Do I need to worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday when I was done mowing I stupidly walked my push mower (Toro Super Recycler) into the garage running. I ran over a ratchet tie down strap and it sucked it up and got tangled in the blade. The engine shut off and wouldn't immediately start back up. I walked away for a little while and it started right up when I tried it. I'm not sure if there is a slight vibration or not now. I removed the blade and it appears to be slightly bent.

I'm going to replace the blade. Do I need to worry about anything else. This was a very expensive machine and I'm not sure if I should bring it in to be looked at or if I'm worrying about nothing. I called the shop and they basically said "You'd know if something was broken." Not my favorite answer. I'm worried about a bent crankshaft. Any opinions?

It sounds as if time will tell. I'd change the blade and see how the new blade looks on the mower. I wouldn't think the spindle would be damaged, but you never know. See what the new blade looks like and then run it. The answer you received from the shop is not ideal, but true. Run it and see if you perceive a difference.

I have the same mower, 2007 model. Around 1-2 years ago, I ran over a cable once that tangled the blade and it was a terrific event. It shut off the mower as well. I replaced the blade because part of it broke. The mower works fine and I never experienced any ill effects from it, other than almost needing a new pair of pants.

I doubt a ratchet strap did any severe damage. It usually takes a little more than that.

As the shop said, if you bent the crank, you will know. The mower will be loud and will probably shake a whole lot.

On a Briggs engine, it's more common to shear the flywheel key at the top of the crankshaft. It's a $2 part, if that. If the key shears just a little, the only problem you might notice is that ignition timing is off and it seems to have a miss.

A bent or out of balance blade will cause vibrations. The first thing I'd do is replace the blade to make sure. I don't suggest hammering it back straight-given the velocity at which they spin, if the metal is fatigued it could cause more damage.

The second thing I'd do is make sure my garage floor is clean, and ratchet straps are put away in the cupboard where they belong.

I sucked up my $10 rubber mulch ring last weekend
frown.gif
. I guess it could have been worse. I have no problems going over it when I mulch, but I was bagging. It sucked it right up, and killed the motor as well.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
So yesterday when I was done mowing I stupidly walked my push mower (Toro Super Recycler) into the garage running. I ran over a ratchet tie down strap and it sucked it up and got tangled in the blade. The engine shut off and wouldn't immediately start back up. I walked away for a little while and it started right up when I tried it. I'm not sure if there is a slight vibration or not now. I removed the blade and it appears to be slightly bent.

I'm going to replace the blade. Do I need to worry about anything else. This was a very expensive machine and I'm not sure if I should bring it in to be looked at or if I'm worrying about nothing. I called the shop and they basically said "You'd know if something was broken." Not my favorite answer. I'm worried about a bent crankshaft. Any opinions?

You are fine.
I ran into a piece of 3/4 pipe with my LawnBoy that was at at a 45 degree down angle. Almost flipped the mower over and startled me. The engine must have gone from max revs to fully stopped in milliseconds. Blade was FUBAR, and I thought the crank was gone as well. I disassembled the engine (it had a lower seal that on it's way out anyway) and checked the crank. It was as good as new.
Those Toro/Lawn-Boy mowers are tougher than you think!

Originally Posted By: CaptainNed
Um, he's dead, Jim.

LOL, You've never used JB Weld?

Actually was a minor setback, I was cutting again using same mower approx 30 minutes after the pict was taken... No not with that engine, I had a spare parts engine that was called to duty... That replacement had already worn out one Snapper deck(probably 50% heaver gauge than average)and lasted another four years till it finally puked the rod last year... Used a few pieces on another mower, mostly junked now...

BTW, that Plum stump wasn't even mine, was in the neighbors yard(they've since had it removed)I was just cutting around it to be a nice guy...

Well I put it new blade on and it seems fine...

Errrrr well except that the self propel doesn't work. Grrr

I have straightened cranks like these while still in the engine using a torch and a heavy hammer. You might need a new oil seal after that, but may not.
Remove blade. heat up the crank in the bent area and whack it, spin it by hand and see how true it is.

All these horror stories about cables and fruit trees and rubber landscape curbing...?
cool.gif
Let me review what you missed when your were sick and the instructor went over such things. When you see something in front of you that is big or steel or industrial webbing or a fruit tree, stop walking and you are pretty sure it is not grass, pick the G D thing up. And don't run over it!

And to answer the OPs original question, Yes You Need to Worry
laugh.gif

Now that you have been told there is no reason for this to happen again. Carry on Men!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sdowney717
I have straightened cranks like these while still in the engine using a torch and a heavy hammer. You might need a new oil seal after that, but may not.
Remove blade. heat up the crank in the bent area and whack it, spin it by hand and see how true it is.

I've done same but you really need to use a dial indicator to be sure it's true, they'll still vibrate at .010 runout and that's hard to see with just a feeler gauge...

Last year, I ran my beloved Kawasaki powered Snapper over a stump. Bent the blade and the crank a bit. Ugh.

Anyway, I put the blade in my hydraulic press and within a few minutes, it was as true as ever.

The crank was another story. I put a dial indicator on it and it was (by memory) 0.060 inches out. Not good. So, I started wailing away on it with a 5 pound sledge. Nothing to lose, right? As it's either a new engine or it will work. (I'm not going to take it apart, for lack of time)

Anyway, I'd call it a 100% success. The crank was down to 0.002 runout, and the blade worked perfectly. Believe it or not, it's smoother than I ever remember. I've been a mowing fool this year and it's been holding up perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back