following re start up wear
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF7/747.html

quote:

One of the members of the Ferrari Chat web site went from a 40 to a 30 weight oil in his Ferrari 355 for racing in Texas. He noticed a drop in temperature but no change in oil pressure. This may seem odd but really makes perfect sense. Since the 30 weight oil is thinner he got better flow and therefore better cooling. The oil was at a lower temperature so it was not as thin than it would have been at the previous higher temperature.

Off the top of your head, do you remember how much cooler the oil temperature was with the thinner oil?

quote:

Originally posted by MGBV8:
Any views on following re start up wear
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF7/747.html

From the article:

quote:

"Some experts estimate"

Boy-O-Boy, that certainly nails the numbers down.
lol.gif

And if you use the numbers from the article, the average car engine north of the Mason-Dixon line would be worn out in about 2 years.

[ February 23, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

G-Man II, It is has been published. When the engine first came out in Dodge vechiles a High performance magizine did a full technical break down of a real production engine. They had the cooperation of DC and the insider type factoids were provided by DC. I am sure on of the Jeep or Dodge Dakota fans can provide you with a link!

MGBV8, With out knowing the HTHS and make up of the two oil the difference in oil pressure or lack their of and oil temp. by themselfs do not tell us everything. Again 10W40 Redline compared to say Castrol GTX 20W50. RL 10W40 has greater film strength then the GTX is going to shear less and is going to out flow the 20W50 GTX. THe RL also has more friction fighting additives and anti-wear additives. The base stocks for the two oils could not be more different.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
G-Man II, It is has been published. When the engine first came out in Dodge vechiles a High performance magizine did a full technical break down of a real production engine. They had the cooperation of DC and the insider type factoids were provided by DC. I am sure on of the Jeep or Dodge Dakota fans can provide you with a link!

JB, this engine was never spec'd for 10w30. When it was introduced 5w30 was the recommended oil.

I really do not think that AEHaas is recommending that everyone use 0W20 or 5W20 as you seem to imply. In fact, if you read his article, and some of his posts, you will see that he is just talking about matching an oil viscosity to a given engine and a given set of operating conditions. Yes, for some engines and operating conditions this could mean a 0W20, for others it could be something heavier.

I do agree with the idea of running an oil that will assure maximum oil pump flow through the engine, without losing flow over the oil pump relief valve - how does this not make sense?

Quote from novadude:

quote:

For example, my Chevy 327 has a standard 45 psi bypass spring installed. If I run 20W-50, it is not uncommon to see oil pressures reach 60 psi or higher. 5W-30 will result in lower pressures.

Here we go - this is not good....your relief valve is dumping oil and therefore some of your pump flow is being lost. It would be more beneficial in this case to run a thinner oil and realize 100% of the pump flow through the engine bearings etc.

Quote from JohnBrowing:

quote:

My Dodge Dakota did not bypass unti 110PSI even though the redline was around 5500RPM's-6000RPM's.

I would really be interested in how you determined this - how did you know that there was no bypass until 110 PSI?

quote:

One of the members of the Ferrari Chat web site went from a 40 to a 30 weight oil in his Ferrari 355 for racing in Texas. He noticed a drop in temperature but no change in oil pressure. This may seem odd but really makes perfect sense.

Over ten years ago I used to regularly switch between 10W-30 and 0W-5 oils in a race car (Formula Ford), and never had to adjust the pressure (externally adjustable dry sump pressure pump). I always used the 0W-5 in qualifying, and in races up to about 25*C ambients.
I have no idea what oil temps we used to see on the track.
dunno.gif

We also never used more than 30PSI @ 7000RPM without problems.
One thing that did need doing was to tighten up bearing clearances from when we used straight 30 and XW-40 oils. Cavitation erosion was obvious in the bearing shells. (Vandervell bearings)

Hi,
the issues related to oil pressure and flow are wide and varied - and complex from the design stage through to production. The lubrication systems within various engine families are now more complex than ever before with the oil having roles other than lubrication alone. It is not a case of one "theory" fits all

And, this is the issue I have with the "AEHaas Articles". Quoting from research projects does not necessarily mean that these concepts or results are easily translated into the real world! Millions of engines are sold into the hands of Mr Average Everyman. They must survive in the real world of commuting or high speed Autobahning, climbing mountains in the snow (and coming down too)or punishing the vehicle on mud tracks, towing trailers and etc! And Mr Everyman is not a Technician, most see the car as a item, a facility - and that's that in their eyes!!

Perhaps some people can experiment with borderline viscosities etc, that is what BITOG is all about - sharing knowledge and enthusiasm. We must surely keep and open mind but we must also deal with facts and reality!

