Well ... we JUST bought a Prius.. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic

[censored]. The 1st gen Prius are turning out to be complete disasters, needing MG2 stators, steering racks, battery packs and inverters.

The 2nd gen Prius are OK but I would not say the traction batteries are bulletproof by any means. Just look on priuschat and you will see that failures are not uncommon by the 200k mark, sometimes even sooner depending on the region. Struts are a very common maint item on the Gen 2 Prius based on the cars I've seen and the reports on the forum.

Again, this is not true. Battery pack replacements are common on the Gen 1, and the Gen 2 packs will likely require replacement eventually. There have already been a number of failures as reported no the Priuschat forum.

Listen, your 'VS', 'not true', priuschat references etc. are a bit feminine. I don't go by priuschat, but by over 300 cabs around me with the Prius population getting over 60% mark. They put the first ones in service 3.5 years ago, so wrong generation. NiMH batteries those used love to be within 40% to 60% of their capacity, and that's what perpetual cab service does. It may not apply to OP's situation, but my remark was about general Prius state of affairs in today market. Of course, if it helps you in your "My Prius is better than yours" cause, by all means, go ahead, as I do not have and do not plan to have that car. My cars are in different sector of the market.

feminine, haha
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: The Critic

[censored]. The 1st gen Prius are turning out to be complete disasters, needing MG2 stators, steering racks, battery packs and inverters.

The 2nd gen Prius are OK but I would not say the traction batteries are bulletproof by any means. Just look on priuschat and you will see that failures are not uncommon by the 200k mark, sometimes even sooner depending on the region. Struts are a very common maint item on the Gen 2 Prius based on the cars I've seen and the reports on the forum.

Again, this is not true. Battery pack replacements are common on the Gen 1, and the Gen 2 packs will likely require replacement eventually. There have already been a number of failures as reported no the Priuschat forum.

Listen, your 'VS', 'not true', priuschat references etc. are a bit feminine. I don't go by priuschat, but by over 300 cabs around me with the Prius population getting over 60% mark. They put the first ones in service 3.5 years ago, so wrong generation. NiMH batteries those used love to be within 40% to 60% of their capacity, and that's what perpetual cab service does. It may not apply to OP's situation, but my remark was about general Prius state of affairs in today market. Of course, if it helps you in your "My Prius is better than yours" cause, by all means, go ahead, as I do not have and do not plan to have that car. My cars are in different sector of the market.

I don't visit priuschat either, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there are probably more than 300 registered owners there, so the combined experience of those owner's are probably a better indication of the state of the vehicle than the experience of 300 cab drivers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy

I don't visit priuschat either, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there are probably more than 300 registered owners there, so the combined experience of those owner's are probably a better indication of the state of the vehicle than the experience of 300 cab drivers.

Not necessarily, as 1 in 1000 failures will be likely posted on the priuschat, while the remaining 999 people without failure will net start a thread every day how they didn't have a failure today.

The true measures of car problems (like true delta) show Prius to be one of the most failure free cars ever.

I didnt waste my time to read all the hate posted in this thread for the Prius and/or your purchase. All I will say is there was a ton of misinformation from the couple pages I did read.

I think you did right on your purchase given the miles of the car. Congratulations. As initially mentioned some proper maintenance issues on this car are important.

In regards to the hybrid battery, mine has 231k on it and I have zero concerns that it will not last to at least 300k.

To the OP: Congrats on your purchase. As some has pointed out change the coolant, and I would change the tranny fluid - very easy to do on the Prius. Some one mentioned the 12V battery and that is a very good suggestion given the age of the car. Not a whole lot of other things to look out for. Inverter coolant pumps do fail, might want to bleed the 7 year old brake fluid, change the air filter and cabin air filter, ect. If you do not have a engine heater, they are very easy to install and will help with your mileage. I think 0W-20 was back speced for the Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back