Difference between Wix 57899 and Amsoil EAO11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing my oil yesterday and I compared the open end of the used Amsoil EAO11 and the new Wix 57899 and they were identical all the way down to the numbers stamped in the metal and the lettering on the orange rubber backflow gasket. Has anyone ever cut these two apart and seen if they are exactly the same filter? Wix is $6.60 ea and the Amsoil is about $18 ea.

imho amsoil is over priced. as with many manufactures, the buy and relabel products. amsoil is known for oil, not mfging filters. what they do relabel is usually quality "stuff", but they charge allot to relabel with their name.

^That is simply not accurate.

The media is most assuredly different in the two filters alone. A standard Wix uses glass-enhanced paper media (a blend), but the Amsoil EaO uses fully synthetic media, has a much larger ADBV generally speaking, a thicker canister, etc.

However, Amsoil 'does' have contracts with those that make filters for their EaO lineup. This doesn't limit what they use in their labeled filters to themselves only, necessarily, BUT it is definitely without question a product of high-end quality.

Price is always a [censored] shoot. Napa Platinum, Purolator Synthetic, are all coming in on the fully synthetic media market. Royal Purple, Amsoil, and perhaps a few others for passenger cars have had fully synthetic media filter for a while now.

AFAIK, K&N, Mobil1, Fram Xtended Guard, Boscho Distance Plus, and some other high-end filters aren't completely synthetic media filters.

However, most regard them as very good filters on this site and they are. For me, I can get an Amsoil filter around $10 shipping included when I'm making a buy, and that's with their current 'deal' for previous PC that keep purchasing at least once a year without renewal. I could also get Amsoil EaO filters down the street at a downtown shop, but it's cheaper to buy it online! lol

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk
I was changing my oil yesterday and I compared the open end of the used Amsoil EAO11 and the new Wix 57899 and they were identical all the way down to the numbers stamped in the metal and the lettering on the orange rubber backflow gasket. Has anyone ever cut these two apart and seen if they are exactly the same filter? Wix is $6.60 ea and the Amsoil is about $18 ea.

Yes Amsoil does/did contract with Wix to build SOME of their filters, using the proprietary media, not the standard WIX media. Wix isn't going to make all new tooling to make Amsoil filters, hence the external sameness. This has been mentioned thousands of times on BITOG and the first response is incomplete.

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk

No, it means they have exactly the same endcap. You aren't paying for the endcap with the AMSOIL filter, you are paying for the Donaldson SYNTEQ media.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
No, it means they have exactly the same endcap. You aren't paying for the endcap with the AMSOIL filter, you are paying for the Donaldson SYNTEQ media.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Yes Amsoil does/did contract with Wix to build SOME of their filters using the proprietary media, not the standard WIX media. Wix isn't going to make all new tooling to make Amsoil filters, hence the external sameness. This has been mentioned thousands of times on BITOG and the first response is incomplete.

100% truth.

Last edited:
You can get some excellent filters like a M1 and a Bosch D+ for less than an Amsoil filter. But The Amsoil is a slightly better filter than those two (especially for extended OCI) and if you want the absolute best then got with the Amsoil Ea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back