As an example, Porsche V8s have a OP relief valve setting of 8.5bar (125psi)
Porsche states that at 4kRPM or 5kRPM (engine model specific)the OP must be at 5bar (74psi) with oil at 80+C using 5w-40 synthetic (minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5cSt required)
It is common for these engines to show 5+bar (limit of gauge) at 2kRPM regardless of the viscosity used. They typically show OP at idle from 5bar (20w-50) to 2bar (5w-40) with the oil at 80+C (the oil cooler thermostat "cracks" at 87C).
A recent test on a dyno using 15w-50 M1 showed that these engines are near to 8bar at 6krpm with hot oil - imagine them with any oil, cold!

These engines "tighten up" with synthetic oils of around 15w-50 viscosity - you can only imagine what the relief valve is doing with oil below 80C. One reason for this "feeling" is the complexity of the 32v engine with hydralic valve adjustment/actuation and etc - along with the high oil system pressure. They perform and feel best with an Approved 0w-40 or a 5w-40 viscosity!

So the best of theories don't always fit!
Use a non approved low viscosity lubricant with a low HTHS and you risk engine damage - a proven result with these engines!
Use a high viscosity oil with a HTHS around 5cSt and spend lots of time on bypass and perhaps with some unfiltered oil in the process! And perhaps a reduced engien life - and less engine performance and economy!
Use the Approved lubricants - the product of a lot of the Manfacturer's engineering development and the benefits are very real. With engine life nearing 1m kms in many cases and at least one engine nearing 1.6m kms without a rebuild

I have tried to make a similar point too regarding diesel engines in other specific threads

AEHaas's comments regarding heavy diesel engines on another thread on here won't be getting any comments from me

IMHO the Manufacturer really does know best and their recommendations for real world use are usually not far from perfect! They certainly are for Mr Average Everyman

I hope this adds something to the topic

Regards

Doug,

I agree that the Manufacturer should really does know best and their recommendations for real world use are usually not far from perfect.

However in the articles it was stated that there is an expectation that the cars will be on track and perhaps driven hard. If this is not the case then perhaps a different viscosity would work better with regard to start up protection, I assume Porsche would have same expectation. The window that gives us some indication is oil temp and pressure.

The manufacture is not always right and the classic is BMW with the change to a 60 oil. This gives me concern when dropping viscosity as the window may not give the best result.

The refer to handbook also does not work when it was written 30 years ago or when the engine has been modified.

The other interesting aspect is that for track use I would reach for an esters based oil and try to keep same viscosity rather than go up to a M1 15W50. Any indication from Porsche on this aspect?

These articles are based on providing the best cold start protection and perhaps accept more wear at normal running. Actually quantifying the clod start wear problem would be useful.

My understanding is that the aw additives start to work at 60c but is this sump temperature or at the bearing. If its at the bearing then the 60c is reached a lot quicker than general oil warm up.

The evidence appears a little "thin" on ground, so for a road car in winter I prefer a stretch with a 0W40 and use 5W40 or 15W40 in summer, and are unlikely to change to a thinner oil for road use but the articles have given me thought with regard to some experimentation.

Hi,
MGBV8 - thanks for your comments

As to the 30 years old handbook this is interesting - search in here the 1941 oil viscosity recommendations for US cars that I have posted. The viscosities are interesting indeed

When the Mini came out in 1959 a specially formulated oil was required Duckhams 20w-50. It was the first "heavy" multigrade - 10w-30s had been out for years. You could use the same oil viscosity today in the same engine without an issue of course. We used 10w-30 20w-20, 20w-30, 20w-50 and mono HD oils in BMC "A" "B" and "C" series engines around the world in various markets without problems - as you could today. We got very good engine life at that time.
The '74 MGB I sold a couple of years ago ran well on 15w-50 and 5w-40 synthetics - the 5w-40 wasn't in the Handbook but met the original viscosity "intent" of the Handbook
The engine felt better on the 5w-40 though

BMW's move to a more viscous oil was more manufacturing quality control related than anything else as I recall and was engine model specific.
I have used M1 10w-30 and 0w-40 in mine - the engine was unduly noisy at startup - but the "sweet point" is its current 5w-40
It is never "cold" where I live in the Tropics
and the oil temperature is always around 100-105C when warm and never varies regardless of ambient or driving style - even with an hour or six above 160kmh (100mph)

Castrol has a great reputation with racing oils and I was brought up with the beautiful smell of Castrol "R" (castor) oil as we raced motor cycles (Nortons, BSAs and Triumphs)in my family
Castrol still has the castor based racing oil but typically their Club Racing or Track Day recommendations here are;

Castrol SLX 0w-30 (since replaced by "R" 5w-30) or,
Castrol "R" 10w-60

These are not their (Castrol's) "normal" use viscosities recommended for Porsche or BMW.
However, BOTH viscosities fit into BMW's Handbook. Both of the lighter oils are Porsche Approved - so is the 10w-60 version but this viscoity is NOT recommended by Porsche and is typically NOT used by Club/Track racers!

Specific racing oils are not part of the discussion here though and the relevant section does that well

It is a complex issue but remember we are not Mr Average Everyman or we would not be here on BITOG

Thanks MGBV8

Regards
Doug

[ February 24, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back