by mcrn
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Suggested Oil/Filter Combination?
by G_Dub
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
I Am Selling My Engine Shop We Made The Deal Today
by crazyoildude
Yesterday at 11:02 PM
Oil ingredients displayed on back of bottles.
by Hoofhearted
Yesterday at 10:52 PM
Mobil 1 EP Oil Filters
by lukejo
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
2004 2500hd rear diff oil
by Alltherage
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
This is what hapens when your wife picks the color
by Chris142
Yesterday at 10:10 PM
Purolator's Lack of Communication. Contacts.
by nobb
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Harley-Davidson Oil Capacities
by SwedishRider
Yesterday at 09:21 PM
pinging on hot days w/AC on, premium grade?
by tacoguy714
Yesterday at 09:20 PM
quality filter for 07 3.0 duratec
by 1990LTD
Yesterday at 08:20 PM
oil for my '15 6.7 Powerstroke
by littleboss
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
Newest Members
QuickLubeRich, G_Dub, Adamr955, Hudson, Bleekeller
50718 Registered Users
Who's Online
52 registered (andrewg, abycat, 2010_FX4, andyd, 901Memphis, Andy636, 4 invisible), 1208 Guests and 233 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
50718 Members
64 Forums
216667 Topics
3409711 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2589224 - 04/04/12 07:34 AM Re: What problems using kerosene in a diesel? [Re: TiredTrucker]
Cujet Offline

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
[quote=bullwinkle]
Really? 2-cycle oil will up the lubricity considerably? Not according to this study...http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/education/lubricity%20additive%20study%20results.pdf

That study shows that a comparatively tiny quantity of the cheapest 2 stroke oil makes a huge difference. A 0.5% concentration results in a 162 micron improvement. At the tested 200/1 ratio, the cost is mere pennies per tankful.

My tests were done with Penzoil TCW-III Semi Synthetic Premium outboard oil at 100 to 1, a better oil, at twice the ratio. Plus I also used a double dose of Stanadyne Lubricity additive.

I spoke with the HFRR rig tech, he has been doing diesel fuel testing for years. Hence the 3 samples I sent in. They were not my original "guesses" but rather suggestions from the tech, tailored to my engines' needs.

It was his way of showing me what was required to make Jet-A work properly in a precision diesel. You know what? He was right. It took significant additives to make Jet-A meet the requirements.

FYI, there was some discussion between us about the film strength of the 2 stroke oil preventing metal to metal contact and that the Stanadyne product helps prevent scaring when that film strength is insufficient. It was his contention that they were somewhat different in modes of protection.

#2598426 - 04/13/12 09:38 AM Re: What problems using kerosene in a diesel? [Re: Shaman]
Stephen_G Offline

Loc: Mount Holly New Jersey
When i was in the USAF we had several trucks that were certified to run on JP4 (JetB) JP8 (JetA) and Diesel, only thing it said was, performance on jet fuel was lower by a little bit, like top speed was 2mph slower than the diesel only one.

Diesel has to meet cetane requirements, which is similar to octane in gasoline

Kerosene has to have no sulfur due to it being a heating fuel (imangine the smell)

Jet Fuel has to have more additives and meets stricter requirements for water than Diesel and Kero, but has next to none for sulfur.

If you are going to run Kero in a diesel, ensure you put a gal of diesel in to ensure you get some sulfur into it for the fuel pump, new diesels are not as picky for the sulfur as they are designed for ultra low sulfur diesel, but older ones are very picky, read up on the GM 350 Diesel and the fuel pump problems due to ULSD. Use at your own risk.

#2599970 - 04/15/12 05:39 AM Re: What problems using kerosene in a diesel? [Re: JHZR2]
Shannow Offline

Loc: a prison island
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Kerosine ha a different viscosity characteristic - not necessarily good for moving parts. Believe the aromatics may have been all removed too.

Yeah, back in the day, we used to fill industrial gearboxes with kero and "lap" the gears in under very light load.

aromatics aren't very good in an inside lamp/heater.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2