Number Plate Buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big fan of american style plates, and feel they add something to the car.

Here is my style of plate on my Camry - very plain. For the range of styles available, NSW's choices are really quite bad, unless you are a footy bogan. I wish they'd improve it... Share yours if you'd like.

Not actual rego, but this is the style anyway.
oznswslimpair.JPG

Funny, because if you own a VW/Audi, it's "cool" to put a European Union plate behind your American State plate. That's the thing in New York City, anyway.

Ih 1964 NZ changed to a thick black alloy plate, with the stamped numbers and letters machined off for silver on black....these started with AA100 for cars. In 1986 they changed to a thin reflective white plate with raised black lettering like the Aussie one pictured. In 2001 we ran out of 2 letters (ZZ9999) and started 3 letters and 3 numbers. Motorcycles went to white plates in the early '90's.

If you let the rego lapse too long you have to reregister, and get new plates.

So black plates are cool - I have a black plate on my motorcycle. You see so many old cars and bikes with new plates - to have black plates means it's been on the road all the time.

$500-600 p.a. for personalied plates is a joke in this state...second owner wins.

My E30 came to me with DVS-30E, and I didn't pay a skerrick for having them...but I can't sell them.

For instance - I like themes like this: (but they must be the default, no point paying extra)

ak76-2.jpg

I always wanted a plate, with the maximum number of characters. 9, I think in Florida. And arranged to be difficult to remember.

0D8E3I1LD

or

E3E30DO8K

or

L1IMNWKI1

or

MNWWNMMNW

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I always wanted a plate, with the maximum number of characters. 9, I think in Florida. And arranged to be difficult to remember.

0D8E3I1LD

or

E3E30DO8K

or

L1IMNWKI1

or

MNWWNMMNW

That's fantastic.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Share yours if you'd like.

Here's a defunct Illinois tag. Still boring (unless they replaced Lincoln's pic) for one of our Governor's in jail(must have bars in the image). I'd pay extra for that! Not a state bird!!!

iltag1.jpg

Originally Posted By: oppirs
Originally Posted By: crinkles
Share yours if you'd like.

Here's a defunct Illinois tag. Still boring (unless they replaced Lincoln's pic) for one of our Governor's in jail(must have bars in the image). I'd pay extra for that! Not a state bird!!!

iltag1.jpg

Jailbird for the state bird?!

Originally Posted By: morepwr

Jailbird for the state bird?!

Yes,Yes,Yes...I'd pay double to have our 2 ex-gov's on the plate/tag showing prison bars across the whole licence plate.
grin.gif

Not fair for downstate folks at least make it a city sticker.

Last edited:
People out west would razz me on NH's moto when I was a ski bum just out of college:

nh_license_plate2.jpg

1 of these (pickup truck):

c_easternmed.gif

1 of these (antique car... AV aka Antique Vehicle):

antiquemed.gif

1 of these (motorcycle):

motorcyclemed.gif

1 of these (utility trailer):

tatrailermed.gif

...and others as well.

Our standard plate: (On Two of my vehicles today):
plate.jpg

Liked them better when they had blue stamped and raised numbers, but they're all flat black now (cheaper to produce and claimed better visibility).

Specialty plate on the Jeep:
mn2006loon.jpg

Specialty plate that was on the old truck I sold:
mn2006supporttroops.jpg

These plates ended up being popular to steal, according to my local police department (and it happened to me). They were harder to read the numbers, thus could be put on a stolen car and be harder to read. They number area is now nearly all white and does not look all that good...

There was a period when I was young that our state embossed the outline of PA on the plate. I thought that was cool:
pa70carVarExc.JPG

We've had the keystone and once the Liberty Bell used as a dash in the numbering:
pa7639rVar.JPG

For "hard to read" (more like impossible to read) you can't beat the Flagship Niagara plate:
pa2002flagship.jpg

I bumped into an article indicating this plate spawned some new rules about reviewing plates before they are introduced.

Our current plates are so yucky I wouldn't bother boring you with an image.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oppirs

iltag1.jpg

And in true Illinois fashion, we've had those for a decade now (since 2001) and some are starting to look a little shabby by now. But they can't hold a candle to the previous design we had (the two-tone blueish gray) which was in use from 1983-2001! Lots of people had plates that were little more than squares of rusted tin. Unreadable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back