1998 buick lesabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a 1998 buick Lesabre with the 3800 3.8L engine on March the 30th 2012. Drove 200 miles. Coolant resevoir was empty. filled to full cold mark. drove 500 miles (engine ran cool), started back, engine temp started to climb. 220 or so. stopped got gas, resevoir was empty again. filled resevoir to line AGAIN, engine cooled down no problem. About 150 miles from home in AZ, engine temp climbed to 220 again and suddenly temp climbed to red line and oil light came on. Drove another mile to find safe place to pull over and car died. Radiator was empty. Oil had coolant in it.
Dealer is trimg to put FULL blame on me. Help

File a complaint with the BBB against the dealer in detail what has happened and what you have attempted to do to correct the problem, but you bought a 15 year old car and this is not surprising. You should of taken the car to a mechanic you trust to look it over. Does this car come with at least 3,000 mile/3month warranty?

Originally Posted By: leondrew
Purchased a 1998 buick Lesabre with the 3800 3.8L engine on March pull over and car died. Radiator was empty. Oil had coolant in it.
Dealer is trimg to put FULL blame on me. Help

What kind help are you looking for?
To say you have a blown headgasket?

Happens everyday. Some people put barrs headgasket sealent in and sell their cars.

You can sue in small claims but I hear collecting in Az is tough. I would take an oil sample and coolant sample

Put the dealers name out there.
I had a problem with a Christmas gift card from a big bank lost by a young son. It was registered unused and for months they said a new one was coming. Never did. Then they just refused to give me anything.

I started a website with the story, pictures of the head of the company who was also a director of a large charity. If you googled the charity her picture came up and my site "xxx ruins childs christmas" came up.

Her sec called and they refunded double my sons money in just a few days.

Last edited:
BBB will do nothing. They have no legal clout. Who honestly looks a company up on BBB before buying something?

If your state has a warranty of merchantability/ inspectability law it may help you. My state only gives you three days though.

If you bought it "as is" your screwed. look over the fine print of any warranty you have, and google GM 3800 intake manifold gasket failure or gm dexcool lawsuit and print some examples and show the dealer.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1824694

GM 3800 series II are famous for lower intake manifold failures... That has been discussed on bitog numerous times. Otherwise a solid motor

I wouldnt drive that milkshake filled engine until you get it fixed
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Intake manifold gasket probably, it is a common but easily repaired problem on the 3.8l engine, provided its not run an extended period of time with coolant contaminated oil. The fact that it overheated and stalled, doesn't bode well, but the 3.8 is an all cast iron engine and should tolerate a mild overheat.

What, excactly is the dealer accusing you of doing wrong, that you kept driving when there was something obviously wrong under the hood? In that case he may have a small point, be it should still be covered under the standard boiler plate used car warranty.
However, if purchased "as is" you may be on the hook for the repair which should be around $500-700.

Also, if a credit card was used for any portion of the purchase call the card issuer and open dispute on that amount ASAP.

BBB is waste of time, you need this fixed now.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I agree with the others that BBB is a waste of time. Friends of mine have used them in the past to no avail. I hope everything works out for you.

I think it should be standard practice to pressure test all cooling systems on used cars before purchase in order to see if there's a leak like this before handing over good money.

Should go double for GM cars.

BC.

hi. dealer accused me of running engine hot til destroyed engine. temp never got over 220 til it shot to the red mark, oil light came on and the endto the end.had to drive short distance like that to pull off busy highway.safety first right. filed smallclaimyesterdayfor mydown pmtbacl, told all i can do.thanks

i bought car in good faith that it was all that.107000 miles on a 98 buick. thought awsome low miles for a 98. right. i bought and drove to ca right away for job physical 500 miles from home. good intentions cost me $1000, a car, bus ticket back, ect
thanks

hi.I was just looking for feedback about this 3.8L engine and related coolant/mechanical issues.
thanks

Sounds like a blown head gasket. I'm just going to go ahead and say that the antifreeze should always be topped off by the resevoir. If the resevoir is empty, fill the radiator first and THEN fill the resevoir.

In all seriousness your upper intake manifold probably just failed and allowed coolant into the cylinders,your engine may be hydrolocked I doubt the head-gaskets went.

Its worth a try if you still have the car. You can get an UIM of rockauto for around $70-80. its about a 2-3hr job max.

I've never had it happen to me but I've heard it happen to several people. I was proactive and changed my UIM and LIM gaskets out early.

Thats why the internet is your friend when it comes to problems now. You can alway research common issue with a model,engine etc. and see them before they come.

Originally Posted By: DC44
In all seriousness your upper intake manifold probably just failed and allowed coolant into the cylinders,your engine may be hydrolocked I doubt the head-gaskets went.

Its worth a try if you still have the car. You can get an UIM of rockauto for around $70-80. its about a 2-3hr job max.

I've never had it happen to me but I've heard it happen to several people. I was proactive and changed my UIM and LIM gaskets out early.

Thats why the internet is your friend when it comes to problems now. You can alway research common issue with a model,engine etc. and see them before they come.

Don't ever just change the upper intake on this engine UNLESS the lower has already been done with the steel framed gaskets.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Sounds like a blown head gasket. I'm just going to go ahead and say that the antifreeze should always be topped off by the resevoir. If the resevoir is empty, fill the radiator first and THEN fill the resevoir.

3800 Series II's almost never blow head gaskets. Guaranteed it's the lower intake manifold gaskets that blew out.

If the car's been sitting with milkshake in it for 2 weeks, it's time for a new motor. The coolant in the oil has had time to pit the rod bearings, and it'll have rod knock if it ever runs again.

Fortunately, 3800 Series III motors are fairly inexpensive, and already have the proper lower intake manifold gaskets. $800 for a new motor including DIY installation, and the car's up and running again. 1998 Buick LeSabres are otherwise rock-solid mechanically.

I agree on the metal lower intake gaskets which I do have installed.

But if someone is in a bind or car on the side of the road that may be the best option for the time being.

That being said my lower intake gaskets leaked before the UIM ever had a chance to fail but I did change mine just in time. I was able to poke a hole ithinto the UIM around the egr tube area. But the LIM gaskets was more of a slow steady leak not a major failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back